1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burnt DVD using shrink/decrypter having problems

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by annni69, Oct 5, 2004.

1. annni69

annni69 Guest

Hello, I'm using shrink/decrypter for my burn needs with DVD. The burn copy seems to start out great when i play back on my dvd player however, about the middle of the movie, i get these small square color blocks and then the movie pauses and then it continues until the end of the movie. I've think I have followed the right course when burning but maybe i'm not...Is this the encryption within the movie? How can I fix this problem? Disney movies seem to do this and my Raiders of the lost ark movies so far...I'm using TDK media so I don't understand the problem..I'm fairly new to the burning world so my understanding of this software (shrink/decrypter) is limited. I'm learning as I go. Please let me know if anyone else has/had this problem and what I can do to fix this. Thanks much.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

3. annni69

annni69 Guest

Hello,

I'm using a Optorite DVDRW DD0405 (FW140E). The media is TDK -RICOHJPN. I'm still learning everything, I know this is a stupid ?, but firmware???

Thanks, hope this answers your question.

4. Nephilim

You listed the firmware - (FW140E) ;)

Firmware is a set of instructions for media recognition and burn strategy that's written to a chip in the burner. The drive makers are constantly improving their firmwares so if you run into problems one of the first things to look at is whether your firmware is up to date.

The firmware on your drive is two revisions behind so updating your might take care of the poor burns you're experiencing.

Here's a link to Optorite's firmware page where you can download the latest for your drive - 160E. Be sure to follow all the instructions very carefully. It's not hard but if you do it wrong you can kill your drive.

http://www.optorite.com/_english/web/2_service/2_firmwares.php

5. annni69

annni69 Guest

Thank you very much. I went to this link and I downloaded the lastest firmware. It was very easy. I will check it tomorrow since it is 11:00 pm in california. I will let you know how everything works.

I was looking at your other suggestions to other members and you're very smart and helpful. Thank you for being here for us.

annni69

6. Nephilim

Geez, you're going to make me blush :p

Let us know how it goes :)

7. annni69

annni69 Guest

Well, sorry to make you blush...Ha Ha. I just finished burning Mary Poppins, (I was having problems with this one.) I'm going to play it in my regular DVD player and watch it on my TV. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks,
    annni69

8. annni69

annni69 Guest

sorry for the delayed response...my burns worked out great. However, I don't know if this caused this problem, but my computer crashed. 1 week after firmware update. I can't even start in safe mode or start in dos. I don't know what happened????? I have to take my computer to have it checked out. Any ideas???? I have XP, everything was working great. I shut down and when I woke up the next day and turned my computer on it says " sorry windows did not start successfull" you can start in safe mode or go back to a time when it was working ect... I know how, but I can't do any of this! like I said, I can't even start in dos.I tried to do a repair with the xp disc and with our raid floppy disc....but nothing worked. ???????

any suggestions

Thanks

9. Nephilim

If it crashed a week after the firmware update I'd be inclined to say it's something else with your system causing the problems. PC troubleshooting isn't exactly my strong point so I'm at a loss to tell you what to look at specifically :(

10. annni69

annni69 Guest

Hello, it's me again. Fry's says my hard drive went bad. but I do have a questions about the optorite firmware update, do you have to update you Bios after you update the firmware? I feel totally scared to even go near the Bios. I don't even know what to update?? When do you have to update Bios???

Thanks

11. Nephilim

You shouldn't have to touch the BIOS to update your firmware unless there are specific instructions in the readme for the firmware update that says to do so.

12. annni69

annni69 Guest

Hey....can you get a virus from instant messaging just by typing or do you have to open a file from instant messaging to get a possible virus..I'm wondering if that had anything to do with the fried hard drive..

Thanks for all the other answers.

13. Nephilim

I don't think you can get a virus just by typing but that doesn't mean it isn't possible.