1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

burning slow - please help

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by johnmark, Dec 29, 2004.

1. johnmark

johnmark Member

I have read through all the previous posts and I am having a similar problem. Here is some back ground. I was running Win2000 when I bought my burner. I bought what I thought was a Sony DW-D18A, which I later learned was really a LiteON SOHW-832S. After much research on the web I learned that because my drive is gear driven that I could flash it as a Sony DRU 700a. I took this chance and it worked. I started burning discs at around 15 min. I'm using Nero Ultra Edition 6. Then I decided to upgrade to XP. Since I upgraded I can still burn but now it takes 50 min to an hour. After reading and researching again I installed the ASPI drivers and according to ASPICHK all is well, but according to Nero InfoTool all is not well. So I decided to uninstall the drive and then reboot. This did not help. Then I decided to uninstall the IDE controller. When I rebooted it reinstalled, but now there is not advanced tab to check the DMA setting. I am not lost. Can you offer any help?

2. johnmark

johnmark Member

additionally, since upgrading to WinXP, my entire system has been running slower than before. when I try to burn a dvd it works but it just takes much longer than before. i can still burn cds also, but they take longer as well. any help would be greatly appreciated. oh, and I AM lost.

3. dosbatch

dosbatch Guest

ok, heres your problem....you have Windows....winblows! Get linux!!

4. WiteWizrd

WiteWizrd Regular member

john, i totally agree, i dont know about burning...cuzz i just started to burn, but i have noticed that xp is slower 2...if you have the means 2, try using 2000 and see if your time speeds up at all

5. rosspod

rosspod Member

john to help with the dma settings, right click "my computer" select "manage" then "device manager" then select the "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" expand that column. the select the channel that your dvd burner resides on, then right click, and select properties.

hope this helps!
    ross

6. johnmark

johnmark Member

Thanks but I know how to find the dma setting it just isn't there. Its still burning slow. Can anyone else help?

7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

@ Chris,

If you can't post something to help, DO NOT POST AT ALL ~

Useless, assine comments reflect on the poster -

johnmark,

We need to check your DMA
    . "Ooohh, no you're not ! Only my husband or my Doctor checks my "D", "M" . . whatever . . ." No, no, it's OK, DMA stands for "Direct Memory Access" transfer mode OR as we say in the computer field, it's a really, fast way to move stuff. Many PC's today are using UDMA or "Ultra Direct Memory Access transfer mode, or as we like to call it, a really super-duper fast way to move stuff as opposed to the PIO mode. The PIO or Programmed I/O mode, is a technique whereby the system CPU and support hardware directly control the transfer of data between the system and the hard disk since shortly after the beginning of PC's up until the mid-1990's. So we want DMA (fast) more than we PIO (slow).

3. Let's check your Drive's transfer mode. It should be DMA-4, not PIO.
    Windows XP downgrades the Ultra DMA transfer mode after receiving six CRC errors and drops it down to the much slower PIO mode.

To enable DMA mode using the Device Manager
    1. Go to "My Computer, ""System Tools," "View System Information," then System Properties, "Hardware," Then Open Device Manager
    2. Double-click IDE ATA//ATAPI Controllers to display the list of controllers and channels.
    3. Right-click the icon for the channel to which your burner is connected and select Properties. Now click the Advanced Settings tab.
    4. In the Current Transfer Mode drop-down box, select DMA if available if the current setting says, "PIO Only."
    If the drop-down box already says, "DMA if Available" but the current transfer mode is PIO, then the user must "toggle" the settings. That is, change the selection from "DMA if available" to PIO only, and click "OK".
    Then repeat the steps above to change the selection to "DMA if available".

OPTION: Right-click the burner and select "Uninstall" and then "OK" all prompts until the PC reboots. Upon rebooting, the PC should "find" your burner and reinstall it setting it by "Default" to DMA.

Lastly, when did you last defrag your Hard Drive (HD) ? If you have to stop and think about the last time you did it, then it's way, way overdue. Here we go, (Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Disk Defragmenter. When it opens, choose your HD, analyses it to see where we stand then if you need it (you probably will) choose Defragment.).

After you finish doing it now you might want to think about having "Scheduled Tasks" in your Control Panel do it for you on a daily basis.

A fragmented HD not only drastically slows down your system but it can cause all number of things to happen inside your PC, a messed up burn being one of them.

Once we've done that, our DVD burner should operate at peak efficiency :D)

Cheers,

Pete

Now let's see if everything will work together the way we want it to, OK ?

Give it a test run and let us know how you make out -

Last edited: Jan 1, 2005
  8. bigboy70

bigboy70 Member

Im running windows XP with 3.0Ghz pentium 4 with 1GB of ram and two 150 GB HD. I have 2 dvd burners 1)hp dvd writer 400 and 2) hp DVD writer 530. I hvae burnned 100's of succesfull DVDs at both 8x(around 7 min) and 4x (around 14 min). 3 days ago my burners( both )statrted burrning really slow (50 min a disk) and DVD shrink has been encoding slow (normaly a 25% compressed disk takes 40 min now over an hour). I checked DMA and it is on for both. My last resort is to take my computer to Best buy to get checked. Any suggestions befor doing that?

9. colw

colw Active member

bigboy70

If DMA mode is OK, I would check for spyware and viruses on your system first.

Adaware SE and Spybot suggested (both free).

10. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

(Sometimes I have trouble believing these posts . . . .)

bigboy70,

Did you bother to read the post just before yours ?

PLEASE tell me you checked all of that before you posted - PLEASE . . . . .

(Off in the corner just shaking my head side to side . . . .

11. brobear

brobear Guest

Routine clean up, system maintenance, maintaining correct system resources, even the occasional defrag besides the other important info Pete and colw mentioned. Where's that stick, can't touch some of these enlightened questions.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2005
  12. brobear

brobear Guest

If a system doesn't have the resources to run the XP operating system at a decent speed, there is no reason in the world to expect that system to be able to do DVD video recording. The spit hit me in the face and I'm looking for Superman now, heard something about him being touchy over a cape.

13. rainman29

rainman29 Member

Thanks for posting to this problem, I had the same problem and I deleted the Primary and Secondary IDE controller in the device manager and rebooted. This fixed the problems, I believe the DMA/PIO settings were corrupted somehow.

14. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

rainman29,

Somewhere around the 6th time your burner runs into an error it "kicks back" from its DMA mode to its PIO mode.

As bear mentioned, routine maintance. Defrag at least weekly, (I do it daily), check monthly for firmware updates as well as driver updates (these can be checked "automatically" with most programs. You'll find a box that says something like "check for updates everytime the program opens".

Cheers,

Pete :)

15. morgana3

morgana3 Guest

After having no luck with the DMA,I searched for IDE updates. I found an accelerator program and I now burn a dvd (8x) in less than 8 minutes, decrypt in under 20 minutes, where just three days ago it was 50 minutes to burn and up to 1 hour and 20 minutes to decrypt.

16. brobear

brobear Guest

What is the name of this wonderful program?

17. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Application accelerator will do it . . . .

18. brobear

brobear Guest

19. dvdripdvd

dvdripdvd Regular member

Wow, Scubapete, are you a chick?

My computer ripped really slow for awhile and I noticed that my CPU usage stayed at 100% constantly. So to make my computer go faster, I deleted major files off my computer, defragged it, and went back to a restore point. CPU dropped down to an average 0% usage.

One problem that I continue to have is speed. I have 2 DVD drives: DVD-ROM and DVD RW. The DVD RW is connected to the modem and the DVD-ROM is part of the computer. The DVD RW tends to read faster, maxing out at over 6,000 kb/s (4x) before it starts to go down. The DVD Rom drive stays at (2x) and just over 2,000 kb/s.

The current transfer mode for the primary is Ultra DMA Mode 5 for Device 0 and is N/A for Device 1.

The current transfer mode for the secondary is PIO Mode and can not choose DMA for Device 0. It's Ultra DMA Mode 2 for Device 1.

It does shrink faster if the movie is already ripped to your hd.

I do also have the cursed software WIN XP.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2005
  20. brobear

brobear Guest

The most common setup is to have the DVD ROM as master on the secondary IDE (HD is primary) with the burner in the slave position.

Hooking a DVD RW to a modem isn't the usual setup and which of those devices, the RW or ROM, is Device 1 and which is 0? getting everything into DMA will get things speeded up. Normally disabling properly setup drives with the manager and reloading the drivers will get the DMA on.