1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning problems with either Benq 1620 or Pioneer 107d

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by cherrypik, Dec 6, 2004.

1. cherrypik

cherrypik Member

If you make a backup of a DVD-R in 2x. Can you backup that backup at 8x(on the fly) if you have a 8x burner?

I'm having problems doing this and don't know why.

This is my current setup:
    Athlon 64 3000, 512
    Benq 1600(using as a DVD-ROM because it reads/writes at 16X)
    Pioneer 107D

Thanks

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

What specific problems are you having?

Burning a DVD on the fly is an invitation for problems in most cases. The data process has to go on perfectly with no interruptions (lossless linking will trash a video disc) and is especially difficult to achieve at high speeds. The safest and most reliable method for OTF copying is to set the write speed to something low such a 2X or 4X so the ROM can keep up with the write process in order too ensure uninterrupted data transfer.

Writing to a temp image doesn't take all that much longer and you'll be assured of a perfect copy every time :)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2004
  3. cherrypik

cherrypik Member

Thats what I thought. I'll burn the image to the hd. When I burn the image to the harddrive can it be set at the max burn speed? Then, when I burn the image from the hd to the burner can this also be set at the max? Does it matter? Will I lose picture qualityin the process.

One last questions. When I run the DVD speed test in Nero it does not read DVD's at 16x when the drive is a 16x with update firmware. The Benq drive(16x) reads like the Pioneers drive(8x). So i'm kind of lost with this speed thing!

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Absolutely :)

Not one bit.

As for the read speeds, I've never seen or heard of a ROM or burner reaching a full 16X. Thye most I've seen ROM's top out at is 14X and that's only for a potion of the disc, not the whole thing. Here's a link to some speed tests I did:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2/107206