1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burnt dvd+r's using DVD Shrink and B's Recorder Gold wont play

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by bjd123, May 17, 2004.

1. bjd123

bjd123 Member

I have recently purchased a Ricoh DVD burner that burns only DVD+r disks. I have been trying to back up my movies with DVD Shrink and B's Recorder Gold (software that came with burner)and the DVD's wont play in my DVD player.

I realise that the DVD player must be DVD+r compatable and I have tried the disks on 3 such players but disks wont play. I have managed to play the disks on one DVD player but this is not my player and they are not made anymore.

I have tried 4 brands of DVD+rs and none work on my players but all work on my friends player that I mentioned.

Also, to confuse me even more, if the DVD is small and doesn't need to be compressed using DVD shrink the burnt DVD's will play on all my players which makes me think its not the players or the disks.

Please help, I have tried absolutely everything I can think of but to no avail.

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Hi bjd123, first things first forget about B's Recorder Gold. Go get DVDDecrypter
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_decrypter.cfm

1) open shrink, then open disc
    2) click "backup!)
    3) change target destination to "ISO Image File"
    4) check the box to Launch DVD Decrypter
    5) click ok

Under the backup options tab, you can check "perform deep analysis". Some say this improves picture quality, but does make the process longer. Also close any other programs running. Only Shrink and Decrypter. Hope this works for you.

3. Braxas

Braxas Member

You might want to check Ricoh's site for updated firmware for the burner and also look into to see if your drive supports a Booktype setting to change DVD+R to DVD-Rom. The DVD-Rom Booktype setting tricks the player to make it think that the burnt disc is a pressed DVD-Rom like you'd buy at the store instead of a DVD+R. It really does increase compatibility for DVD+R discs by leaps and bounds.

Obviously, follow the advice flip218 suggested as well since the could potentially work as well. :)

4. squizluke

squizluke Regular member

Hi, I also have a ricoh dvd burner and b's recorder gold. I had the same problem. I fixed it by uninstalling my burner and reinstalling it and reinstalling b's. I have'nt had a problem since. Also i think these things just happen from time to time but they shouldn't happen continuously.