1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

burning ps2/psx games with alcohol

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by J0hnnyga, Jan 12, 2007.

1. J0hnnyga

J0hnnyga Regular member

so i read the guides about using alcohol to burn ps1 and ps2 games and they all say to change the data type to playstation or playstation 2 games, and to check skip read errors ,fast skip error blocks, and read sub channel from current disc. the thing is i change all those things and then when i go to select the data type and change it to either ps1 or ps2 it changes all the settings and only the read sub channels box is check and when i go to try to recheck the other boxes it changes the mode back to customization so.. i suppose im asking which way should i do it? check all the boxes and have it say customization or change it to playstation and have only the read sub channels checked?

2. orthogonl

orthogonl Regular member

Don't worry about those other settings, just do the following:

1. Insert quality blank CD/DVD into drive
    2. Open Alcohol 120%
    3. Image Burning Wizard->Browse to image file
    4. Set Write Speed to 4x or half the max speed of disc (16x->8x)
    5. Set Datatype to 'Play Station 2' (or 'Play Station' if you are burning a PSX game)
    5. Burn

Last edited: Jan 12, 2007
  3. J0hnnyga

J0hnnyga Regular member

so i shouldnt worry about the datatype when its reading? just check the boxes i said above and have it on customize?

4. orthogonl

orthogonl Regular member

To reiterate what I just said in the above instructions, just set the Datatype and write speed then proceed to burn the image to a disk.

5. J0hnnyga

J0hnnyga Regular member

maybe im not understanding... but i ment like when im creating the image file, not when im writing it to a blank media

6. coffey101

coffey101 Member

Orthogonl, sorry to add to the question from JOhnnyga.

I'm running Alcohol 1.9.6.4719. When I use the Image Burning Wizard, I browse to the .iso and click on next. Then I can set the recorder; Write Speed and the Write Options. However, I cannot in this screen define the Datatype as Playstation2.

I can find the Datatype setting for playstation2 in the options, but how do I know what datatype settings Alcohol will use for burning the image?

I did read through a lot of Afterdawn forums already and maybe missed the easy answer.

Your advice or threadlink is highly appreciated.

Edit, Not being to lazy, I had another look, I can see on the Image Maker Wizard, the option to set the datatype. Do I understand correctly, that when making an image from an original PS2 game, you set the datatype as playstation 2, however when you burn an image for a PS2 game taken from, let's say another source, I should trust the fact it is already a playstation2 datatype?

Still appreciate some elaboration.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2007
  7. NooobFTW

NooobFTW Guest

I think there's a third party plugin that shows this drop-down menu...