1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning US homemovies on DVDs to view in Germany

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by ClaudiaD, Feb 5, 2004.

1. ClaudiaD

ClaudiaD Guest

Here is a stupid question:

We live in the US, my parents live in Berlin, Germany.

We want to burn DVDs containing home movies of the children etc.

Someone else did that for us once before we got a DVD burner, but she is no longer available. We used DVD +R RW, which is what she had used. That one plays on my parents' DVD player over there.

I used InterVideo WinDVD Creator 2 freeware and Roxy 6. Any ideas if this can be done and how?????

Claudia

2. malum

malum Regular member

I do this the other way round (from UK to states)
    It's no problem. I don't use your software though so I can't be specific

DV isn't PAL or NTSC as far as I'm aware it's an AVI which you capture and edit in you DV editor.

When you are happy with the reult you render it as DVD compatible mpeg2, it is at this rendering stage that you need to tell it that you want the output as PAL (for Germany who I believe are PAL?)

Once you have that mpeg2 you need to convert it to VOBs which are then burnt to DVD.

I use Vegas Video and DVD Architect for this process.

3. ClaudiaD

ClaudiaD Guest

Yes, Germany is PAL. What are VOBs?

4. malum

malum Regular member

VOBs are the way the mpeg2 stream is packaged to make it playable in DVD players.

I suggest you read some of the guides (tab at top of page)

and here http://www.dvdrhelp.com/

has all the information you could possibly want

5. ClaudiaD

ClaudiaD Guest

Thanks a million. I'll do that.

6. ClaudiaD

ClaudiaD Guest

I looked around pretty much all over the place. Pretty confusing. From what I can see, I did use a DVD+R RW, as listed in the German Instructions for the DVD player they have.
    I did encode it PAL. Is it possible that I used the wrong AUDIO settings? Would that cause their machine to claim there is no disk? What is the correct AUDIO format for German machines? ANYBODY??PLEEZE HELP

7. malum

malum Regular member

What is the make of the media you are using?

RW discs are very patchy you'd do better to put it on a +R disc.

The audio format for USA and German DVD is the same.

You made no metion in your previous posts that you had already made the disc and have a problem with it.

8. ClaudiaD

ClaudiaD Guest

I am using imation. The very first DVD (that someone else did for me and that works) was put on Verbatim. Does that help?

9. malum

malum Regular member

I'd use what worked before if I were you. Although I'd still be tempted to go with a quality +R rather than a +RW.

I don't know what dye Imation use, but it might be crap or it might just be that Imation aren't compatible with you folks machine

10. ClaudiaD

ClaudiaD Guest

Thanks again. I'll do that.

11. -LoNeR-

-LoNeR- Active member

hey,

what about burning it to a specific region? (eg, Germany)

im probably wrong i have just had a few coasters from regions being wrong........

if that not the case reply on this thread and ill never mention it again. ;-)

Dean
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Hey! if life was perfect.........
    DVDs would be free![/small]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2004
  12. malum

malum Regular member

Whatever software you use should produce a region free disc that plays anywhere.

13. -LoNeR-

-LoNeR- Active member

so does that mean u think im right or wrong?.................

Dean

14. malum

malum Regular member

wrong unless the software has been set to produce a specif region encoding on the discs it burns, which is unlikely. Also the machine would produce some kind of region message if the disc didn't match it's region.

15. -LoNeR-

-LoNeR- Active member

yes, But

the DVD could match the region for the drive and for the software but it might not match germanys........

16. malum

malum Regular member

The DVD won't have a region.

17. ClaudiaD

ClaudiaD Guest

I just spoke with my parents. They say that both the dvd player manual and the tv manual say that both machines are ntsc compatible. They have an Akai Arena DVD 5000 player. Any idea whether a dvd made in the US that plays on a US dvd player and TV would play on their setup? Any ideas what dvd brands are the most commonly used in German?????

Claudia

18. soban

soban Member

well i know one thing. to play in germany dvd players you have to have pal dvd. if u dont then player should support the NTSC playback which i see that your parents do. there is one more glitch. if u have made a dvd that had regional encoding in it then it might be a problem. your parents should have the same region or region free dvd player. but the way i understood from the above replies, the home burnt dvds dont have regional encoding.

well bottom line is your parent has ntsc supported hardware so your dvd have to run in germany.

MALUM....... do u knwo if nero burns the region free dvd and if it does how to disable it.

19. malum

malum Regular member

If both their TV and their DVD are NTSC compatible the only thing stopping a DVD that plays on your machine from playing on theirs would be the media it is on. If their player supports DVD+R as you suggest then I'd put it on a decent brand one of those.

Nero burns region free the region is nothing to do with the burning software. The region setting is in the IFO file which can be edited before the burn but whatever you use to make the DVD files (VOBs and IFOs) will not be putting a region code in and probably doesn't have the option to do so (unless you use IFOedit and even then the default is for region free). How many home made movies need a region code?

In short, don't worry about the region setting.

20. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

TVs in Germany should be able to play PAL & NTSC , as most do in UK (if bought in the ... say last 7 years)

Region is removed in encryption (ripping) stage , plus this has nothing to do with original poster as they stated it is only home video footage (who would have added the copy protection I wonder - lol).

I too use Vegas Video + DVD Architect ; )

herb