1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burnt DVD gets choppy in last 15mins

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by indyjones, Jan 30, 2005.

1. indyjones

indyjones Member

I've just started burning dvds using dvd shrink on an LG 4163 drive using Ritek G04 (4x) media. On all the dvds i've burnt so far, during playback they get choppy in the last 10 or 15 mins, lots of artefacts appearing on screen and buzzing sounds. They seem to get progressively worse as the end of the film approaches. I've used deep scan when backing up the dvd's and i back them up to an iso image before burning with dvd decrypter.

Could this be dodgy media? has anyone else had any experience of this?

Cheers
    Ian

2. zippyd

zippyd Regular member

You may need to go into the preferences for Shrink and reduce your target size a bit to get away from the edge of the disc. I would think you would be safe with 4400MB with your Riteks, but you can always keep going down if needed.

3. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

To add to what zippyd said, if you run a crc read error check on that media, you will probably find lots of read errors near the end. Yes, that's "dodgy media."

Those Ritek G04 (4x) media wouldn't happen to be Maxell DVD-R "Yellowtop's" would they? Because I bought a batch of those, and that's exactly what I've seen on some of my burns; lot's of crc read errors near the end. I have yet to get a decent burn out of the lot. I'm pretty disappointed in them, and yet others here praise them. Go figure.

4. cougar_ii

cougar_ii Regular member

Hi there,

I use Ridata and I set my DVDShrink to 4300 (Custom Size).

Lots of people say use 4400 but I've seen a few posts with 4300.

There's almost no difference from 4400 to 4300 and the movie still looks great.

Just keep away from the edge, so I was told, regarless of the media !!

5. indyjones

indyjones Member

thanks for all the replies, the media is actually Ridata with the all white inject printable topside. I'd heard that the Ritek G04 stuff was top quality but perhaps this is not the case, or maybe i've been unlucky with a duff batch. Unfortunately I bought a pack of 50 of them, DOH! I'll try reducing the target size as has been mentioned.

Cheers

Ian

Last edited: Jan 31, 2005
  6. trotter45

trotter45 Member

I have had the same problem. I thought it was my dvd player because I could take the same disk and play it in a dvd player I just bought for $27.00 from Rex Audio and it has no problem playing it it never freezes. I have done this with several movies that I have copied and the same result happens plays good on one player and freezes on the other. The DVD [layer that it freezes on was bought about 2 or 3 years ago for $249?:-( So I might just buy another $27 DVD player and use it instead both are progressive scan players

7. indyjones

indyjones Member

is there some software I can use to check a dvd for crc errors?

cheers

Ian

8. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Last edited: Jan 31, 2005
  9. heybilly

heybilly Regular member

Burning slower may also help you since cd/dvd start getting burnt at a slow speed then by the time they get to the end there at the full speed u selected.

10. trotter45

trotter45 Member

I have tried at the slow speed same results.

11. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

One other thing...

When I changed burners my new one didn't like two of the media's that I used previously with 100% success. The results were similar to what you mentioned.

I went online to find the preferred media for my burner and it's been fine. Have you tried to see what your preferred media is for your burner?

12. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i tried the 4300mb setting, but on my bad batch of bulkpaq orange - still lots of skipping/freezing. the same even after setting to 4000mb. have now moved to verbatims, not one problem, tho have stayed at 4000mb just in case.

rich