1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning XFile Season One-Disc One

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by maxaraxa, Feb 23, 2005.

1. maxaraxa

maxaraxa Guest

I have searched for a thread or guid to this question so please forgive me if there is another area that I need to go to.

I took a look at the disc and saw several vob files...and what I would like to do is burn a disc that will have the main menu which lets me pick which episode to watch and have all the episodes on one disc. The original is 7.47GB, 4 episodes.

What I was thinking was ripping with dvdd and then opening dvdshrink and pulling the vobs over that I want. How do I do this and still have it linked to the main menu? Is this possible with episode discs? Is there a guide to do this? Any advice on how to copy this disc?

Thanks, Max

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2005
  2. jeff369

jeff369 Member

I have a feeling this isn't a newbe questions, I'm also waiting to see how?

3. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

You would need to use a proggy like DVD Remake to be able to keep just the menu and main movies. You can do just the main movies in Shrink without the menu, but 4 episodes is pushing the quality. I have found that putting two on a DVD works much better. Sometimes you can get buy with 3 on one DVD, but 4 ushually needs to much compression for my liking. If you don't need the menus then shrink is the way to go. The remotes on stand alone DVD players have a button called "Title" and that is how you can switch between episodes so there really is no need for the menus unless you just like them. :)

4. maxaraxa

maxaraxa Guest

BB~thank you for the quick reply. Ok, I do not need the menu, you are right about being able to jump to the next episode... Just to clarify, (I use your guides ..ty ty ty), I use dvdd to rip to hdd and then do I use shrink? How do I rip 2 episodes at a time. Right now I have the whole disc ripped to my hdd. I am not sure how to pull the episodes out. Should I re-rip and do just "main movie" or do I need to open shrink and just look at each vob and try to figure out which ones to pull over?? Do I just do everything as if I were ripping a regular movie...ie:audio just the eng. 5.1...(I do rip in file mode per your guide)

5. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

If you have the whole DVD ripped to your HD then all you need to do in Shrink is...
    1. Click on reauthor
    2. Browse to where you ripped the disk on your HD
    3. Once you open the folder you should see several main movie files Probably 4 seeing how you have 4 episodes.
    4. Just select the first Main movie and drag it to the left..
    5. Do the same for the next Main Movie, and so on
    6. Click on Compression Tab and remove all unwanted audio and subtitles.. You have to do that with each and every Title so highlight each one and do this.
    7. Then just back up as normal...

Note
    Make sure you preview the main movies sometimes they are not the episodes, but directors talking and junk

6. maxaraxa

maxaraxa Guest

Do I need to keep the compression at 4364 or can I do no compression or set it to automatic?

7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi maxaraxa,

Although your question is a "Newbie" one, it isn't worded very clearly.

I'll try to answer it as I read it -
    If you hve a commerical DVD of the X-Files and you wish to copy it as it is, with it's menu and episodes together THEN, I would rip it with DVDD in the ISO Read Mode (to catch every neuance of the original) then pick it up with DVD Shrink (file - open disc image) then I would use the Backup / Quality Setings set at Maximum Sharpness and Deep Anaylsis then burn to disc in ISO Write Mode with either DVDD or CopyToDVD. (I have been using CopyToDVD for my current work of The Wire, Season 2). You will have everything on the backup that's on the original so good that it would be almost impossible to tell the difference with the naked eye - NO, No naked eye jokes - My eyes were "sweats" only a night.

NOW,

If you are compiling a DVD from recorded episodes (your question didn't lQQk that way BUT (?) it's hard to tell ~

Anyway, rip it with DVDD in the ISO Read Mode (to catch every neuance of the original) then use DVDLab to combine and create menus as you wish then send to Recode2 to burn to disc - Some editing may be done in Recode2 without losing menu. Again, I suggest using the ISO Write Mode so if there any extra angles you'll still maintain them.

If you aren't worried about your menus, use DVD2One in the "Join" - "Non-seamless" - "Mode".

Cheers,

Pete

Necessary links:

DVD Shrink ver. 3.2.0.15 - http://www.dvdshrink.org/

DVD Decrypter - http://www.dvddecrypter.com/

DVD2One - http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd-r_tools/dvd2one.cfm

DVDLab - excellent custom menu and authoring tool
    http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/

Nero recode2 - http://www.ahead.de/us/632261771103079.php

If you are using Recode, there is a helpful guide to help you in my sig. ~

Let me know how you do -

8. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

If you want them to fit on one DVD5 disk you need to keep the compression at 4364 or lower. You could just leave it on automatic, but now that you are doing this you can see why I said you should only do 2 to 3 episodes on one disk hu? I ushually stick to 2 episodes on the ones I like, but when I do the Buffy episodes for my daughter I go with 3 :)

9. maxaraxa

maxaraxa Guest

Scuba~I have rented The XFiles Season One, Discs 1 and 2 and there are 4 episodes on each disc that I would like to burn. I would like to be able to burn the disc as it is with menus, to keep it as intact as possible but being that the disc is 7.49 GB I didn't think you could do that and have it fit on the disc.I am confused ....
    So are you saying that I just need to rip using iso-read mode and then open with shrink and skip re-author and go straight to back up with those settings and then open ddvd and find the iso image and burn on one disc? I don't have to do 2 episodes per disc???

10. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

You can do it that way but quality will not be to good (from my experiance of doing these same exact disks) The compression will be a lot if I remember right its somewhere in the 50% to 60% range even after taking out all the extras and making menus still images. You can give one a try on RW media to see how it works for you if you want. You did say you already have the disk ripped on your hard drive so you can click on open files in DVD Shrink instead of open ISO and then follow Petes advise from there.. :)

11. maxaraxa

maxaraxa Guest

BB~I have been using your guide and it is so simple to follow and I have not had any probs so I think I will follow your advice. I will probably out of curiousity do it both ways just to see...when I open shrink, those settings are greyed out and I cannot click on those options. I have pulled the 1 and 2 episodes over to the left in shrink. Now when I hit "backup" can I do "ISO image file and burn with dvd decrypter" or should I just save it as an ISO image file and then open decrypter on my own? The 2 episodes show 3258 GB so I guess I don't need to compress, correct?

12. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

You can do it either way. What ever you feel most comfortable with. I ushually Burn with Nero, but again it dosent matter really. Good luck, and I would suggest you try all different ways (thats how you learn) then pick the one you like best. I have just found using Shrink on episode disk's to be easy and fast. Thanks for the feedback on the guides, but if you noticed Pete has a guide there to, and he is much more of an expert at this than me so any advise from him you can bet is very good too... :)

13. maxaraxa

maxaraxa Guest

Ok, ty for all the info and I didn't mean any disrespect to Scuba he has been very helpful also, it is that I need to have it spelled out, neon lights, sledge hammer over the head instructions. So any input on why those settings were greyed out in shrink?

14. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Which settings??

15. maxaraxa

maxaraxa Guest

from Scuba's reply he said to do in shrink:

16. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Those will be grayed in if you have no compression for the simle fact that you don't need them because you are getting a perfect 1:1 back up.. :)
    You may be able to get 3 episodes on one disk with 3528 being your overall size.. Just drag the third title over to left and see how much compression you get. If its 80% or better you should be good to go, and then you will get those little boxes to check.. :)

Then again 3 doesn't really go into 8 very good does it? so you may be better off with 2 on each disk.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2005
  17. maxaraxa

maxaraxa Guest

I pulled the third title over and kept each title on Automatic and it is showing 4364 and the lowest is 87.7 for compression.

Well, I plan on burning the whole season so I am not sure that they will all be 4 episodes per disc, which comes to my next question..If I burn 3 episodes on one disc, and I then rip season disc 2, can I still tell shrink that I still want the last title from season disc 1 and still be able to pull the titles from season disc 2?

18. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Yup.. Just keep track of what you do.. Just do the 3 and 3 this will leave you with 2 episodes left. The easiest way to keep track of those would be to go ahead and do those 2 on to your HD for now until you get the next disk. Then just open up the ISO of those episodes (should be 7 & 8) in Shrink and hit reauthor, then drag each movie over as before then go to the next disk after ripping it to your HD and drag over episode 9.... Its just matter of keeping track of what you are doing and namming them so you can remember.

19. maxaraxa

maxaraxa Guest

Okie Dokie, When you say "renamming them" do you mean in shrink or when I rip? I think this will be the last question and then hopefully I will be set to go.

20. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Just use a naming convention you can easily identify when you back up the disk in SHrink as an ISO to your HD. Something like Xfile_episode7_8.ISO that way you will know exactly what is in that ISO so when you do get the third disk you will have no problem putting those 2 episodes into shrink and then draging in episode 9... :)