1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

burning slow - please help

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by johnmark, Dec 29, 2004.

1. Tidycat

Tidycat Member

The original issue was that johnmark had no advanced tab in the IDE channel section of his device manager. Does anyone know how to fix that?

2. brobear

brobear Guest

Tidycat
    johnmark stated the IDE controller was listed when the computer rebooted. Pete explained how to open up the device manager to the Advanced tab to check to see if the DMA is on or not. I'd say everyone assumed it was just a matter of knowing the right sequence to access the info. There are 2 other alternatives I can think of quickly; XP is screwed up or the IDE controler isn't functioning. In that case, go into device manager and troubleshoot the problem. I'd say to review Pete's directions and take that route first.

3. brobear

brobear Guest

Opening categories in the Device Manager can be acheived by double clicking the desired entry or expanding the category by selecting the plus box to the left. I say double click to expand or click when a single click makes the selection of a tab in a window. Here once again are the steps to check DMA in the Advanced tab.

Start
    Control Panel
    In Control Panel double click System
    In System Properties window Click Hardware tab (if not already open)
    Click Device Manager
    In Device Manager Double Click IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers
    Double Click either the Primary or Secondary IDE Channel
    Click the Advanced Settings Tab in the Properties window.

That is the short step by step method without Pete's entertaining presentation.

4. rainman29

rainman29 Member

Thanks for the info Pete, but I found out something:

IT'S DVD DECRYTPER!

This program sets DMA to PIO every time I use it. The good thing is that this program rips more thoroughly than DVD Shrink, and gets by blocks. So, in the meantime it's worth the extra time, and I'll look for firmware upgrades. I do do the defrag often, having movies on your hard drive fragments the heck out of it.

=)

5. brobear

brobear Guest

It may happen while DVD Decrypter is running, but you probably have an underlying problem of some sort. This is actually the first time in several months that I've heard anyone say Decrypter caused their controller to go into PIO mode.

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

I agree -

There's no way that DVDD could force your IDE to drop back to default PIO settings.

You need to trouble shoot it from your Device manager.

(probably one of my all time short posts, what a record . .)

7. brobear

brobear Guest

Good one Pete, one of my shorter as well.

8. Tidycat

Tidycat Member

Well, the advanced tab is absent for me too, and I'm definitely looking in the right place. I know what to do re: DMA/PIO if or when I get the Advanced tab back - the question is, does anyone know how to do that?

Thanks.

9. brobear

brobear Guest

Opening categories in the Device Manager can be acheived by double clicking the desired entry or expanding the category by selecting the plus box to the left. I say double click to expand or click when a single click makes the selection of a tab in a window. Here once again are the steps to check DMA in the Advanced tab.

Start
    Control Panel
    In Control Panel double click System
    In System Properties window Click Hardware tab (if not already open)
    Click Device Manager
    In Device Manager Double Click IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers
    Double Click either the Primary or Secondary IDE Channel
    Click the Advanced Settings Tab in the Properties window.

[bold]If the Advanced Tab isn't in the Properities window, then your version of XP is flawed. That is part of the program.[/bold] In which case you'd need to reload XP.

10. rainman29

rainman29 Member

well there might be a possibility of underlying problem, and I'm not sure it's going into PIO mode, but I do know that if I use DVD Decrypter my burning speed becomes 1/3 as fast along with ripping. Perhaps it's the way I resolve problems but DVD Decrypter was the first program that I pointed to. Perhaps a conflict of programs I have on my computer. I'll keep you posted.

11. hardcandy

hardcandy Guest

1. Check the chipset manufacturers site, Intel, Via, SIS, etc and see if there is a newer version of the chipset driver available.
    2. Check your RAM. Slowdowns can be caused by address problems in RAM that are small enough to let applications use a higher address and not generate a error message. http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm is a program looking for prime numbers.
    "Today's computers are not perfect. Even brand new systems from major
    manufacturers can have hidden flaws. If any of several key components such
    as CPU, memory, cooling, etc. are not up to spec, it can lead to incorrect
    calculations and/or unexplained system crashes.

Overclocking is the practice of increasing the speed of the CPU and/or
    memory to make a machine faster at little cost. Typically, overclocking
    involves pushing a machine past its limits and then backing off just a
    little bit.

For these reasons, both non-overclockers and overclockers need programs
    that test the stability of their computers. This is done by running
    programs that put a heavy load on the computer. Though not originally
    designed for this purpose, this program is one of a few programs that
    are excellent at stress testing a computer."
    Once you get it installed, go under options and choose torture test and run it for 5 minutes. Then stop it. If you do not get any errors, your RAM is working OK.

12. bydasword

bydasword Guest

did the trick for me. there was in fact an update, and it installed a more detailed ATA controller that gave me better management over the transfer mode. thanks for the info, just wanted to let you know it is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2005