1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

burning w/ alcohol 120% to dvd-r

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by rockraven, Jan 2, 2005.

1. rockraven

rockraven Guest

I am wandering if i can get specific details on backing up a dvd using alcohol 120% (i ahve v.1.92) and buring onto a dvd-r....anyones help would be much appreciated...also need advice on which blanks i should use +R or -R ???? thanks a lot everyone
    -Dave
    (i am new here)

2. bardie

bardie Regular member

I have Alcohol 120% but I do not use it for copying movies, only backing-up pc games, so I'm not sure how to do movies.
    Just for interest sake you can use two free programs to do all your ripping and burning.
    DVD Decrypter can rip your movie to your hard drive and go on to burn it if you choose.
    DVD Shrink can also rip your movie to your hard drive and compress it at the same time so it will fit onto a 4.7gb disc, but it is unable to burn it for you.
    And as for what media to use, if your writer can use both DVD+R and DVD-R or one or the other, just get yourself some decent media such as TDK, Verbatim, Sony and there are a heap more.
    Burn at 4x and you should be ok.
    I'm sorry for going away from Alcohol 120%, but I was just trying to give you other options, perhaps other members of this forum can help you in that respect.
    Hope it goes well for you.

3. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Have you actually tried burning with alcohol?, it is a nice & easy piece of software to use. Open it up and go to copy wizard. Just follow the progs lead, select reading device, it is really quite simple!
    Other than that you should really be able to follow the software. You can use any media, if you use RW you will have to Format it first, otherwise you will get "waiting for media" message. If you get any specific probs, let us know, otherwise PLEASE JUST TRY IT OUT!!
    Sorry to be so brutal but we don't really like to spoon feed people unless they have actually tried for themselves. If we did, we would spend all day replying to peoples ridiculously simple probs that they can't be arsed to even to solve by simply trying. Do you see??!!
    Give it a go & let us know how you get on. I would try with RW first to minimise coasters.
    Kind regards,
    Pulsar

Last edited: Jan 3, 2005
  4. bardie

bardie Regular member

Thanks Pulsar for adding your response, I new someone out there would know how to use alcohol 120%, I have had the program for ages, perhaps I should learn how to do movies with it myself!!
    I do like DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink though, so easy and free into the bargain.
    Cheers.

5. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Don't forget that alcohol will not compress for you, just rip & burn. I prefer it to nero. But the 2 progs work well with each other.
    The thing is, is that, I am a great believer in trying progs out for myself. I have found it the best way to learn. Not only that, others here appreciate it when people do try it for themselves, & THEN asking for help when you have tried different ways.
    I love playing about with new software to see how it works & how easy (or difficult!) it is to use.
    Kind regards,
    Pulsar

Last edited: Jan 3, 2005
  6. rockraven

rockraven Guest

alrite...soo tell me if this is something common that you people do:
    1. I burn an image to my HD using dvd decrypter(to decrypt the copyright protection)
    2. burn the image onto a blank dvd-r using alchol 120%

is that it? and is it really THAT easy?!