1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning Speeds

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by als300, Apr 24, 2005.

1. als300

als300 Guest

Has anyone found that burning DVD's at a speed over 4x causes more errors than burning at 4x or less?

Thanks in advance.

2. squizzle

squizzle Active member

yes, many people have noticed this. Most don't burn over 4x at all.

3. arniebear

arniebear Active member

I usually burn at 2 or 4x, and my old NEC 1300a only does 4x but got new 16x HP and have forgotten to set 4x in Nero Recode which always defaults to max, but luckily have not gotten any errors. IMHO no faster than 4x is best.

4. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

I agree with [bold]Wild77[/bold] on this one. It all depends on your dvd-burner, the media you're using and plus your stand alone dvd player. Keep in mind that some older players can't play anything beyond 4X of burning. I've used some TDK, FUJI and MAXELL dvd-r at 8X speed to back up movies flawlessly in the past. Apparently, I usually backed up with 4X and 8X 50%-50% from time to time due to the capabilities of my dvd player.

5. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Multi million pound industry now, therefore as demand increases, quality decreases..........................

Bad quality comes in 2 forms:
    1.Poor quality materials to produce discs
    2.Cheaper components used in manufacture.

Dvd specifications remain the same for dvd player protocol...........

All in the disc baby............................

Get some good reputable media and you should be ok, 4x is the norm but as technology develops, speed will increase with reliability......

I don't think we are there yet, but some people boast good results at warp speed.......

Stick with 4x for now, get your process right, then you can experiment with warp factor 12..................

6. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

The same can be said about burners.

7. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

Wild,doesnt take that much longer NOT dont LOL, yeah i have a plextor 712A also and it burns at 8X fine but i usally burn at 4X

8. movies27

movies27 Regular member

I used to burn at 6x but i brought it down to 4x due to the fact that some of my friends players were not able to read a disc burned at 6x even though mine could.So IMO its best to stick with 4x it only takes like 5min longer anyway.

9. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Myself and my benq's: 4x majority of time,unless I let it auto burn and shutoff,then I set it at 2.4x.
    I do quite of few re-rips on the fly and haven't had a single issue from my quality media on my original backup disc. Now I'm into the printable media,so I am glad I kept it slow. Many members having trouble re-ripping their backups when they burn too fast.

4x is par for the course. I have burned 8x sony at 16x with great results,but still keep it at 4x max just for precaution.

Burner quality does matter.Also the higher quality media will help if you decide to burn 8x.Your stand alone players will tell you if that burn is too fast: Pixellation/freezing/skipping

10. LABOY

LABOY Regular member

What about backing up data files? As a rule can you burn them at a faster rate than media/movie files? Or does the principle apply: a file is a file is a file.....

11. jpp01uk

jpp01uk Regular member

id burn data files at highest speed available

games and movie files i burn less than 4x

12. cougar_ii

cougar_ii Regular member

Hey everyone,

Here's my quick 2 cents:

I burn everything at 2x (DVD and Data).

Burn while you watch TV or having dinner.

100% success all the time !

13. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Too true, again with demand increase, comes a quality decrease...........

Driven by the fact that R+D does not go into popular products as it has already been R+D'd, so the prices reduce, and the large markups become smaller, but the quantity sold increases, that profit then goes into the research for newer technology......................
    And when released the prices are sky high - DL media being a classic example...........4/5 months time they will be half the cost of what they are now.........demand dependent of course.........

14. elizerroj

elizerroj Regular member

hey als300, take a newbie advise and do not burn at more than 4x speed. because u r right, i can cause errors. i do it at 2.4x to be in even safer side. what is the rush anyway; what nothing is going to happen to your computer if you stop from using it for an extra ten minutes. see you.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2005
  15. movies27

movies27 Regular member

Saugmon you provide some very useful information.

16. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Oh no, look how big that frogs head is getting. Only kidding saugmon.

17. wajax

wajax Member

i burn - using benq 8x dvd+r on a benq1620 i leave the speed at max and the discsa actually burn at 16x - i have over 200 movies and and made about 3 coasters use the right programs on a fast pc and you wont have any problems ----burning as .iso is quick and great for making coasters - not always ,but you can expect it . my buddy has a good handfull of .iso coasters.

if you want to burn a quick television show or something .iso is good for that - but for backing up a dvd or burning a recorded movie from tv - i would stick to burning dvd streams instead of program streams and stay way away from corrupting all that by burning it as .iso yuck. and besides - not all stand alone dvd players will play .iso anyway