1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning Shenmue 2 (Dreamcast)

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Smeedom, Dec 18, 2007.

1. Smeedom

Smeedom Member

(I also posted this at TEZF, but 12 views and 0 replies hasn't given me much hope.)

NOTE: I own this game so don't lay an egg about copyright or anything.

I got it for Christmas some years ago & then let my "friend" borrow my whole Dreamcast collection. I sent my Dreamcast, 2 controllers, 2 memory units, rumble pack, light gun and 8 games - and when his mother brought it 'all' back, it was just the DC with the power lead missing (I'm using a PSX lead in its stead) and one controller. I was gutted.

Anyway! This Christmas, I really want to relive some old times and Shenmue will be the guest of honour. So... a week or so ago, I downloaded an "NTSC/PAL" version with the intentions of playing it in an emulator. I tried it in 3 emulators and it's slow as Hell and the quality is awful. Also, playing it on the PC is nothing like playing it on the actual DC so I want to burn it.

The files are MDS/MDF which I've done some reading on and have experimented with. I've just trashed 2 700Mb CDR's as Alcohol 120% seems to freak out after writing the first track. The errors were different for each so I dunno what the problem could be.

I'm burning at 12X (it's as slow as my writer will go, but I've read that it'll still work) in RAW DOA with overrun enabled (I can't imagine overrun support being the problem after burning a whole 75Mb), etc. What can I do from here?

I also had another question in my mind. To "play" it in the emulator, I used an old version of D-Tools to mount the image to a virtual drive. That obviously worked fine. I'm wondering... what're my chances of success if I use MagicISO to create an ISO from the virtual drive - and then try to burn that? I already have the ISO, but I've a suspicion that it won't work.

Thanks in advance & sorry if this kinda thing is annoying by now. ;x

[edit]

I can predict people advising me to buy it again "'cause it's only $10." I've just checked eBay for PAL versions and not only are there only 2 for sale, but they're just under £30 (roughly $60) so... no, I'm not going to buy it again. ;P

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Not to burst your balloon, but it doesn't matter if you own it. Breaking copy protection is not legal. I don't agree with it, one bit, but that doesn't matter.

3. Smeedom

Smeedom Member

Technically/legally, it'd be considered a legal backup which you're allowed... whether it's downloaded or not. There're PSX ROM sites which clearly state that even a downloaded ISO is a legal backup if you own the game. As I still own the game and just lost it, the backup is serving its purpose... as a backup.

[edit]

*ahem* Since posting... I did some more experimenting. 7 trashed CDR's later, I've come to the conclusion that Alcohol 120% throws its toys out of the pram when writing a track that won't fit on the medium. I experimented by writing images with the largest track first (which would fit) and then it complained when it came to write track #2 which wouldn't fit. Kinda defeats the object of overburning, but whatever...

If I'm correct in my findings, the DC will read games on a 800Mb CD. My image of Shennmue 2 (disk 1) has different sizes according to different tools, ranging from 640Mb to 816Mb, but the average is 780Mb. I may purchase a tub of 800Mb CDR's and see what luck I have. I also have access to 6 or 7 systems so I can try different writers if necessary.

Heh. Just my luck. Everyone else can just load up Alcohol 120% and (over)burn their games. ¬¬

Last edited: Dec 18, 2007
  4. philzone

philzone Regular member

wow! this brings back memories. i had the dreamcast too. it was always funny making bakups. perhaps your issue is this... a self booting dreamcast bakup is a multisession disc. there was a program called bin2boot that added the extras session(eliminated the need for a boot disc) i dont know about now, but bak in the day, most software couldnt reproduce this stuff properly. at the time, i successfully used diskjuggler to do this. later, i gave one to a friend, and found that clonecd(using raw dao mode) would also do the deed