1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

burning vcd files to dvd-r

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by moneyline, Apr 27, 2004.

1. moneyline

moneyline Member

is this possible, i could put movies on to a dvd-r, does anyone know if its possible to do it through nero

2. whassup

whassup Regular member

Yes, you can do it. With Nero? Only if you use it for burning.

You'll need to 1) re-encode to DVD standard or 2) demux, re-sample audio to 48Khz. Method 2 isn't great for stand-alone compatibility.

3. moneyline

moneyline Member

what i mean is, since a dvd-r is 4.7 gig and a cdr is 700 mb, i can burn vcd movies to cdr, but a dvd-r would hold much more vcd movies. can i use a dvd-r instead of a cdr?

4. Mattrage

Mattrage Regular member

Your standalone will not play an authored vcd on a dvd-r. You will have to copy the .dat from the cd to your computer and rename it with a .mpg extension. I would then recommend using DVD-Lab to author this mpeg into dvd format, which is a series of .ifo's, .bup's, vob's., etc. containted in a VIDEO_TS folder you would then burn with Nero. As whassup said the audio will have to be converted to 48Khz in the process as well, DVD-Lab has built-in tools for this function. This method however, may not be compatible with your standalone player, and requires a good bit of work, so I will hesitate to go into any further detail for now until I am sure you are ready and willing to attempt.

5. imperial1

imperial1 Member

hey Mattrage, what do you mean by a method not being compatible with a standalone player? do you mean it might not work on a dvd player after you burn it?

because I have used the method you described like 3 different times, but when I put it into the dvd player, it just shows a flickering menue with music, I can't do anything fromt there either.

6. Mattrage

Mattrage Regular member

That is correct, this method is not compatible with all standalones, even among those that play recordable media, as vcd/svcd are not dvd-compliant resolutions. This is likely the cause of your problem; the only other likely possibility would be an ntsc/pal discrepancy. You might try another method which involves "patching" the mpeg header to a DVD-compliant resolution, usually on the first frame, to "trick" the dvd authoring tool and dvd player. There are several tools available for this purpose, I found the following in a google search:

http://www.8086.info/mpegpatch/
    http://mitglied.lycos.de/dvdpatcher/

Good luck!