1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

burnt dvd's only play on computer..WHY?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by h20dawg, Nov 16, 2004.

1. h20dawg

h20dawg Member

I burned some movies (Backup) of mine. They burned fine using "DVD Pro" ripper. I tried them on my Xbox and my Hitachi DVD player and neither will read them. Computer plays them like a champ. Is there a secret to get these burned correctly? My burner is a I/O Magic and I am using TDK -r disks. Any help would be appreciated. I searched prior posts, but didn't see anything with this kind of topic.
    Also Ive burned MP3's and CD's with no issues what soever. Thanks

2. mrdoherty

mrdoherty Guest

Cool im having exactly the same prob im all new to this im using nero 6 i put my orignal dvd in and go to copy disc it will play on my pc but not on anything else plz hlp

3. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hello h20dawg, A lot of people have compatability problems with good burns and not playing on other players and stand alones. My step son has a sony playstation2.some of my backups will play in his and some won't. I have been burning verbatim +r's. I have two types.1 spindle each of 4x, and 8x. He has no trouble playing the 8x's, but the 4x,s will not play. I only burn at 4x. You may want to play around with different media and burn rates. Always use high quality media. Most prefer riteck ridata and verbatim. Maxell is also pretty good. Stay away from memorex and store brand media. I hope this may help you out.

4. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

5. h20dawg

h20dawg Member

Thanks for the help. I will try a couple different brands this weekend and let you know which worked. Thanks again!!

6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

hey h20dawg and mrdoherty, I was telling you about my verbatims + in 4x and 8x. I couldn't get either backup copies to work in my apex. I went to copy both copies onto 1 disc for my cousin so I burned both movies on the verbatim + 4x using my cyberhome stand alone dvd recorder on the tv. Guess what? This disc will play in my apex now. Pretty strange. Must be something a little different between both burners. Both burners recorded at 4x and re-recorded at 4x. I just wanted you let you guys know. I am going to try to pick up some different media to to keep playing around. Have a good day

7. mrdoherty

mrdoherty Guest

h20dawg ive found a way of getting mine to play on all dvd players

firstly im using nero6 to burn the dvds wht i have to do is decrpt the dvd first using dvd decyrpter then i add the files to nero using the choice "make new video" it rearanges the files so they play in corect order so dont worry about putting them in right i dont no wht discs i use thoe i get like 100 for £20.00 but they seem to be ok when its completed it will play on my ps2 and my alba dvd player so far i have copied 5 up to now and have not had a problem so hope this hlps also ty to evreyone who offered advice much appreciated :)

8. h20dawg

h20dawg Member

Mrdoherty, thanks for the info. I just bought some verbatim 8x +r's and will try to burn some DVD's Ill keep you posted. I was told this is good media and should work. If not, Ill try your nero program. I currently use DVD Wizardpro and its supposed to decrypt and rewrite the files automatically. Anyhow, thanks to everyones input!

9. LeoLeroy

LeoLeroy Member

Saugmon, I've been doing a lot of searching and came across your post about the CyberHome stand-alone recorder.

I have a CyberHome stand-alone recorder and I'm looking to software to edit my DVDs on my computer made by the CyberHome unit. As you know, CyberHome recorders only make DVD+R(RW) DVDs.

The ones I want to copy and edit on my computer are all from home videos, and not commercial DVDs. They have both audio and video.

BTW, these DVDs will play on all my stuff, from stand alone-player to compter DVD burner/reader. However, I haven't found any software to edit these DVDs yet. Here's the folders and files I have on one of my DVDs:

<Folder> AUDIO_TS

This folder is empty.

<Folder> VIDEO_RM
    <file> SONATA.IFO
    <file> SONATA_DEBUG.IFO
    <file> VIDEO_RM.BUP
    <file> VIDEO_RM.DAT
    <file> VIDEO_RM.IFO

<Folder> VIDEO_TS
    <file> VIDEO_TS.BUP
    <file> VIDEO_TS.IFO
    <file> VIDEO_TS.VOB
    <file> VTS_01_0.BUP
    <file> VTS_01_0.IFO
    <file> VTS_01_1.VOB
    <file> VTS_01_2.VOB
    <file> VTS_01_3.VOB
    <file> VTS_01_4.VOB
    <file> VTS_01_5.VOB

10. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hello h20dawk, the verbatim +8x are by far the best + format blank media I have found. Mine code out at mcc-003. Hello mrdowherty,On burning from my cyberhome stand alone recorderto my pc. Sunday I tried that because my brother wanted me to burn "3" on espn. Now he wants 4 copies of this movie. I tried on pc, It played through winddvd6.It didn't work so I will do it on stand alone later this week.Also wanted to tell you on my dreaded apex standalone, I got a new benq dualformat,dual layer burner for $40.00 after rebate. That Apex will play everything burned on the benq,both + and -. Turned out I had a weak burner. Later

11. xxpc210

xxpc210 Guest

K, they are not the same codec. Now don't go around getting codec packs all you have to do is find a converter that will burn for you a recomended converter is DVD Santa

12. Montecore

Montecore Member

h20dawg....First you need to determine what type of I/O Magic burner you have....I/O Magic only markets DVD burners. If you have a 16x burner it will either be a BTC or BENQ 1620. Hopefully you have a BENQ 1620 that has been updated to the latest firmware B79P. Once you flash your burner you will have a BENQ 1620Pro...whihc increases the DL from 2.4x to 4x. BENQ 1620 is one of the top 16x DVD burners. Which burner do you have? Every burner seems to prefer some media over others and this one is no exception. It is important to use media that has been approved for your burner if at all possible.

I will focus this discussion around the BENQ 1620. This burner handles + media better than - media. Make sure you have the bitsetting set to DVD-ROM. So any burns that you make will be DVD-ROM quality. This is decrease the chance of it not playing in a home DVD player.

I have done a tremendous amount of research on the subject since I will also have an I/O Magic (BENQ 1620) soon.