1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

burning problems

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by fsfd1, Sep 15, 2004.

1. fsfd1

fsfd1 Member

i have a pioneer dvd-r drive and use nero burning rom to burn the dvds. I use dvd shrink to shrink the dvds and all operations go fine but when i come to watch the backkup copy i have made near the end of the dvd the frames start to jump and the dvd crashes

could some one help me please???

2. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Several possibilities.

1. You are burning to the extreme outer circumference of the disc, compress a little more in Dvd Shrink to reduce the overall filesize - maybe 4.2Gb....

2.Your media is of low quality, this may normally skip throughout the dvd and not near the end.

3.Slow the burning down - still related to low media quality.

There are others, but I would hazard a guess no.1 or no.2 is where you want to start looking.

Good media is considered to be Ritek, Tanyo, Maxell, Verbatim - what is it that you are using?

3. fsfd1

fsfd1 Member

i am using bulkpaq

thanks alot for that help wat size do you think i should shrinkl the disc to then

4. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Hmmmmm, tough one this, which way do I advise you..........anyway.......

Bulkpaq are considered to be low quality media, for video data transfer anyway..........

Well, if you have a few of them, you may aswell try anyway.

Blank dvd's are badged at 4.7Gb, this is incorrect the actual useable space is approx 4.36Gb Maximum.

Therefore you want to get your target down to around that size, I would say approx 4.2Gb (or even 4Gb flat), that way you will not burn the complete disc.

The problem is that alot players struggle to read the outer circumference of burned dvd's due to lower quality on the ouside and also the speed differential which causes a higher error correction - therefore inducing the hop, skips and jumps..............

I would advise you though to purchase higher quality media such as : Ritek GO4/GO5, Verbatim data life, Maxell, TDK, Taiyo Yuden...........Dvd's are so cheap now, you can pick up high quality for low cost.........

Let us know how you get on.

Oh and I forgot, Welocme to Afterdawn................

5. fsfd1

fsfd1 Member

i tried making a backup of peter kay which was 3.98 gb copying at 1x speed. the film this time started to skip rite at then end of the film. Do you think this is because of the media i am using or my dvd riter. I have made backyuos of me ps2 games but when it comes to dvds they all ways skip.
    thanks fior the previous help greatly appreaciated

6. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

fsfd1 ,
    baabaa gave you excellent advice. Pioneer's are usually good writers. I think it is the media. Even if you burned at 1X it did the same thing. Try to find locally some Maxells as I do not think you will find Ritek, Verbatims or the Tanyo's locally. Use a 2X blank media if you can find the Maxells as see if the quality is not a little better. The Bulkpaq can still be used for data like spreadsheets or pics so do not throw them away. Also check to make sure your firmware for the burner is up to date. Go to Pioneer's website and they should have the firmware up dates

7. fsfd1

fsfd1 Member

cheers mate

ill try some of them solutions