1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning the .iso and not the .dvd

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by Ender88, Apr 29, 2007.

1. Ender88

Ender88 Regular member

When using ImgBurn, I got an error about it not knowing .dvd (), so I burned the .iso. I've never had trouble with the same situation regarding bin/cues, both work. Should I have any problems with burning the .iso instead? Maybe I've misunderstood what I've read on burning 360 games, and the relationship isn't similar.

I don't have an xbox just yet to verify the backup works, but I've seen tutorials say you need to use the layer break number in the .dvd, but others say just burn it.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2007
  2. TY4ever

TY4ever Regular member

If you're using clonecd to burn your backup,then you need to load the dvd file which contains information on the layer break.But if you're using imgburn then you just load the iso,not the dvd file,and you should change the layer break in imgburn tools,settings,write,options,layerbreak for dl media and put it as 1913760.

Vincent.

3. Ender88

Ender88 Regular member

I see. So if neglected to use the layer break for IMGBurn, is it 100% certain that the backup is a coaster?

Just wondering, if the tutorial told me to check the .dvd file for the layer break, why would it bother if 1913760 is universal?

Thanks for the help, this is really clearing things up.

4. TY4ever

TY4ever Regular member

In some tutorials they told you to check the dvd file(by opening using notepad)as a precaution,its never too much to be careful rather than to get a beautiful expensive coaster.

Because sometimes it can happen that when you double-click on one of the various rar files,you'll normally see a new window open and sometimes it can be just one iso/000 file or it can be one iso file and one dvd file,which then you need to select both and extract them.When it's like this,it's always advisable to check the dvd file because sometimes the person who has compressed the game and uploaded the game could have made a mistake by creating the dvd file,like for example the name of the game in the dvd file doesn't match the name of the iso,which in fact should be identical,same for the layerbreak too,you better check that too.

I do remember it happened to me once,when i've finished downloaded a particular game,when i doubled click on one of the rar files,normally i used to get only one iso file that i should extract like everytime,but that time i got the two files,so i selected them and extracted them.But thanks i always have the habit to check the dvd file because i noticed there was in fact a difference between the name of the iso in the dvd file and the another iso file i got after extracting,so what i did was i just changed the name of the iso in the dvd file making it match the another iso file i got.

As a conclusion,it's always a good habit to check your dvd file before you burn your backup,it will take you less than 30 seconds but is really worth it when you realize the price you pay for a dual layer media.

But like i said earlier this applies when you use clonecd to burn because you need to load that dvd file in clonecd.If you're using Imgburn,just ignore the dvd file you got but make sure you enter the correct layer break in Imgburn.

Vincent.

5. Ender88

Ender88 Regular member

When using IMGBurn, will 1913760 always work? Even if it's not the same as the layer break specified in the .dvd?

Also, one sidenote question if you don't mind. When games say they are patched, are they refering to SS Merger? As in they were patched with SS Merger? And is there a way to see if a game was already patched with SS Merger (if not, can I just patch it again?)?

6. TY4ever

TY4ever Regular member

If you see in the dvd file that the layerbreak is not 1913760(which i strongly doubt),it is surely wrong.But just make sure you put the correct layer break in Imgburn which is always 1913760 for any 360 game.

When a game says it has already been patched,it usually refers to ss patched.To be sure,you can use ss merger to check that.If a game has already been patched correctly,you can't patch it one more time,it will simply give you an error message.Normally after extracting the rar files and get two files,the iso and the dvd file,it means it's already patched for you and ready to burn.Normally almost all downloaded 360 games come already patched.Sometimes when you extract it can happen you get only the iso file,it happens so many times to me,but before i get into that ss merger thing,i retry to extract it one more time by choosing another rar file(though it's all the same whatever you choose)and i finally get the two files.Then i just burn and it always works.

Vincent.

7. Ender88

Ender88 Regular member

Awesome, thanks for the indepth help TY4ever.

One more thing, will I need to set the layer break for every game I burn, or by setting the layer break, am I changing it for all subsequent burns? I'm assuming it's the former.

Thanks again, hopefully this was the only coaster I end up with for a while.

8. TY4ever

TY4ever Regular member

Once you set the correct layer break in Imgburn,you're good to go for every backup you will be doing.You don't need to change it everytime.But if you're going to burn(using Imgburn)something else on a dual layer disc rather than a 360 game,you need to put the settings for dual layer discs to "calculate optimal",and after that don't forget to put it back to "user specified" and enter the 1913760 for burning your 360 backups.

Vincent.

9. Ender88

Ender88 Regular member

Thanks again, you're the man.

10. TY4ever

TY4ever Regular member

You're welcome Ender88!

And happy burning!

Vincent.

11. bigal344

bigal344 Member

I was actually looking for something else, but this made for interesting reading and i learnt a few things as well, can't be bad!!