1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burnt DVD playback probs

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by nellygirl, Jan 27, 2005.

1. nellygirl

nellygirl Member

Hi all. I am a newbie who has burnt quite a few DVD-R successfully, however, lately new DVD's I am backing up Shrink ok and encode ok, but after Decrypter burns them to DVD-R I put them into my DVD player which supports this format and they play the first few chapters perfect, then it starts freezing and pausing throughout the DVD, continues on playing ok, then pauses again and the timer actually pauses on the DVD player itself and jumps 3 to 4 seconds after freezing. I have burnt at 2x and 4x and the TDK dvd's I use are 8x. I have a Compaq Presario laptop Pentium 4, 40gig HDD, 512m RAM and using an Internal LITEON 8x DVD writer connected as an external unit via a USB cable. What can cause this pausing/skipping when playing back. What am I doing wrong? I tried compressing the extras which took up a lot of space on some DVD's, this helped it to playback better , but still not 100%. any hints?

2. Egypt322

Egypt322 Guest

I had same problem, so I started using a different software to burn. It does it all in one click. My problem is my dvd player (the one on my tv) keeps saying disk error now. Why is it doing this? I use Maxell dvd-r 4x

3. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

Although there are a number of things that could cause this problem, the most likely is the media. Even blanks within the same cakebox can vary in quality. Try a different brand or switch to RW disks until you identify the problem for sure.

4. squizzle

squizzle Active member

Media compatibility with your DVD player is most likely the problem. Try a different DVD player. Maybe your lens is dirty. Are the backups you made that worked fine before still working fine?

5. Egypt322

Egypt322 Guest

Thanks Laddyboy. Its great to have a forum where you don't have to wait months to get a reply at. I will try other named media.

6. nellygirl

nellygirl Member

Thanks for the reply. The weird thing is that on the same media , some work but some don't. I'll try different media for sure and see how I go. One other question, does the speed you burn at whether it be 2x, 4x etc impact the dvd player you play it back on.
    Do DVD players recognise the speed at which you burnt the movie, could this cause the problem do you think? One last thing, what is the very minimum percentage that SHRINK can have the compression at for it to burn ok. I always aim for the main movie to have compression of 70% or higher. thanks you legends....

7. squizzle

squizzle Active member

70% is good, I figure if Shrink can compress it enough, I'll do it. I have done down to 50% with damn near no comparable differences with the original. I take out foreign languages, those eat up a lot of space, and compress with increased error compensation set at Max Smooth. Takes forever but comes out great.

As far as burning speed, I burn at 4x on my Ritek G04 DVD-R's with no problems, but if you have cheap media, some of it will give you better results at lower speeds. I don't think that has much to do with the DVD player though.

8. delafoo

delafoo Guest

What software are you using to make backups? What software are you using to read/play your backups?

I've found, from my own experience, that many commercial media players and media burners purposely make it difficult to burn, and read bunt cd/dvds.

A good program, in my opinion, that I use to play hard to play media formats is WinDVD by Intervideo. It plays many encrypted DVDs AND CDs that Real One, Windows Media Player, and Roxio's media play wouldn't.

It also plays the Backups of my backups, or the burnt TDF files that the other programs wont.

I also have yet to have problems burning with DVDX. Its expensive if you buy it, but, I bought a copy from e-bay, 'backed it up' and resold it for a 20 dollar profit.

9. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I agree that media is probably the most likely culprit, but some other things to check/do are: defrag your hdd, run a spyware/adware removal app, shut down anti-virus app, and shut down screen saver prior to any rip/burns.

10. nellygirl

nellygirl Member

Hi all - just to let you know that I am burning onto blank DVD's which I bought from TARGET called BASE. I am in Australia and TARGET is like KMART etc. They were around $1.50 each. BUT, I decided I would go and buy TDK blanks DVD-R, reduced the burn speed to 2x and the output is excellent. Just to test the boundaries I burnt another TDK DVD-R at 4x with the same new release movie and it skipped / jumped on playback, so I am staying at 2x for now. My DVD players are an older ONIX AD-1500 which plays anything even though it cost me a dollar when I signed up for my mobile phone contract ( ha ha ), where as my brand new LG combo unit is very picky, but it will play the TDK DVD-R burnt at 2x crystal clear. I also set DVD SHRINK to the 3400 capacity and use DECrypter to burn. I bought the DVD-R TDK's from Dick Smith ( electronics shop, very reputable, dunno if you have them over there, I am in Australia) , so they are the real deal. But get this, for 50 DVD's on a spindle I paid only $35.00 Australian. so, pretty good deal I reckon. I hope I have answered all the questions and thanks for answering all my questions, your suggestions have worked for me. it is just trial and error I guess. thanks all