1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning times

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Ryman007, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Ryman007

Ryman007 Guest

Hello everyone! I have just downloaded DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter and have started Backing up my first DVD. Everyone's advice was amazing and helped a lot although I am having trouble with the time it takes to Analyze and Encode the DVD. I have a BenQ 16x+R 16x-R DVD+/- RW/R 8.5 GB Double Layer Burner.

The Encoding is saying it is going to take over 8 hours to complete. Is there anything I can do to speed up this process?

Thanks so much.
    Ryan.

2. rroettger

rroettger Regular member

What are your system specs.

3. sean5775

sean5775 Regular member

Ouch I thought my 2 to 3 hours was bad.

4. Ryman007

Ryman007 Guest

I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro with Intel celeron processor @ 497 Mhz with 192 MB of RAM. Is this too old or not enough RAM?

5. rroettger

rroettger Regular member

6. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Reading/encoding & burning dvds uses a lot of resources. Your PC is not really up to the job. I would recommend that you upgrade ASAP. You really need a processor no less than 2gig, you need at least 512RAM. If you have these specs. your encoding will be drastically reduced.
    My system will encode & burn in less than 1 hour, as will many here. Some will do it quicker. If you look at the specs of most peoples PCs (usually in their sig) you will see you have quite a way to catch up! Unless you upgrade you will be forever waiting. XP alone uses tons of memory just to run.

7. Pathill

Pathill Guest

Wow yeah ,
    I am brand new to this, and from start to finish it takes me 20 minutes to encode and burn.

8. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey ryman,my pc is on the fritz so I just set up my backup pc for dvd burning. 256 mbs ram,intel celeron 598 mhz and about 28 gigs of hard drive available.
    I just did my first backup on this and I did main movie only.4 minutes to analyze "dvd shrink",30 minutes to encode "no compression" and another 25 mins at 2.4x burn with nero. Turned out great

Check your ide settings and make sure they are in dma if available on primary and secondary ide.They should not be in PIO mode.

Defrag your hard drive,dvd burning can put a heavy burden on that hard drive.

If you use shrink's enhancements,they will definitely slow you down.Especially if you are majorly compressing the entire movie.

9. Ryman007

Ryman007 Guest

Thank you very much everyone. I think I will buy a new computer soon. For now I guess I will have to forget burning DVD's.

Thanks for the help everyone!