1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning xVid codec avi's to disc using Nero....or playing VCD

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by billybob, Jan 9, 2007.

1. billybob

billybob Regular member

Hello fellow ad'ers!

Well, i have a group of .avi's on my harddrive, episodes of a certain series.

I want to burn these to disc, and had a great title menu made and all sorts, i spent alot of time making a neat looking title menu.

I used Nerovision to do this, and was planning to use Nerovision again to burn these .avi's to DVD, to play in my DVD player.

Well....i have three queries people!

Firstly, the .avi's are 350mb each (approx) on my harddrive, then when i use nerovision to burn them to DVD, they jump up to about 1.3 gigabytes each. I have a feeling that this is a dumb misjusgement of mine, and that this is completely normal when converting avi to DVD format. Anyway, that was my first query, whether or not that was normal. If it is normal, then im screwed basically because what would have all fitted onto one disc nicely, would then have to fit on 3-4! Please clarify :D

Secondly, when i try to burn them to disc, (accepting that i would need 3 or 4 discs, and only able to fit 2-3 episodes on each), i get an error message, and it wastes the disc because they arent rewritable.

I have no idea what this means, i hazard a guess that its something to do with the fact that they are xVid codex avi's? Please help as to what this means.

Thirdly, and finally, my last query. A....Video CD is it? A VCD? Or something like that.....when you burn .avi's to a dvd as a data disc....and try to play them in a dvd player.
    Well, i tried this, as it was a way of making them all fit if query one was...well, true.
    It didnt work though, they wouldnt play in my dvd player....is this normal?

Thank you if u have had the time to look through this. Thanks again :D

billybob

p.s using tdk dvd-r disks.

2. mistycat

mistycat Active member

An avi is a compressed video and encoding is basically uncompressing it and will increase it's size, that is normal. More bitrate = larger file and better quality. A data DVD and a VCD are totally different. There are standalone DVD players that will play data but as far as I know, don't have menues so you have to fast forward to the next. Not sure on your log but TDK can be very good or very bad, depending where it's manufactured. Taiyo Yuden, Verbatim or any made in Japan are considered best. See this guide, too: http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm You might try slowing your burns to 4x, that may help. And have a look at VSO ConvertXtoDVD, should let you get 3 -4 episodes on a disc with a menu but the trial does put a watermark in your video.

3. billybob

billybob Regular member

Cheers misty, youve helped me alot recently :D:D:D

4. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Thanks, but sorry I couldn't sort your router out for you. I still think that ip address you see in ipconfig is correct but don't know why it doesn't work.

5. billybob

billybob Regular member

Ok mate. I will contact netgear later on, at least i now know what i need to change! Before you helped and made that thread, i didnt have a clue! I thought that 12 kb/s was normal!

LOL