1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

burning problems using fujifilm dvd+rw discs

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by visions1, Feb 19, 2007.

1. visions1

visions1 Guest

i'm new at this dvd burning thing so any help would be very much appericated...i'm using sony dru120c. when i try using nero 7 i get the illegal disc error so i read on this site to try imgburn but cannot burn with this either. i trying to burn an image file. my issue is only when trying to burn onto fujifilm dvd+rw discs. when i use hp dvd+r it burns with no problems. i got 50 of the fujifilm disc as a gift and don't want them to go to waste.

this is what i get when using imgburn....

I 15:22:38 ImgBurn Version 2.2.0.0 started!
    I 15:22:38 Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)
    I 15:22:38 Total Physical Memory: 523,568 KB - Available: 254,704 KB
    I 15:22:38 Initialising SPTI...
    I 15:22:38 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...
    I 15:22:39 Found 1 DVD±RW/RAM!
    I 15:22:42 Operation Started!
    I 15:22:42 Device: [1:0:0] SONY DVD RW DW-G120A MYR5 (D:) (SCSI)
    I 15:22:42 Media Type: DVD+RW (Disc ID: DAXON-D42-00) (Speeds: 4x)
    I 15:22:42 Quick Erase: No
    I 15:22:42 Erasing Disc...
    W 15:22:44 Potential 'WaitImmediateIO' Deferred Error - (0/4) - Cannot Write Medium - Incompatible Format
    E 15:22:48 Failed to Erase Disc - Cannot Write Medium - Incompatible Format
    E 15:22:48 Operation Failed! - Duration: 00:00:06

SONY DVD RW DW-G120A MYR5 (SCSI)
    Current Profile: DVD+RW

Disc Information:
    Erasable: Yes
    Formatted: No
    Free Sectors: 2,295,104
    Free Space: 4,700,372,992 bytes
    Free Time: 510:03:29 (MM:SS:FF)
    Supported Write Speeds: 4x

Physical Format Information (ADIP):
    Disc ID: DAXON-D42-00
    Book Type: DVD+RW
    Part Version: 2
    Disc Size: 120mm
    Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified
    Number of Layers: 1
    Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP)
    Linear Density: 0.267 um/bit
    Track Density: 0.74 um/track
    First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608
    Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 2,491,711
    Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 0

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):
    Disc ID: DAXON-D42-00
    Book Type: DVD+RW
    Part Version: 2
    Disc Size: 120mm
    Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified
    Number of Layers: 1
    Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP)
    Linear Density: 0.267 um/bit
    Track Density: 0.74 um/track
    First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608
    Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 2,491,711
    Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 0

Current Format Capacity:
    Sectors: 2,295,104
    Size: 4,700,372,992 bytes
    Time: 510:03:29 (MM:SS:FF)

Preferred Format Capacity:

Maximum Format Capacity:

i have no idea at all what this stuff means but i noticed that others use this to see what the problem might be...hope this helps me!!!

thank you

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

It may be a firmware issue,here's the latest:

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?download_id=2246

Your current firmware is MYR5. There's no listing that verion on my link for that firmware.It does list MYR3 and MYR4. MYL2 is the latest update for that drive. Looks like your drive is a rebadged lite-on.

There is a risk to flashing the firmware. Make sure no disc is inserted into that drive,no storms-possible power outages,and don't stop after starting the updating process.Download the MYL2-save to a folder you can locate easily,then close out. Find that folder,open it up,and follow directions to the fianal T.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2007
  3. visions1

visions1 Guest

i will try it now...thanks for the response

4. visions1

visions1 Guest

it said the update was sucessful and i restarted but still the same problem...thanks again for the tip! i can't seem to find much info about +rw discs so maybe they just are not compatible. would you suggest only using -rw's from here forward?

5. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

RW is a lower compatable format.

Daxon media isn't exactly quality stuff.This is the first report I've seen on fuji using daxon. Daxon R media is low on the quality spectrum. I haven't ever seen Daxon RW media. Sometimes the manufacturer of burners may run into problems with a certain media,therefore omitting that MID code from the latest firmware version.It's a way of telling a burner that it isn't allowed to burn that particular media.You'll usually get a no disc or a failure during the lead-in phase.

Your sony drive is a rebadged Lite-on. Lite-on drives have bitsetting capability to booktype the plus format media to dvd-rom,but you'll need a separate utility.This would make the plus format superior,if your drive can booktype-making for the highest compatable backups for stand alone players. The dash format can't be set to booktype.

Stand alones can have a harder time reading the RW format as apposed to the R formats.Same goes for Dual layer media as well.

You may have better luck with Verbatim or Ritek RW media if that's what you desire.Those RW's are great to practice around with,cost twice as much, and keep stuff on them temporarily,but drives will have a harder time reading them. Booktype those to dvd-rom as well for highest stand alone compatability.

If you ever run into any drives that give you a no disc error after inserting a backup,remember that your drive may have bitsetting capability to booktype. It comes in handy if you play those backups on a lot of different drives between yourself,family,and friends players.

Maybe someone else can add thier imput!!

6. visions1

visions1 Guest

wow...i appericate the explaination, the more i can learn the better. i'll give the other discs a try.

7. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Be cautious of those HP discs. If you start getting any problems-coasters,playback issues,etc-then switch to a higher quality media like verbatim or taiyo yuden.

You may have to wait for another firmware update or get another dvd drive to handle those +rws. As long as those +R's are working,you should be ok.