1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning with Shrink and Nero but nothing on disk

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by nick1811, Jan 9, 2005.

1. nick1811

nick1811 Member

I have spent lots of time trying to back up dvds now and i have only gotten a few to work. I use DVD Shrink and Nero, but i have also tried many other programs. I use HP DVD+R and i have a dell inspiron 5100 notebook with a Philips DVD+RW SDVD 6004 burner. I have windows XP with 512 ram and a 2.8 pentium 4. I have only gotten like 2 to work correctly. I go through the whole process and everything seems to work fine until i try to play the DVD, its like a blank disc, has nothing on it. Please help, what could be the problem? Could it be my burner? Thanks

2. mrman

mrman Regular member

are you saying that it wont play back on your dvd player or on your computer?

3. nick1811

nick1811 Member

both, but actually when it has worked before, it played on my DVD player but not in my computer. It did play on my roommate's computer though. But it has only worked like twice, so all the times it doesn't work, it won't play in either my computer nor my DVD players.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2005
  4. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

Not all burners/players like all media. Have you tried a different brand of media other than the HP +R you mentioned? Try a different brand or even RW. Also try burning at a reduced speed.

5. nick1811

nick1811 Member

yeah i've tried other types of media. I'll try slowing the burn speed down.

6. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

Nick: You might try this just as a test:

Use Shrink to do your thing and save as an ISO file.
    Burn with DVD Decrypter. You will have to change the Mode to ISO Write under Decrypter's Mode menu.

If this works for you, the problem may be due to a corrupted Nero. I'm assuming you have the latest and greatest version of Nero with updates. I've had problems that were resolved by simply uninstalling and reinstalling Nero.

Do you have any other DVD "burning" software installed that might be interferring with Nero? Decrypter doesn't count.

7. nick1811

nick1811 Member

yeah right now i have instant copy and DVDXcopy installed on my computer. My nero is downloaded from ares but i believe it is the newest version. version 6

8. nick1811

nick1811 Member

how would i save it as an ISO file?

9. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

When you click the "Backup" button on DVD Shrink,you will get a window entitled "Backup DVD." The first option is a dropdown menu labeled "Select backup arget:". Choose from the dropdown menu the "Select ISO Image" option. In the second option labeled "Select target image file:" provide the name and location for the ISO image file being created. This is the file you will later choose to have DVD Decrypter burn.

10. nick1811

nick1811 Member

alright thanks a lot, i will give that a shot.

11. nick1811

nick1811 Member

thanks a lot for your help, they seems to work, so far its two for two.