1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning to DVD

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by sradcrazy, Dec 16, 2002.

1. sradcrazy

sradcrazy Member

I want to know how to burn my downloaded movies so I am able to watch them on my DVD player. What sort of software do I need to do this. I have a regular burner on my Dell 4500. It's not a DVD burner, is this still possible??
    Someone please help.
    Thanks,
    Ryan

2. framerman

framerman Regular member

You can burn those to a vcd format (or svcd if your player supports it. It doesn't come out with the greatest quality though. It usually is about the same as a VHS recording. What format is your movies in. You might be in the wrong forum for this. Check out the vcd forums for better information and feedback.

3. sradcrazy

sradcrazy Member

Actually I have been doing a ton of reading on this site and found out a lot. I read all about burning in VCD format, but it looks like I would have to burn most movies onto two CDR's because of the 80min limit on CDR's.
    So it looks like I will be buying a DVD burner sometime soon. Do you have any suggestions on which ones are good? Let me know.
    Thanks again for replying to my meassage.

4. framerman

framerman Regular member

Me personally, I have a Sony DRU-500a. I have had a few slight problems with it, but now it seems to be working pretty good. The only problem with it is you really can't find one right now. They should be rereleased here very soon. They are updating it so it can burn to 4x. But I'd be very careful burning at that speed. Pioneer is also coming out (if not already) with a 4x. I think that is called the A05. I don't see that many posts in here about problems with the Pioneer drives. It might be a better choice. It will burn only to dvd-r's & rw's I think. Sony burns to both + and -. I don't think it really matters. Look into the costs of media before you buy though. HP makes a pretty good one too. I believe that is a +rw. I think those are the big 3. They'll be anywhere from 300+ for price. After you figure out how to burn dvd's, it will give you a sense of accomplishment. It was a rough ride for me figuring it out, but I had just one stupid thing I was doing wrong and it kept me from burning correctly for quite awhile. I've got a pretty good handle on it now. If you're doing this so you can watch movies on your standalone, then a dvd burner is the only way to go. Forget about the divx movies, you can only play them on your computer. And trying to reencode a downloaded movie to something to watch on your player, you will have nothing but headaches and low quality. Buy rw's until you get the hang of burning or you will have coasters for every member of your extended family. Hope I can be of more help to you.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2002
  5. hartwell

hartwell Guest

Yeah you are right about that framerman stay away from that downloaded movie stuff. You have to go with the real deal if you want quality. I have a ricoh 5125 and it has been a delight to me. Burns kind of slow but if you want quality that another burner alongside those three you mentioned

6. hartwell

hartwell Guest

Yeah you are right about that framerman stay away from that downloaded movie stuff. You have to go with the real deal if you want quality. I have a ricoh 5125 and it has been a delight to me. Burns kind of slow but if you want quality that anothergood burner alongside those three you mentioned

7. ps2wizard

ps2wizard Guest

How do i get a dowloaded movie from kazaa onto my dvd-r? I'm using nero if that helps. Thanks.

8. bretware

bretware Guest

I have a cheap IO Magic DVD+RW/+R, When and if it burns a bad DVD I'll let you guys know.

Bware

9. z0diac

z0diac Regular member

How to get downloaded movies to DVD? Easy - use something like ULead VideoStudeo to convert the divx (or whatever format) to DVD format, then use any DVD video burning program (like MyDVD or whatever) to burn.

Although be warned - converting a 2 hour divx movie to an mpeg2 file can take a LOONG time (like 10+ hours on my P4-2ghz) .. and of course if the output mpeg2 file is too big you've got to split it in half.

10. dvdps2

dvdps2 Regular member

I tried burning a dvd using this page. http://www.dvd2dvdr.com/dvd-5.htm. Once i clicked burn with prassi primo, it said, Data disc terminated with errors. The recording is larger than the available space in the recordable disc. My disc is a dvd-rw and it is empty. Any ideas? Thanks.