1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

burning vynal albums to computer cd-rs

Discussion in 'Audio' started by nwlaboy, Sep 19, 2002.

1. nwlaboy

nwlaboy Member

I thought I saw an article for a CD-R and Board that would allow you to burn your vynal album collection to CD via your computer. It also featured a library set-up. Was I dreaming? I can't find it through any of the search engins! Help

2. Racemann

Racemann Regular member

I'm not quite sure what you are asking, but anyone can make a backup of their tapes, LP's, 45's, or 8 tracks, etc.... as long as they've got a soundcard. If you record the music to a .wav file, you're pretty much set to burn it to a CD.

The next step would be to have some sort of software to help you with that. Nero is great b/c it includes a Wave Editor program to let you capture sound sources into *.wav files. Then by having Nero, you can compile and burn the songs to CD.

If you are asking about a cataloging or archiving software then I can't help you there.

http://www.digitalaudio.com/how_to/vinyl_to_cd_conversion2.htm

3. nwlaboy

nwlaboy Member

Thank you Racemann--You've given me something to try! I think I was a little confusing in my questioning. I think that the sound card had a hook-up for you to plug in your turntable, but I could probably figure something out with the soundcard I have, just need to get the right connection, I guess.

4. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

Note that you need a soundcard with pre-ampped phono input connection, OR you connect turntable to you amp and then connect the amp to sound card (auxilary connection, NOT THE SPEAKER CONNECTORS).

5. nwlaboy

nwlaboy Member

I guess if I used the mic connection it wouldn't be in sterio, right?

6. nwlaboy

nwlaboy Member

I have a SoundMAX Integrated Audio card. It came with my system, so I don't have any information about it--don't think it has a pre-amped phono connection unless I could use the mic connection, but I could check on-line. I do have an extra amp around here, somewhere!

7. nwlaboy

nwlaboy Member

To whomever sent me a private message. I have had some difficulty accessing my "private message" board, but I have sent a feedback to the site administrators to correct the bug. Hopefully I'll hear from them soon. I just wanted you to know that you are not being ignored!

8. FTT

FTT Member

I have NERO but didn't know you could rip with it. I'll have to check it out.

Have you tried MusicMatchJukebox? There's a free basic version. I have used the Plus version before to rip from cassette with good results.

The preamp mentioned goes like so:
    Hook your turntable to a receiver or amplifier. Connect the record out/preamp out of the amp/receiver to the line in on your soundcard. Adjust your line in volume on your pc to get maximum volume without distortion with a test burn, then you're ready to go.

9. nwlaboy

nwlaboy Member

Cool, I do have the free version of Music Match. I am still waiting on a reply from the SoundMAX people to find out if I can use the mic jact for recording in sterio.

10. FTT

FTT Member

I went to 'Volume Controls' options> properties> recording and tried to move the balance slider on the michrophone channel and it wouldn't move from center to either side. This suggests to me that it is a mono only mike input.

I think you would need a small mike mixer and use it's outputs to record through line in or possibly the auxiliary input too.

11. nwlaboy

nwlaboy Member

Well, I finally have the turntable hook up, but as FTT said, the mic input is only mono, and I do not have a line in or auxillery input--all ther is is a headphone jack, speaker jack, and mic jack! Major bummer. What I have recorded as a test sounds like crap because it is not in sterio. It sounds like an old phonograph player!

Does anyone know of a USB sound hook up I could get?

12. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

13. Pio2001

Pio2001 Moderator Staff Member

It seems you lack the necessary hardware, You need a line input for recording into your computer, and a phono ampli to play the records.

14. D.S.

D.S. Guest

Yes, you need a soundcard with a "Line" input in order to feed the stereo signal into the computer. You need also a special cable to connect the "Line" or "AUX" (or at least "PHONES") output of your turntable to the soundcard (it depends according the type of the turntable you have, what kind of connectors: jacks or RCA or DIN it must have to one end. The other must be a 3.5mm stereo jack; however, it must be a stereo cable).
    You might need some special software as well to improve the quality of the records (Sound Forge and the Vinyl Restoration plug-in for ex.)
    However, the sound quality of the vinyl records is not a problem for a good soundcard. I mean vinyl disks are much noisier and less dynamic than modern CDs, so they would not challenge your computer more than a CD. The problem is the hardware cable connection and the postprocessing software, if you want some decent quality. There might be necessary to apply a special postprocessing equalisation for RIAA compensation.

15. thargor

thargor Member

I can, as a Pro sound engineer, very highly recommend the Creative Sound Blaster Extigy, which is a USB device. This I use for all recording and playback needs, both on laptop and desktop. It is not cheap, but it is gradually coming down in price. I've had mine for 8 months now and haven't worn it out yet.

16. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

Thargor,

I am in an understanding that Extigy has the basic flaw of resampling everything to 48khz? Am I right?

17. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

The NoiseReduction plugin for SoundForge also helped me out with many of my analogue recordings, especially cassettes tapes.

18. nwlaboy

nwlaboy Member

Cool! You guys have given me many opetions! I am finally understanding that this is not an "easy" task, but I am open to all suggestions! Keep them coming. AND thank you for all the input.

19. thargor

thargor Member

cd-rw.org - Admin.

Sorry for delay in replying, but unfortunately have to work for a living. Yes it does resample to 48khz, but I do not find this a problem. The majority of people could not tell the difference if it hit them in the face. I have NEVER yet had anyone who could tell me what I am playing from what source. On most of my shows I will be continually switching from Beta, CD, Mini disc, 2x computers, owing to the fact I don't know up until 1hr before start what may be required. Sorry if I sound abrupt but this is one subject that really gets my back up. I shall mention this no more.
    Seasons greetings to all.

20. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

Thargor,

I am not also sure how significant the resampling issue is. However, it can easily be measured and therefore makes you consider other options as well. For example the StereoLink 1200, which doesn't resample.

BTW, there is SSRC resampling plugin for WinAmp to possibly improve the performance.