1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning to DL Discs

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by AndreL, Mar 5, 2007.

1. AndreL

AndreL Regular member

Remember me http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/447366

I just bought the LG GSA-H22N and its doing what the last drive that I got is doning when I try to write to a DL its shutting down my whole system. And I don't know why ... it didn't do this for may last drive the NED 4551a I would just error the writting to a DL and with the single layered it did them fine. But its doing what my last new dirve is doing which was a NEC 71??? something (that I returned back to the store).

I don't think its my pwr supply cause I got and Antech 500w that has 5HD hooked up to it with a MSI K9 I so feed up with this that I'm giving up tommrrow and giveing it to a tech center unless you guy can help me solve the problem.

2. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Since it's the same problem, starting a new thread on the same subject may get the mods after you. That's between you and them.

Other than MSI K9 mobo, drives, nero software, and verbatim media, I didn't see much discussion of the rest of the system. Out of curiosity, what CPU are you using and what are the system resources.

Did you ever update your version of Nero? What are you getting on your Nero logs now that you have the new hardware?

If you suspect PSU problems, use monitor software such as Everest or Speedfan and monitor your system power specs.

3. AndreL

AndreL Regular member

I've unpluged three of my dirves now I have the boot drive and the another drive that has the files I want to put on the DL disc and used burn4free to write to the disc, and it still cut off so its not a power problem. any ideas on what the problem is.

4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

This is wierd that is does it during a burning process as this shouldn't be much on resources. There are a few things you could try.

1) Try using a different power connector on the drive. Use one from one of the hard drives.
    2) Might be a heat issue. Try opening up the case and put a fan blowing on the MB, and give it another try.
    3) Maybe a software conflict? un-install all DVD/CD recording or encoding software. then install ImageBurn and try burning the files with that program. Here is a link to ImageBurn ImageBurn Download

5. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I'd like to be there to monitor the temp and voltage specs. I'd like to know if the system is staying within normal running temps and voltage levels. I suggested monitoring, but got no feedback. Unplugging hard drives tells us very little.

Let bbmayo walk you through the problem and don't be jumping all over the place. It's either the system falling on its face or the software. Remove all the recording software as bbmayo suggested and there can be no conflict between burning software. Then use the free ImgBurn to burn the files. If no go, then you've eliminated burner software conflicts as one of the possibilities. To find the problem it's a process of elimination. Jumping around, you will be lucky to find any solutions and you'll eliminate none of the possibilities.

Knowing the temp levels and the voltages for board, CPU, and RAM would be handy to see how the hardware is doing.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2007
  6. AndreL

AndreL Regular member

I have fans running all over the place on my system so I know its not a heat issue. I gave up and sent it for a certified tech to test it out (but I didn't want to) and he did a lot to it so much I don't wanna type it all. When he tryed every thing he could think up He says its the Mobo and I don't know if I shouold argree with him or not. I'm about to re-flash the bios to see if that will help cause lord knows I don't wanna shell out another 100 for a different mobo. So give me some post tell me if I should flah it or not or am I just wasteing my time if I do that your post and sujestions are welcome.

7. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Your reluctance to do anything beneficial, such as monitor the system specs or follow a deductive plan of analysis shows you're reluctant to take good advice. New builds can have problems and boards can be bad out of the box. Any part can have a manufacturer flaw. That's why we have monitoring software and use it.

Usually there's a changelog for BIOS updates. What differs between the one you have and the one you intend to install? If it doesn't say this BIOS prevents crashing, which was a problem with the old BIOS, then you probably won't be fixing anything. At this point I'd be betting on the tech's skills over yours (if it was a licensed repair center). I'd say get the board and let the tech install it.

Out of curiosity, what thermal compound did you use?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2007
  8. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

PacMan777,

Your more patient than I am :) I gave up on this one a long time ago do to the reluctance of trying anything suggested. Just because you have a million fans in your system doesn't mean it won't get hot. If the board is acting fine with everything except when you try to burn a disk then I really doubt buying a new mobo is going to solve the problems with this one. I still say it is a heat issue and probably only requires a good heat sink and fan on the processor which is much cheaper than a new MOBO. I would also try another DVDRW optical drive before buying a new MOBO. Will the tech guarantee it is the MOBO, and if not will they refund your purchase? Could also be something as simple as IDE cable or software conflicts. I really do not think this has anything to do with the mother board especially seeing how everything else is working just fine. I mean it will even burn the regular single layer disc's just fine it is only the dual layer disc's? I don't see any mention of what program is being used to try and burn these dual layer disc's or what brand of disc's are being used? Oh OK that info was in the other post. Have you tried burning your disc's with another proggy like ImageBurn? I would take the steps to try and resolve this that are free first like un-install all burning and authoring DVD/CD software and then just load something simple like ImageBurn and see if that works. It is a matter of eliminating everything that would cost the least first before making larger purchases.

Edit: Also how is the drive hooked up to the system? IDE or SATA? Master, Slave, or Cable Select? what is the jumper set on? where on the cable if IDE is the drive hooked up?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2007
  9. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

bbmayo
    I've given up. Your comments cover some of the process for solving the problem. But without monitoring the system or following a logical process in finding a solution, the task is best left in the hands of someone willing to do the job who knows what they're doing. Jumping all over, just asking questions, and not following any good advice gets nothing done. So far your advice has been ignored, and you're supposed to be one of the leading experts here at AD. The PC was taken to a professional tech, or so we were told. Still no desire to follow any suggestions. I doubt the trend will change until the bank gets depleted. I don't know if an error was made with the build or with the software. We can't get any info to find out.

10. AndreL

AndreL Regular member

Thats what I posted on another forum and also I did what all you have sugested and thank you for them. The people I wend to are certified also I took the methods that they did to that place and showed it to "The Geek Squad" and they agreed with them "So they said" but after I came back home and calle the MSI tech support to get the mother board sent back to MSI I asked the tech if this was a common problem and he said yea. After I got off phone I did a search for "MS-7250 problem" and got this http://forum.msi.com.tw/index.php?topic=99924.msg%msg_id% so again thank you for your comments.

11. AndreL

AndreL Regular member

Thats what I posted on another forum and also I did what all you have sugested and I thank you for them. The people I went to are certified and also I took the methods that they did to "The Geek Squad" and they agreed with them "So they said" but after I came back home I called the MSI tech support to get the mother board sent back to MSI I asked the tech if this was a common problem and he said yea. After I got off phone I did a search for "MS-7250 problem" and got this http://forum.msi.com.tw/index.php?topic=99924.msg%msg_id% so again thank you for your comments.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2007
  12. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Well now all of that information would have been very helpful to us here in the first place, but looking at what was tested I would lean towards the motherboard being the problem also. MSI in my opinion is not a very good manufacturer of motherboards to begin with. You would do much better getting a Gigabyte or ASUS and seeing how it looks like you will need to get another board I would suggest you look at those two brands. Just try and stay away from MSI, BioStar, ECS, and PCChips those are notorious for not being very reliable.

13. AndreL

AndreL Regular member

Thanks bbmayo
    I've read somewhere that Gigabyte is one the top mobos for amdx2

Could you give me some tips on dianosing a computer
    also whats DFT and can you suggest a good Ramtester. And as you see in the post I'm getting a M2N Deluxe Asus and I have Mushkin memory will they go good together.

Oh yea my last board was a PCChips board that had a 1.2 AMD on it and I had to replace it but that was a 2-3 yrs after the original puchase.

but again thanks to bbmayo and PacMan777 for your help. and I hope when I look for some problem for this Asus I'm about to get there are no problems.

14. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

That is debatable, but in my honest opinion where ever you read that I believe it is true :) I would highly recommend Gigabyte for AMD over any other board with ASUS a close second. For Pentium processors I would go with in this order Intel, ASUS, Gigabyte.

This stands for a Drive Fitness Test. There are all kind of software and hardware for this. What it does is basically analyze function performs read tests without overwriting customer data. They normally are bootable disks that you run after restarting your PC.

Again there are hundreds out there just do a goggle it is all software driven. Again this will more than likely come as a bootable disk.

Yes those two will work fine together.

You can also get this program which is an all in one tool that will do just about anything you need when it comes to diagnostics or monitoring your system. SiSoftware

15. AndreL

AndreL Regular member

I have mushkin memory will it work with this board

16. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

As long as the memory meets these requirments it will work :)
    I really hope you have or are planning on having a lot of SATA drives for this board because it only has 1 IDE interface?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2007
  17. AndreL

AndreL Regular member

so did that MSI board it just had one ide port and about 6 Sata drives I can't wait till Optical drive come out on Sata (I know that they do but there not that popular)

18. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

There was guite few posts so I didnt check them all for what I'm about to say so if it has already been said just let me know.

Could the problem be the software? How bug free/reliable/stable is the Burn4Free DL burning engine? Why not just use ImgBurn? It can burn video, data, the whole shibang. And on top of that you can create .iso files to!

19. AndreL

AndreL Regular member

the tech guy used all the burning programs that I ahad on my system "Img Burn Nero and Burn4free" The problem is its a manufacture defect if you look at my last few post it has the web page of the forum that talks about it.

20. AndreL

AndreL Regular member

I did it, I feel so stupid for not thinking of this before.

I took a IDE to SATA converter and hooked it up to my DVD RW and it worked. so Yeah I did it I'm THE MAN.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2007