1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning Vista as a bootable disk

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by cremated, Mar 26, 2007.

1. cremated

cremated Member

Howdy, i have copied the contents of my Vista boot dvd onto my hard drive and want to burn it to disk, not sure what to burn as i cant find an iso file. I know i can install straight from the hard drive using the .exe but i have xp and fedora as adual boot and want to go for triple boot using vista as well. Use nero? And what process would i use?
    Cgeers

2. AXT

AXT Guest

first burn the disk as a .ISO image, then burn that .ISO image onto a DVD. It might be easier done on alcohol 120 if you don't know how to use nero very well. Search google for alcohol 120, install it,put vista disk in, burn it as an image file, burn that image file onto a disk.

3. cremated

cremated Member

thanx but i dont think i was clear enough. I DONT have a disk. i copied the contents of the disk to my hard drive and gave the disk to a mate. i just not sure which way to go about making another bootable disk with the files i have . surely there is an easy solution in nero, do i just use nero xpress and make data dvd, but that wont make it bootable will it?

4. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Dumping the files of Vista is not going to work like it did in XP.

ISO file limitation sizes in Nero are limited to 2GB...and will not allow you to create a bootable DVD. Besides, just copying the files from the disk to the drive doesn't include the boot files needed for making a bootable disk.

The files you have....are pretty much worthless. You're going to have to start over...this time use MagicISO or something similar to create the ISO from the DVD.

5. 3lement

3lement Regular member

If you have vista on your computer (installed) like i do you can make a bootable disc that will install it on your computer. If its not installed on your computer theres a program out there that can make your files into bootables but im not sure what it is. (google it). O yea and vista isnt my recommendation right now its kinda buggy i mean my computer crashed about 3 times and i know it wasnt a virus. and it was so bad that i couldnt system restore i had to install everything all over again. (;lost all my information) id stick with xp till they fix the bugs.

6. cremated

cremated Member

Hey thanks for your help guys. I solved my problem. I just went ahead ans installed vista over the top of XP, stuff it why not its time to learn somethin new anyway. Cheers for your advice :)

7. 3lement

3lement Regular member

Its good to hear that you solved your problem. If you huave any more questions maybe we can help you with them.

8. hobo420

hobo420 Member

I have been getting a lot of issues with trying to burn the iso file of vista. i have created the iso image and i can mount it and all but i want to burn it to a dvd so i can put it on my desk top that is lunix installed that i want to do a duel boot with it. when i burn it with nero it keeps giving me an error stating illegal disk error. any ideas on what might i be doing wrong?