1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning Wii/GCN games - Newbie help!

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by VGM, Jun 10, 2007.

1. VGM

VGM Member

Hi!
    Im very new to the Wii burning/mod scene and have some questions if you dont mind. You people seem to know what your talking about and would like to some confirmation before I start anything.

Ive been reading up on how to burn Wii images but it seems all a bit confusing. Most ppl like using IMGBurn to burn images. Is this the best softwear to use? I have Nero 7 Ultra, but ive read that its not good to use.
    After you download an ISO or WII file. Ive read you need to unscramble the WII file using Rawdump 2.0. Then what? Just burn it?
    I have a LG GSA-H10A drive. Can this drive work to burn games? I dont care to create my own backups at the moment. Seems to confusing right now. :)
    Also I read somewhere that you can brick your system! So should I run the "Wii Brick Blocker" program before I burn it as well?

Basically what I would like to know is, is there a list of software and or a tut, explaining exactly what to do to burn Wii games?
    Oh ya is burning GCN games similar or is it completly different?

About media: I have Maxell DVD-R's are they any good or MUST I get those Verbatim dvd-r or yudens dvd-r's?

And whats this whole thing about patching? I dont get it?! o_O

thank you in advance.

VGM out...

2. Demaster

Demaster Regular member

Burning a game
    tutorial for burning a game - http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/471073

After downloading, unzip the files you've downloaded. Chances are, it'll come out as a .wii file. This is just the raw file. So if you were to rip a wii game for all it's data it would be read in as a .wii file. Next step is to use Rawdump 2.0 to turn it into a burnable .iso. After unzipping if you get a .iso just burn it, otherwise turn it into a .iso via Rawdump.

I hope that's understandable :p

Nero is fine to burn
    IMGburn is fine to burn
    Hell, DVDdecrypter is good to burn

Your DVD drive is good to BURN games (any is). However only FOUR drives are able to RIP games. You'd have to order the ~$20 DVD drive to backup your own games (double check at the sticky thread - I have it linked above)

Your Media is fine. From what I've read from other posts is that Maxell/Verbatim seems to get the best response - doesn't mean anything else doesn't work.
    --------------

I don't know about Gamecube games ust yet. I have yet to try myself personally.

Please post a link to this Wii brick blocker program. As far as I'm concernced you can screw up any amount of wiring within the wii and no software will fix it.

Concerning patches, people have popped in either Mario Strikers or Paper Mario and the game asked to update the wii. They agreed and ended up bricking the wii. As far as I know you just need to update your wii before popping in either of these games and the games should work. For the people who tried to update their wii via game, they are being told to wait for an update...but...just know to keep your wii up to date :)

Last edited: Jun 10, 2007
  3. dab0ne

dab0ne Regular member

ok so here is the deal. when i download a torrent (which are only the games i have the originals of) i dont do anything with it besides extract the files and then put them straight onto a disc. and i burnt mario party 4 for the gamecube and it worked great. i even put it on a standard dvd and put it into the wii and all is peachy. but as far as ripping a game you need to use that tutorial that was previously offered to you. as previously mentioned your media should be fine but if not just try and find another that your wii will play. im personally using sony dvd+r and they work good but some peoples wiis wont play the +r's so just experiment.

4. VGM

VGM Member

Thanks so much for the reply guys! Everything you've said seems understandable and have answered my concerns.

As to a link to the Wii Brick Blocker check it out here:
    http://wii.ds-scene.net/?act=viewtopic&s=wii&topic=2478

Oh one more questions. When installing the mod chip I read somewhere that you have to turn off WiiContect24 first then take out the battery, then install the chip, turn on the system, enable WiiConnect42, format the Wii then put the battery back in for it to work (WiiConnect24) properly, or something to that advail.... is that true?

Thanks again.

VGM out...

5. VGM

VGM Member

so anyone know if that is true? Sorry I really would like to know everything before I mod my and my friends Wii!

VGM out...

6. Kafluke

Kafluke Active member

First of all, there is no such thing as formatting the wii. The only reason why someone would suggest turning of wii connect before pulling out the battery is because you might lose all your wireless settings if you don't. I didn't lose any settings and just took the thing apart without changing anything in my settings. Some people have reported to lose their wireless settings cause them to have to re set it up again.

Careful, Dabone, it's against forum rules to talk about game piracy. You're gunna get busted if your not more careful

7. VGM

VGM Member

Pffft is that it? Thats why they say to turn off WiiConnect24? I dont care about my settings. I can always do them up again! OK thanks man! I really appritiate your help! This is great! I was like so worried about breaking the system!

VGM out...

Last edited: Jun 11, 2007
  8. Demaster

Demaster Regular member

Has anyone else tried this "brick blocker" program? Sounds kick ass.

Found very little reviews on it :(

9. feod

feod Member

Here it is, rawdump is good and all but is anoying and long, but 7zip is much better and easier.

You can download a free program named 7zip which allows you to uncompress these rar. files.

When attempting to uncompress a .rar archive which consists of multiple files, you only need to extract the first file in the archive, and the rest of the files are extracted automatically.

I hope this helps.

If you have any further questions please let me know.

10. larrylje

larrylje Active member

I have seen multiple threads on members screwing up WiiConnect24 without turning it off before installing a Modchip.

They can download firmware updates and connect to the Internet via Opera. But the Weather/News/Everybody votes channels will not update correctly. It has something to do with the date and time screwing up after taking the battery out so those channels won't update correctly.

It is a long process to get those channels back to normal. Below is more information on how to fix the problem...

http://saintjohnshawn.com/2007/04/22/so-you-modded-your-wii-and-now-cant-connect-to-the-internet

In any case why install a Modchip if you can't take the few seconds it takes to turn off Wiiconnect24. Why is it such a problem to turn it off?

As far as the rules are concerned nothing above has violated any rules. We are permitted to talk about torrent/downloaded files when it comes to extracting/patching and burning the files to disc. We are not permitted to link to torrents sites or torrents directly.

Now for the Wii Brick Blocker I have used it a few times and it does seem to work. But I wouldn't depend on it 100% you should still keep your Wii up to date with the latest firmware to be 100% safe when playing out of region game disc with firmware updates on them.

But if you want to be safe for sure then only play game disc that are the same region as your Wii.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2007
  11. MarcHare

MarcHare Member

Hi
    I am new to burning wii games i have download my iso file from bittorrent and download img burner but as i run this iso file in img burn it burns the iso to disk but it will not work on my wii does me wii need a chip or am i doing something wrong please help

12. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Yes your Wii needs a chip

13. Thinone

Thinone Regular member

until of course it prevents the game from working - galaxy is one of these - there are more

u dont even need to use it - i never have

either play all same region games as your wii or
    update your wii to latest update before trying a new game for the 1st time. if fully updated, the disc can try and update - wont hurt your wii

14. MarcHare

MarcHare Member

so a dont need a chip or do i if i do how much are the chips please

15. larrylje

larrylje Active member

What part of "Yes your Wii needs a chip" not answer your question?

16. NDarkness

NDarkness Regular member

Now I see why you rarely come here anymore Larry lol.

17. MarcHare

MarcHare Member

how much are the chips and were to get thm from

18. VGM

VGM Member

go to google.com and search for WiiKey
    i sure a place that sells them will pop up.

VGM out...

19. MarcHare

MarcHare Member

i have downloaded wiikey it is a winrar file what do i need to do next do i burn it to disk or do u have to purchase the chip tht is in the image please help need more information

20. NDarkness

NDarkness Regular member

Are you serious???

That is only the update disc (if you even got the right thing). You will need to purchase the Wiikey and solder it inside your Wii.

Here's a link that you might find useful.

How to mod your Wii