1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning region 1 on region 2 Sony DRU-510a

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by KillerBob, Feb 3, 2004.

1. KillerBob

KillerBob Member

Guys,

Can someone please confirm if it is possible to burn a region 1 DVD on my Sony DVD writer?

I have home videos, transferred to my PC, and using Roxio, or Adobe Premier, or Nero, I'd like to burn them onto DVD-r and send them to my friends in the US. However, I don't want to loose the region 2 setting in the firmware as most of DVD burning is for my family in Denmark.

Thx

2. pieman

pieman Regular member

yes u can.But you have to go into your burners properties and change the region code, and then change it back.But u only get 5 gos until it locks on the 5th.Alternatively dvd genie will stop u from having to change the region settings, or like me use a dvd rom drive as your source for the disc and get a hack for it(ive got a hitachihack for my lg dvdrom) which resets the player to 5 changes.I would have thought that there was a hacked firmware to make your sony region free, but having a pioneer i dont know.check out rpc-1.com that might help.If u use dvd shrik to burn, it will be region free anyway.

3. pieman

pieman Regular member

sorry...should have read rpc1.org

4. beetleman

beetleman Member

DVD Decrypter has a region patch function that will change or remove the region code of a DVD.

The DVD files will need to be saved to Hard Drive first, edited, then burnt with new region code.

Additionally, the IFO can be edited with IfoEdit to create a region free DVD.

Using IfoEdit, you can specify exactly which regions are valid.
    --> Open the file VIDEO_TS.IFO for you video with IfoEdit.
    --> Expand the file and click on VMGM_MAT
    --> In the bottom window go to address [00000023] VMG Category, Regional Code mask
    --> Double click this line and change the value to 252 (This is the dec value for region 1 and 2)
    --> Save the file and burn your files to disc.

Some useful region code dec values for IfoEdit:
    _Dec_|Region
    Value|Code(s)
    ------------
    254__| 1
    253__| 2
    252__| 1, 2
    251__| 3
    64___| 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8
    0____| 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note:
    - A DVD must have at least one region code or it won't play anywhere. (Don't use 255)
    - A region free DVD is actually an all region DVD. (0)

So if you patch the region code, you might want to make it 1 and 2, you and your friend/family.

Hope this helps,
    beetleman

Last edited: Feb 10, 2004