1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning PS2 games without a mod chip

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by ZTMXNETML, Feb 27, 2005.

1. ZTMXNETML

ZTMXNETML Member

Hey guys - I just signed up, wanted to tell you that you're really helpful.

I just bought MGS3 Snake Eater from Blockbuster, and was wondering how I can backup the game so that I don't have to keep buying it... *Laughs* you should see some of my other games that weren't kept in their boxes...Looks like I keep my games in the same pocket I keep my house keys in.

Anyways, I have a DVD+R DL DVD burner drive and the programs DVD Decrypter and Alcohol 120% and Nero.

Ive already turned the MGS3 game into an ISO file with DVD Decrypter, but the hard part is getting the DNAS key with the Disc ID Utility.

That poses another issue: Is it [bold]absolutely[/bold] necesary that I patch the ISO file with WinDIP 1.7 or similar so that I may play the backed-up game at all? Im having problems using the Disc ID Utility. What am I really supposed to do?

Here's what I did (Correct me if wrong):
    • Burned the .CUE and .BIN files with Alcohol 120% in the Playstation 2 format under the drop down box, and burned it. I was using a CD-R, which I just heard on these forums was not good while using the PStwo, the slimmer one that I have.

If you guys could tell me a trick or something on how to get these things to work, along with how to burn PS2 games without a mod chip or swap CDs that would be excellent. I don't really absolutely have to want to pay for anything, unless it's software, but if there's something i NEED, just tell me and Ill stop being lazy.

Thanks.

2. im_etten

im_etten Regular member

The easiest thing to do is do a disc to disc copy of Snake eater and use the Swap Magic to play the game. I don't think it is possilbe to play a backup game without the Swap Magic or a mod chip.

3. steimy

steimy Active member

Ok, let's start out by saying that renting a game and burning it is illegal.

But if you want to back up games you own, that's different.
    You will need swap magic and an aftermarket flip top, or slide tool to play any backups iwthout a mod chip.

You should just be able to take the disc and use DVD Decrypter to copy it to your hard drive, then DVD Decrypter to take it from the hard drive and burn it to a DVD.

Most games are DVD based so CD-R will not work. Look on the disc itself, if it has the DVD symbol you need to burn it on a DVD. I would say 99% of the games today are DVD based games.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/15105
    read this forum for instructions.