1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burnt disc with Nero, but it doesn't play

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by muffy3, Sep 19, 2003.

1. muffy3

muffy3 Member

I recently purchased a BenQ 4x4x12 DVD+RW that came with Nero 5.5(oem).I installed the burner as a master on the secondary. I tried burning a back-up copy of Knockaround Guys using Nero. I burnt it to the HD,then disc. When I try to play it back I only get the title then it stops.I tried on the PC and Sony DVP-NC600 player.I also purchased DVD X Copy Gold, but I can't use it because I don't have 10GB of free HD, only 5GB.I am new to burning DVD's and don't have a clue right now because I've read about a lot of different programs for burning. I have a Compaq 5736, P3 550mhz,Win XP, HP CD+RW installed as Master on primary, 15GB HD only 5GB free, 256MB Ram. Someone please help me and tell me what I am doing wrong. I have a little knowledge. Do I need a larger HD or newer comp. It's 3 yrs. old. Thanks in advance.

2. Discmania

Discmania Active member

A larger HD is essential if you plan on making backups of DVD's. However if the disc does not play check that all the files were ripped and then dragged into nero. It could be that the disc itself is crap so try changing the disc. Also make sure you upgrade to the latest version of Nero 5.5 which is 5.5.10.50. What ripping tool did you use for the original disc?

3. baabaa

baabaa Active member

As discmania stated - a larger hard drive is really required.

However, you could use Dvd Shrink - as this can process EVERYTHING from the disc - rip/strip/compress/re-author.

Your specs are slightly lower than mine, this will mean it may take 1hr-1hr1/2 to process the disc but should work well enough.

I forgot - visit http://www.chrismccann.co.uk for Dvd Shrink download (yes it is free aswell) and an excellent beginners guide. this should help you out......

BTW, again 5Gb is really hitting the limit to produce a backup (4.7Gb used max by a backup), either obtain a larger HD or try and free up maybe another 1Gb of your old one....

Hope this helps, any Q's - just post...Good luck._X_X_X_X_X_[small]Beware of the Pixies - they move in over night and turn your life upside down

[/small]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2003
  4. muffy3

muffy3 Member

I burnt the disc using Nero Express.I used "copy entire disc" option using the DVD burner as both the source and destination drive. It said the copy was successful.I didn't save the file.(I have used this method with my HP CD burner with success.)The write speed was 2.4 & it took about 25 minutes. I used a Kypermedia 2.4 disc. Are they any good? Which discs are good? I will probably get a new HD.
    Is DVD Shrink like DVD Copy Xpress or better? Which version of Shrink should a beginner like me use? You both gave me great input, THANKS, & I have a lot of reading to do now. BTW yesterday I had a pop-up at this site to download Nero6, so stupid me clicked on it. I now have a trojan that stole all of my AOL passwords & Virusscan 7.0 is not locating the virus, so I have to take care of that first.I'll let you know if I have success.

5. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Please excuse me, but it sounds like you are really new to dvd backups - forgive me if I am wrong.

DVD and CD make up are totally different especially when it comes to movie backups.

ALL commercial DVD's contain CSS, which is embedded encryption and prevents you from making a DIRECT copy....

The DVD has to be run through a DECSS (ripping) program first in order to remove the encryption. (for backing up originals that YOU own already only)

Once this has been done, then you can manipulate the files/strip out what you don't need and then re-author the file and finally burn to the dvd with a dvd burning software...

Here is a list of suitable proggys...

Ripping: Dvd Decrypter/Smartripper/Dvd Shrink - REMOVES ENCRYPTION

Processing: Dvd2one/Dvd Shrink/ifoedit - strips/compress/re-authors - WILL CREATE A FULLY COMPLIANT DVD FILE STRUCTURE

Burning: Nero/Recordnow - DVD BURNING SOFTWARE

ANY authored file structure NEEDS to be held in a folder named VIDEO_TS (in uppercase), ie the structure that is produced by Dvd2one or Dvd Shrink needs to be in the above folder....
    eg. (rootdrive):\VIDEO_TS

Have a browse through http://www.chrismccann.co.uk you will find loads of useful info there and links to trial/free downloads/guides etc.....

As for media, well thats the big pond - I myself use Ritek branded discs (dark purple dye) and have no issues with these in terms of coasters etc.....

What you need to do is, get some RW's and get your process correct first and makes sure you can get a movie backed up and working correctly, then look into the media issue if you have one....

My process:
    Dvd Decrypter - to rip
    Dvd2one - to strip/compress/re-author
    Recordnow Dx - to burn

This process takes me about 1hr - 1hr1/2 from start to finish....

I do use Dvd Shrink from time to time, when I want to have a play, but generally the above is only required.
    I use Dvd Shrink 2.3, which is relatively straight forward to use, but the beta version3 is out and also a guide at the above url...

Hope this helps...._X_X_X_X_X_[small]Beware of the Pixies - they move in over night and turn your life upside down

[/small]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2003
  6. muffy3

muffy3 Member

No appology needed. Your assumption is correct.I am clueless. The only thing I have been burning are coasters for drinks. I went to the link you gave me last night and it was very helpful. I still need to read more. Stupid me never even thought to practice on RW's, I just keep throwing out the R's. Thanks again for your help. I don't know anyone who has a DVD burner.

7. baabaa

baabaa Active member

No worries, I hope I managed to shed a little light on the 'ripping' scenario.....

If you have a burning software - looks like you have Nero, then ALL you will need:

Dvd Decrypter or smartripper then Dvd Shrink or just use Dvd Shrink for the lot except burning.

The main point you need to grasp is that there is only ONE folder to burn to a dvd and it is called VIDEO_TS (in uppercase), this needs to contain IFO,BUP and VOB files.

The IFO is the information file - chapter info, times, locations etc.

The BUP is basically a backup of the IFO (but is required).

The VOB is the main stream which contains the audio/video and subtitles (usually in 1Gb chunks).

ALL are required and are produced by Dvd Shrink.

That guide and stuff should give you enough info to delve into, but if you have any Q's - just post.....

8. mmoore

mmoore Member

sorry had to say i use dvd shrink 2.3 and nero express and that is all it takes to backup movie

it removes protection ... encypts ..decodes and remaps if needed ..and compression and it is free ..

msn messenger

giovanni40220@msn.com

9. muffy3

muffy3 Member

I finally got my computer back up & running.Now I have 10.9 GB of HD space.I hope that's good enough. I'm going to try to burn a disc today using Shrink 3.o beta 5 and Nero. I have Nero 5.5.10.26, will this work? I wanted to update it to 5.5.10.50, but the link you gave me brings me to 6.0.0.15, and I have read negative reviews about this version. The same with link for Shrink, I could only get 3.0. One more Q, is the program DVD X Copy Gold that I purchased any good? Will it do the same thing as these other programs? Will it rip/strip/compress/re-author& burn?
    Thanks again,
    Donna

10. baabaa

baabaa Active member

The HD space you have is probably OK, if you use dvd shrink that'll be fine.

However if you are processing a full disc with dvd decrypter, you may have trouble but it will be borderline.....

Go with dvd shrink and you'll be OK.

The Nero version you have should be OK, the guide for nero at the link I gave you, I wrote it just using version 5 so, you can follow that guide and you should get a nice result.

If you do have any problems, you could try recordnow - there is a link there to get the free trial download - it lasts for 30 days but it is a FULL version - and you WILL get results from that one.

As for DVD Xcopy, I have no experience with this but I believe it will give you what you need.

Have a look at (just click on this link) http://dvdxcopy.afterdawn.com this is the forum for dvdxcopy stuff and you will probably find all you need to know here...

Hope this helps, good luck and let us know how you get on........Baaaaa!

11. muffy3

muffy3 Member

Off to a bad start. I was using Shrink 3.0 following the guide. I thought I screwed up so I wanted to go back to check. That was my first mistake when I closed the program without finishing. I started the process again, but this time it didn't start to analyse automatically, so I hit the analysis button. That took 45 min. I made it as far as trying getting rid of the credits, but the START/END button wouldn't work. I decided to try another movie.This time I got up to BACKUP, but I couldn't because I got a message stating "The folder already contains dvd files" & shrink can't delete them. I can't find them on the HD either. I'm ready to give up.Can you help me again?

12. whompus

whompus Active member

as cheep as hard drives are now you could use a larger one. I think 5 gig free is low for backup. You mentioned that you purchased xcopy gold. You should be able to use the xpress part of it with 5 gig free. Give it a try as it will do the compression as it goes so less space needed. Only 5 gig is getting kinda close though cause your page file will get larger as you copy the disk.

13. muffy3

muffy3 Member

I now have 10 GB free. I wanted to install a larger HD, but when I called Compaq he said the bios in my system will only handle 20 GB. That's my problem. Is there anyway to change the bios so my system could handle a larger HD? 321 Studios says I need 10 GB to run the program.
    I also did a search to locate the VIDEO_TS file to delete it, but I couldn't find it. I also deleted Shrink and then reinstalled it but it still said the folder contains DVD files and I can't delete them. Any input is greatly appreciated.

14. tomreid

tomreid Member

The advice given thus far is very good advice (Shrink 3.0 plus Nero or Pinnacle Instant Copy). Nero 6 will burn these at 4x whereas all others will burn at 2x. Those Kypermedia discs you're using will burn at 1x and they were not reliable for me. At least 25% of mine are coasters. I use the 1-4x store brand discs from Frys Electronics. Flawless and fast!

15. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

@ tomreid - try a few riteks and see how u get on

16. tomreid

tomreid Member

I'm buying the 1-4x at Frys for $1.50 - Nero 6 will burn them in about 15-20 minutes at 4x (Pioneer). I've burned over 50 with no problems; can't see a reason for Ritek, but thanks for the advice anyway. By the way, you add a lot of good stuff to this forum!

17. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Thanks for kind comments :D

18. muffy3

muffy3 Member

Can someone please tell me how to empty the VIDEO_TS file in Shrink 3.0? I can't find the folder on my computer. I looked at the links you sent me (great guides), but I can't find the info. Thanks.

19. tomreid

tomreid Member

When Shrink 3 backs-up a DVD, it asks you where on the hard drive to back-up. Then it does it to that location. Then you burn it from that same location. If you forget where that location is, using Shrink back-up a second DVD. It will go to exactly the same location on the hard drive. This time pay attention to where it's going then cancel the back-up operation, go to that location and delete all the files. If, however, you're really going to back-up a 2nd DVD, Shrink will see those files and offer to delete them so you can use the directory for the new files.

20. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Thats spot on. Try searching for folders also!