1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning speed help...8x causing errors?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by scott683, Oct 15, 2004.

1. scott683

scott683 Guest

I just bought some 8x ritek dvd-r's...I havent had any problems with the ritek 4x's burning @ 4x speed but burning with 8x @ 8x speed I am starting to notice some pixelating and freezing with a few of the new back-ups I created.
    Im not sure but it also seems like it happens more on dvd's that are compressed more then 30%.

Anyone else have any problems like this? or any input as to what is causing some bad back-ups?

Thanks,
    Scott

Using:
    Plextor PX-712a (12x) burner
    DVD Decryptor
    DVD Shrink
    Nero 6 Ultra

2. jeff369

jeff369 Member

this is my first visit to here with the same problem.
    I just downloaded X-copy plat and I bought a 8X burner
    Never had any burner before.

But all my backups freeze. I tried different dvd player and differnt movies new and old.
    I'm useing Memorex DVD+R's Could it be cheap Blanks??

3. scott683

scott683 Guest

I tried x-copy plat and had problems with it (prob just me though, who knows) so I switched to dvd decryptor/dvd shrink/nero and havent had any problems untill trying to burn @ 8x.

If your just starting out though it could be a number of things, not just your media, I have used that memorex stuff and had had good and bad experiences with it.

First 50 pack was fine, next 50 pack was worthless, had to return it.
    Also I switched from using dvd+r to dvd-r because I find alot more players are compatible with -R's and I lend my copies to family members and thay have problems with the +r's

And you really have to do some testing first. try the dvd/decrypt/dvdshrink/nero trial setup...(its free) and if it works you know its something with your other software, if it still doesnt work it may be a compatability problem with your media/player..

If you search the forum you will find some very good guides for the shrink setup (which it seems most people seem to be using).

btw...Compatabilty charts (for your dvd player) dont seem to like me or may not be as accurate as posted because I get different results from them.(example: I read one of my players would only play dvd-r, and it plays both types fine) Try different types of media yourself, buy 3 pks at walmart of different stuff if your not planning on lending out your dvd's to anyone and dvd+r's work fine, then you can stick with that.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]amd3000-radeon9800pro-ocz512mb--plextor712a[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2004
  4. Gringle

Gringle Guest

Hi guys welcome to AD, a keen observer would note, Memorex ain't the favourite media around here, so would, say that could, be Jeffs' problem.

Others yet might say the Jury's still out, on 8x media.

regards mike/gringle.

5. scott683

scott683 Guest

Thanks Gringle, but when you say "the Jury's still out on 8x media" does that mean I shouldnt have bought that media or I should just stick to 4x speed when burning?

6. jeff369

jeff369 Member

Well I guess the easiest thing right now is to try DVD-R in a better brand...

I have no clue what the other stuff is you talk about scott so i'll spend all night night on the internet reading and then maybe i'll try some of it.

I hope its not copy x because it was alittle expensive

thanks guys.. i'll check in later

7. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi guys, As Gringle stated, Memorex media is being made by a company that produces cheap, poor quality media at this time. Best to start using a known good media like Ritek or Verbatim grade A blanks. As to the 8x burn speed, some members have no problem burning at 8x. Others have the type problem you are getting. By dropping to 4x burn most find that the problems go away. Its really not the media, just the amount of data being burned is too much for some systems to burn at 8x. I never burn at more than 4x and don't see any problems.

Jerry

8. jeff369

jeff369 Member

Jerry..

How do you drop down to 4X speed??

I looked on X copy I dont see any options for that.

9. Gringle

Gringle Guest

I can't really answer that one Scott, almost a month ago, I was preparing to make a visit to a local UK supplier!

And I asked a similar question, "should I spend my limited funds on G04 or G05?"

Most, of the few replies were ambiguous; (tho well meant.)
    So I spent my funds on quality G04, that burns like a dream.

Again regards mike/gringle

10. scott683

scott683 Guest

ok, thanks gringle. I will kick it down to 4x speed and post the results later, I was hoping that somebody might have said "change this setting" or "try this software" because that extra speed does make a difference when your backing up a pile of dvd's at once, but I guess it doesnt hurt to ask.

Hopefully in the future I can actually use the 12x burner at faster speeds with improved software and media with perfect results, like I said its only happening to a few of my back-ups so I dont think I am too far from getting it.

Also, as jerry said, the system might mot be able to handle it" Thats a good possibilty there too cause I used to have it in my main system Amd3000+ 2.2ghz 512mb ram and I pulled it out and slapped my plextor it in a a dell 8200 1.8ghz 256mb ram., but if you really think it would help I have another 2.6ghz P4 800mhz fsb 1gig ram machine I can try it in, but I was hopeing to keep it out of our main gaming machines so we can game and burn at the same time here :)

Thanks Again everyone

11. jeff369

jeff369 Member

does anyone know how to switch speeds..

I have a 8x pacific digital...

12. scott683

scott683 Guest

I just went to switch the speed in the shrink's burn setting and I noticed that it has a 6x speed, I havent heard much on that speed, is that like a taboo speed or something?

13. scott683

scott683 Guest

jeff, I dont have that software installed anymore but try searching the name of your software and see if you can pull up a guide
    or try this:
    http://dvdxcopy.afterdawn.com/
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]amd3000-radeon9800pro-ocz512mb--plextor712a[/small]

14. Gringle

Gringle Guest

Oh' dear.

15. jeff369

jeff369 Member

thanks scott

16. bigwop

bigwop Regular member

Do not burn faster than 2.4x with xcopy. I only use this program if all else fails. I am a firm beleiver in dvd shrink coupled with dvd decrypter for the burning. Decrypter has an adjustment for burn speed, xcopy does not. I've been burning at 4x with decrypter and have had no problems. I use maxell dvd-r 2x-4x, yellow tops and they work great. Remember,when in doubt, slower is better. If you have roxio installed, remove it completely as on my system it stopped my burns with the newest version of decrypter. Its been flying since.

17. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Well you can burn at 4x with XCopy and be fine, problem is with newer burners and newer firmware ... most burners will burn 4x media at 6x-8x, which will not help your cause.

So to truly control the burn speed with XCopy, make sure your burner cannot burn 4x faster than 4x or use 2.4x media.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Dell 8250, Pentium 4 3.06GHz HT
    1.5 GB Rambus PC 1066, 700GB HD
    NEC 2510A, Sony 1612, Plextor Premium
    XP Pro SP1, ATI All-In-Wonder 9800 Pro[/small]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2004
  18. jeff369

jeff369 Member

Well guys thank you very much. If anyone is interested I did all suggestings and got great results.
    Better quality media, I bought sony 4X DVD-R instead of Memorex DVD+r

I downloaded DVD-shrink and DVD-decryptor and burned it at 4X.

I wish I got on here before I bought 321 Xcopy Platinum
    for 100$... The free stuff is better.

Now I'll try some different combinations to see If it was all things or just 1 or 2..

I'm just happy it works now..
    My next thoughts go to What happens if the length is over 4.6 and I dont want to get rid of the extras..
    I'll search the other threads i'm sure its here..

Thanks

19. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Actually it's anything over 4.35GB, you'll have to use Shrink. Anything under 4.35GB you can just use DVD Decrypter .. to rip and burn (ISO mode)

20. jeff369

jeff369 Member

I thought with shrink you have to cut things out like extras and audios...

I didnt see a way to just fit it all on except for maybe compression and the guide didnt recommend that.
    But I'll practice and try it out.