1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

burning wii games doesnt work anymore!!

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by tofikbey, Nov 8, 2007.

1. tofikbey

tofikbey Guest

i've been burning wii iso's for a while now and i had no problems with them until recently.
    i use the same burning software as before (imgburn) same dvd writer (sony) and same dvd's. wii recognizes the dvd on the main menu but soon as i load it up i get a disk read error. i've tried it with about 6 games. all the games i burnt earlier work fine but the recent ones dont work. i've updated wiikey to 1.9b but still no hope.... anyone have any ideas? i'm gonna change my dvd writer if all else fails.

2. robgrm

robgrm Guest

What version OS is on your WII? Have you updated your WII recently? If so, how did you update : online or with a game disk?

3. Thinone

Thinone Regular member

its worth tryig a different writer to rule it out

also a new pack of the same brand of discs may be the cause as discs can be different even if branded the same

try some different ones

4. Menion

Menion Regular member

I'm with Thinone, Burners do eventualy go out, these days they are all practically made disposable, I have had it happen to 2 of my burners now over the last 3 years they eventually start writing in some weird way that usually the drive that burned it turns out being the only one that can read it.

5. lawtyger

lawtyger Member

I'm having a similar problem. All earlier backup games still work, but the last 10 are not working. The last 10 worked intially (for example, I played FIFA 08) several days, but today the Wii doesn't read it. Again, all ealier backed up games still work?

Not sure what happened. I do not believe it is the media since I haven't started a new package and because of the FIFA 08 example above.

Any ideas?

6. juniR

juniR Guest

...erm I notice you went to 1.9b - perhaps try 1.9g?

7. lawtyger

lawtyger Member

Please forgive the stupid question but. . . what's the deal with 1.9b or 1.9g.

I guess what I'm asking is why are people updating to this? Is it to play Mario Galaxy or is it just wise to always update the Wiikey?

I bought my Wii already modified and I don't have a clue what it has in it. . . only that it plays backed up games (until the last 10 as mentioned above).

Would you mind explaining to me the point of updating?

8. juniR

juniR Guest

You can try 1.9g because you can go back to 1.9b if it doesn't solve your problem or creates some other error.

The point of updating is generally to try to fix all latest known errors and improve performance. If you can downdate then that can also be more preferable in the case when a problem created by the update is worse than the "improvement." It's very much a case of trial and error.

Note: There is a difference between these kinds of update and the official ones provided by Nintendo. The Nintendo ones can not be downdated but have nothing to do with the actual modchip and the modchip has nothing to do with the Wii firmware - it's the Wii dvd drive firmware the modchip "plays" with

The Nintendo update does not actually interfere with the modchip firmware as it can't detect it but Nintendo update the copy protection on new games disks making it impossible for the chipped drives to read them. Eventually the chip developers suss this out and they issue an update. The newly updated modchip injects code as the disk is loaded to bypass this protection - tit for tat basically.

In my experience - some things just work - whilst the 1.9g was issued to address SMG there's every possibility that it is more efficient in addressing other issues and that can actually be an accidental bonus ;)

9. lawtyger

lawtyger Member

I think I understand. Should I think of the update as being similar to backing up movie DVD in the sense of programs like DVD Decrypter and DVDFab were always updating the software in order to circumvent the latest movies with newer beter incription?

So essentially, SMG came out with better encryption so that even if you backup a copy with rawdump it won't play on the Wii until you upgrade the 1.9g???

10. juniR

juniR Guest

11. lawtyger

lawtyger Member

thanks. Makes sense now.

Now if I can just figure out what several of my most recent backups which WERE working have all of a sudden stopped while all my earlier backups and even a backup made yesterday of Olympic Games is working fine. It can't be because of the encryption on the DVD that aren't playing because they did work for a while?

12. juniR

juniR Guest

The firmware update to the mod might have adversely affected those disks. It's not an exact science and as I said earlier the most recent firmware update might well create new problems with older burns that were fine before... solution try burning again on different media.

13. lawtyger

lawtyger Member

Okay, but now I'm a little confused. Earlier you said:

"The Nintendo update does not actually interfere with the modchip firmware as it can't detect it but Nintendo update the copy protection on new games disks making it impossible for the chipped drives to read them. Eventually the chip developers suss this out and they issue an update. The newly updated modchip injects code as the disk is loaded to bypass this protection - tit for tat basically."

To be clear, the only thing I have ever done with my Will is allow system updates when prompted by an original Nintendo game or a system update via the internet from Nintendo. I have NEVER attempted to update mod chip because, quite frankly, I don't know which mod chip I even have?

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that the Nintendo update does NOT interfere with the mod chip at all. So, if I haven't changed the mod chip at all (just did a system update from Nintendo) I don't see why this particular set of backed up games which were working, all of a sudden stopped working and are no longer recognized when inserted into the Wii.

Please tell me if I'm missing something or mischaracterizing what you said?

14. juniR

juniR Guest

Well all I can think of - and this is only a guess... perhaps the Wii was happy with the code injected by the Wii using that media before Nintendo did the update. Maybe the Wii is a little unhappy with what it's getting from the disk now and has changed it's mind about allowing it.

The Nintendo update won't simply deal with the games themselves - the machine will be waiting for some confirmation that you have a legitimate original copy and the modchip is supposed to fool it.

Now if you consider the fact that some media works and some doesn't then clearly some media when pushed through the chipped drive gives a good verification and this will depend on the media as much as anything. Let's say Nintendo spot a way of cutting out some of these bogus verifications then this may well mean that an update will stop previously working disks from being read.

I can't say that my explaination is fact - It's just theory but it would explain why this seems to be a common problem. All I can say is try other media and if you get success then perhaps I'm close ;)

My overall advice would be - don't depend on any backup disk 100% cos things change.

15. juniR

juniR Guest

Sorry I should be clearer here in what I mean... can't edit so replace the appropriate line with this...

Let's say Nintendo spot a way of cutting out some of these bogus verifications then this may well mean that an update will stop previously working disks from being accepted afterthey are read by the chipped drive.

16. lawtyger

lawtyger Member

Could. The only thing is, I didn't accept a system update from Nintendo until today when I was seeing if I was connected to the internet. When I checked, it then asked if I wanted to do a system update and I said yes and it took about 2 to 3 minutes. But the discs in question stopped working prior to doing this update and I haven't been asked to do an update after sticking a disc in for quite some time. Thus, I'm not sure an update caused the problem unless the update occurred without asking me at some point.

In any event, thanks for your help. I've leared a lot. I might try to switch to verbatim media just in case. It's just frustrating because I was actually really enjoying the FIFA 08 backup and strikes me as so odd that it (and about 8 or so) others just stopped playing. There's an explaination, but I'm not technical enough to figure it out :)

17. zhl203

zhl203 Member

Hi
    I just burned an wii iso game onto a DVD-RW using imgburn. I put the disk into the wii console --> I see the game icon and I click on it --> I hit the "start" button-->the screen went black. Anybody know the possible cause? Is it the disk? ISO file? or the burner? I'm using FUJIFILM with speed 1X to 2X. I burned at 1X. ISO file 4.37 GB (4,699,979,776 bytes). Please help. thanks.