1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burnt data DVDs unreadable on other drives

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by tavmus, May 1, 2005.

1. tavmus

tavmus Member

I've had an ASUS DRW1604P for about 3 weeks and have only just realised that none of the data dvds that I've burnt work on other DVD drives. I'm using nero and the data is verified after a burn and works fine on the actual burner drive, but when I transfer the disc to my Samsung DVD drive, it can't play most of the video files burnt, the picture files are jumbled (eyes, ears, nose etc in different places), or the disc just isn't able to be opened/read by the drive.
    I'm using Nero 6.6.0.12 and have tried different brands of media including TDK and Maxell. CDRs are burnt fine and work fine on other drives and I've got the latest firmward upgrade. I've also used easy dvd which produced a disc that was unreadable by either drive. I've run the discs through cdcheck and on the burner drive, no errors are found, but when run through the dvd drive, no errors are found but warnings that the file size and bytes read are different. Is there a fault with the burner or am I missing something simple? Can anyone help?

2. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Sounds like a burner issue in terms of compatibility, or even dirty optic within the laser assembly.

Use some compressed air and alcohol and q tip to clean.

Failing that, copy the info to another brand of disc and see if that works................

3. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

MUHAHAHAHAH

star trekking across the universe hehehe @ BaaBaa...

inst the ASUS DRW1604P a pioneer insides? are you useing multisession if so dont and close / finalize disc!

i have a problem with ridisc go5 ritek 8x they burn fine and then my burner wont read them! so i just dont buy them anymore but! i still use go5 8x ritek but 3 other names like ANV RIVISION SILVERS and these work? go figure...

4. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Haven't heard that for a while................LOL

Good point regarding multisession, a sure show topper.............

Just getting ready to settle down to watch Star Trek V:The final frontier.........BBC1 10:30.............just watching wallace and grommit at the mo'..........

Last edited: May 2, 2005
  5. tavmus

tavmus Member

no multisession either and I've used different media too, different brands and I have also tried dvd+R and dvd-R. I may just end up having to return it on warrenty and see if another one works...

6. baabaa

baabaa Active member

It points to your samsung being the issue, if the discs are ok in another PC.

Have you tried updating the firmware on the samsung, or even cleaning it?

7. tavmus

tavmus Member

i have tried the discs on a notebook as well and they don't work. the notebook couldn't detect the disc. It's how I found out they weren't working when I lent someone my discs. I'm going to try them at work today just to double check though

8. tavmus

tavmus Member

I've tried the discs on another computer, with a newer LG dvd drive. It seems to be able to read more files, but again, not all the files are able to be opened.

It seems like the files just aren't being burned correctly. someone suggested to me the laser may not be calibrated properly. is there anyway to calibrate it out of nero or should nero calibrate it properly before burning?

9. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

this is sounding like a bad drive?

10. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Yep, I agree there.....

Just re-reading your initial post you state that you have had it for 3 weeks, was this bought brand new, if so I wouldn't hesitate to return at warp factor 7.............

11. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hehehe

yes that should get you back in time to 11 months of garantee to exchange item...?

star trekking across the universe....

12. tavmus

tavmus Member

another update - i've replaced the drive with a new one, but it still does the same thing. when the technicians tested it , they said there was nothing wrong with the drive because it burnt fine with them.

What else could I be doing wrong or is the burner just not compatible with something in my system?

13. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

did they test the drive with the same app version of nero and same type brand media discs?

also do you have roxio loaded? and they say it worked? well i would take that with a pinch of salt...

ok, in nero what type disc tab are you useing? dvd iso? can you try another app? did you try a new brand of media one you havent ued yet! like ritek!

14. tavmus

tavmus Member

the techs used nero 6 and tdk discs and burnt a handful of jpegs and wma files which worked fine on a couple of their dvd drives so they told me that's what asus would do if they got the drive and would find no fault. he gave me a new drive anyway though.

i don't have roxio. i tried easy dvd and it produced a disc that i couldn't use on any drives, it was unreadable even by the burner. i've also tried to copy dvd on nero, which burnt a disc but none of the files could be opened. i've used tdk -r and +r and maxell +r. i can try a verbatim disc later though.

15. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

then i am totally lost on this one? sorry mate but stay tuned some one may just have the answer!

16. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Hmmm, lets just take stock and refresh our problem.......C'mon Rotary, get those dilithiums going again...........

A recap.
    Cd's burn/verify and work in other players/readers.
    Dvd's burn/verify but do not work in other drives.
    Nero is being used and appears to burn/verify successfully.
    Different brands of media used and same results.
    + and - R discs produce the same results.
    Firmware on burner is upto date.
    Tried the discs on laptops and also same results.
    Drive has been replaced and same results happening.

Well, even though it appears that Nero is doing it's job, the next step would be to uninstall Nero completely and also use the clean tools found here http://www.nero.com/eng/Download_Utilities.html to TOTALLY get rid of ALL references.
    Then reinstall it and see what results you get.

Now if they are exactly the same, list exactly what you are trying to obtain, and also your process that your using - ie What settings you are selecting for which option etc.

Failing that, it maybe worth trying an alternative software such as Recordnow (I haven't been able to find a trial version of this as of yet).

Post back your results.........we'll get to the bottom of this......

Last edited: May 4, 2005
  17. tavmus

tavmus Member

i deleted nero and reinstalled it and updated the firmware on the samsung dvd drive in one go. it all works now!

Don't know which step fixed it but I can even burn a proper dvd copy now on nero. have yet to try the copied dvds on another drive to see if it was the firmware or the software and haven't tried easydvd to see if that works now or not. time will tell if it's totally fixed but in the meantime, i'm happy!

18. krusick

krusick Member

I had a similar problem using a Sylvania VCR/DVD Reader/Writer recently. I would dub a VCR -> DVD-RW, and play it back with no problems. Then I took the DVD-RW to my computer that had a max 16X reader/writer in it and use CloneDVD2 with AnyDVD, and burned a new 8X DVD. Burned perfectly, however, when I took the DVD to the Sylvania unit, it wouldn't even initialize. But, when I took it to a neighbors DVD player it had no problem with the dubbed copy. Finally I pulled my head out of my a-- and realized the Sylvania unit had a 4X limitation and rejected the 8X dubs. Then I did another burn on a 4X DVD media, and had no problems after that. No where in the documentation or avertisement literature did it ever state the Sylvania unit had a 4X limitation.

19. baabaa

baabaa Active member

@tavmus...............heehee, I knew we'd get there, glad to hear you sorted it.

Well it appears that it was down to either Nero or Samsung firmware update, anyways everything is singing once again..........Lovely....
    If you were to ask me what it was out of the 2, then I would plum for the Samsung update.

Forgot to add [bold]Welcome to Afterdawn[/bold]

@krusick
    Very interesting that is, because usually the read speed does not have any influence on whether it can read the disc, but in your case it seems it does.........one to remember I think as this could benefit others, thanks.

Also did you try to locate a firmware update for the Sylvania unit at all, as that may also cure it?

Last edited: May 6, 2005
  20. krusick

krusick Member

Hi: Yes, I got hold of the company and there is a fix for the >4X problem and will get the DVD next week that will install it. They admitted that Funai (who builds the unit) screwed up and put the limits of 4X on both read and write. It is supposed to read any DVD and only the Burn should be limited to the highest rate the unit can accommodate. A good test one can make if they are having problems with a unit other than the Burner is to put a blank 8X or 16X media in their player, and if the unit rejects the media, it needs a firmware upgrade. In this case, the player is probably a Funai derivative unit and the problem is rather prevalent thoughout their product line. Hope this helps someone