1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning video_ts files

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Mgjkav, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Mgjkav

Mgjkav Member

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what burning software I can use to burn at 2x. I'm using nero burning rom to transcode avi files and to burn data disks but it appears that i can only burn at 8x,6x, or 4x. I need somthing that can burn at 2x, as my dvd-rom can't read dvd's burned faster than 2x.

Thanks for any help

2. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

if nero is allowing you to select 8,6 and 4x but not 2x then that is the speeds it has decided are okay for either your discs or burner. Make sure your discs are rated to burn at 2x as some faster ones arent.

3. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

try buring with dvd decrypter (free, but you will have to encode to an ISO file) as this has quite an impressive burning speed choice. Also what discs/burner/rom are you using. It sounds odd that your rom cant read discs burnt at faster than 2x, is your burner able to read them??

4. squizzle

squizzle Active member

Do your burner and media both support 2x burns?

5. Mgjkav

Mgjkav Member

Thanks for your replys.

The Problem is that my dvd-rom cant read anything writen over 2x. I can burn at 8x and it will work fine in my dvd stand alone player.

My dvd-rom is a toshiba sd-m1612. and although I had suspected it, it cant read over 2x, I got confermation this-morning. Firmware updates wont help. My dvd-writer is a liton sohw-1633s. for some reason it wont read anything I burn.

Tell me if im making work for myself here but to resolve this, when I transcoded an avi file with nero I then used shrink to make an image and set decrypter to burn at 2x. It worked, and only adds about 10mins to the overall prosess.I can now read the burned files and play the burned dvd on my pc and stand alone player. The problem still stands for my burner, I cant read anything i burn. And how can I make data disks when nero wont give me an option to burn at 2x. Can I buy 2x disks?. I guess I could buy a new dvd-rom. Any sujestions on what to buy?

B.T.W - I have the latest firmware for my burner

Last edited: Jan 10, 2005
  6. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

new dvd rom $50AUD if that so might be a way to go.
    Somethings wrong if the burner cant read its own output. maybe run neros info tool and see what is supported/speeds/dma enabled yes or no on your drives

7. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

maybe try deleting your drives from device driver and re installing

8. Mgjkav

Mgjkav Member

Hi there,

thanks for getting back.

Dma is "on" both drives. Read speed is 48x for both drives. I Will delete drives and re-install them and i'll get back to you with the results.

Thanks

9. cougar_ii

cougar_ii Regular member

Hi there,

I am still waiting on my new pc (Still on the truck), but I assume it will be a Philips DVD8631 DVD Burner since it's a Dell Dimension 8400.

I read that this drive will burn DVD-R 8x / 4x
    I see no 2x on the list, so I assume I will also not be able to burn at 2x.

We will wait and see..

10. Mgjkav

Mgjkav Member

You will be able to burn at x2 with certain burning software.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2005
  11. Mgjkav

Mgjkav Member

Ok Deadcat.

Did as you sujested. No change. It occurs to me, (before I installed dvd-burner I had a cd writer) maybe there is a conflict between the two. I did download a program from nero to clean old cd and dvd-burner drivers but it didnt find any, but you know how windows can be funny sometimes. Would a clean windows install be an extreme move?

12. cougar_ii

cougar_ii Regular member

Hi there,

A clean Windows install may be considered extreme, but in the past 7 years, on my old P2-333 (Windows 98SE) I think I rebuilt it like 5 times since.

Now I have an other little pc (My Tester) which everthing is tested before it goes on my main pc.

Trying and installing all sorts of crap on a PC will get to you someday (I know)...

You get to a point where you have so many conflicts and problems, a clean install might be a way to go.

I mean when your PC is really acting up, crashes alot etc..

My 2 cents worth !

13. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

i do a clean install of windows every 3 months (keep all personal files/media on seperate partitions). It takes next to nothing, especially if you use either an imaging program like nortons, or keep all your needed installs on a partition ready to go (beats swapping cds)

14. Mgjkav

Mgjkav Member

Hi Deadcat,

I burned a cd-rw on my dvd burner last night to see if I could read that, and I could so the dvd-burner can read what it burns, just not from a dvd-r.

I think I'll try a clean install which I do regular anyway.

How do you go about setting up the partition. My windows is just at start-up disk and my drive has a hiden partition. Could I set up another partition like you have done? Could you point me in the right direction,ie, a tutorial. Could I create a partition now and save my files, or do I need to do it after a format?

Thanks for all your help

15. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

unless you have an aftermarket disk manager like partition magic you will have to do it when you re-install xp (dont know about 98 etc, everyone should be using xp by now).
    Simply save anything you need to disc or spare drive. insert windows cd and reboot. Windows will ask you where you want to install, and ask if you want to make a partition. Personally i make my partitions 1/4 of drive size so 120gb drive equals 4 partitions of 38.1gb each. I then install windows on one, set one up for music, another for movies and another for documents/installs/misc.
    Just note that when it asks you to set up a partition, you work out the size of bytes (38.1gb=40,978,309 X 4=Approx 120gb)not 120,000,000/4 as windows sees hd size differently to manufactures
    A 120gb hard drive gives 4 partitions of 38.1gb each
    A 240gb hard drive gives 4 partitions of 55.8 gb each

sorry if i ramble, it is quite simple to do, and once set up is very easy to manage files/installs/recoveries

16. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

sorry, didnt realise you were using a recovery drive to install. to partition your drive i think you will need partition magic or something similar ($50approx) or buy new 120gb hard drive and install as slave to your orinal ($60 and you can never have too much space). You will be able to format/partition new drive with windows

17. Mgjkav

Mgjkav Member

Thanks Deadcat.

I think the new hard-drive is the way to go as I have plans to build with a bigger hard-drive anyway. + I have so many programs that I use, it is hard to keep track. many hours spent looking through cd's lol.

Thanks for all the help. Much appreciated.
    And you 2 cougar_ii, for your "2 cents worth".

18. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

no problems, let us know how you get on

19. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

Hello Mgjkav...

I noticed you mentioned you have DMA (Direct Memory Access) enabled.

I was wondering how I can make sure I have DMA enabled for my Hard drives? I am running Windows XP.

20. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

right click My Computer, Hardware, Device Manager, IDE ATAPI Contollers, click on primary and secondary and make sure Current Transfer Mode is set to UDMA. If its not, right click on the channel (secondary usually) and click uninstall. Reboot and check again