1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

burning rar to dvd - help!!!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by kepners, Jan 15, 2005.

1. kepners

kepners Member

I just cant do it captain.
    i have nero and i am trying to basically back up my hard drive files on dvd disk. But it just doesnt seem to work. it keeps hanging the files names from its full numbered (on HDD) to a 10 character version on the burned dvd.

I'm not sure if this is the problem to be honest. or whether its the folder that i'm using.
    I have tired complieing the rar from my burnt dvd and it tells me files are missing. but they are not. i have counted them
    anyway, one thing i have noticed is that file REATXT DVD R01 have been changed to RESDVDV1.rar when i look at the burned dvd.
    does that make any sense to anyone.

can someone help me please. i want to free up space on my hard drive.
    Regards - kepners

2. brobear

brobear Guest

First of all, Windows will allow you to name folders how you like within the operating system. As you found out, that isn't allowed when recording to DVD. There is a certain length and certain symbols are not allowed. If you have a number of improperly named folders, your system will keep stopping and inform you each time it comes across one. Winrar files don't cause recording problems on their own. The rar files would have to be corrupted before they were recorded or during the recording process. Another thing to remember is that it isn't a good idea to record folders over 3 deep (folder in a folder in ... you get the picture). For tasks like you're doing, packet writing software like Drag to Disc is handy. InterVideo was giving away some data writing software, didn't check it, so don't know if it is anything that would be helpful here. http://www.intervideo.com

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2005
  3. elliott

elliott Regular member

Don't know if this helps but I usually back up my files using easy creator classic and burn them to a dvd rw I currently using creator 7 but nero should have a basic burning program that would be capable. I am not a fan of drag to disc but brobear is almost never wrong.

4. brobear

brobear Guest

Just mentioned packet writing ware because it's easy for most. Since it's a problem with a lot of DVD movie recording programs, I avoid it on my system.

I copy everything I want into a big folder I call Moving Box, then use windows to burn. Just a lot of dragging, but that is normally the case in a situation of this sort. I don't need any of the recording suites to do this.

I only meant to mention Drag to Disc as an example. Even for the task of copying files it can be problematical if the user doesn't understand the program. If not closed properly, a disc takes a PC running Drag to Disc to open.

elliott
    Appreciate the vote of confidence. Utility work can be done in many ways with a lot of different software. For things like copying files, I just keep that simple and use Windows.

5. elliott

elliott Regular member

thumbs up brobear, I agree about drag to disc, I only use creator classic for dvd burning but you once again are correct using windows is better especially for compatability. take it easy

6. mpierce12

mpierce12 Member

I have a movie that's compresses into a .rar file type. I extract the files and they turn into a .bin file. How do I go about burning these files onto a dvd. TIA.

7. brobear

brobear Guest

Alcohol 120 will handle those files. Haven't used it in a while, you can check in the help topics of the program for help.