1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burnt PS3 Movies?

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by Dan_Sven, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Dan_Sven

Dan_Sven Member

Is it possible to burn a blue ray file, e.g. .MKV to a blank blue ray disk to play on a Ps3 which is not modded in anyway?

If So what sort of software can be used to do this, just standard blueray burning software i got with my burner?

Thanks

Dan

Last edited: Jan 15, 2008
  2. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

.MKV isnt a standard bluray format - it is an audio/video container format - usually with a file in x264 format inside it. I dont think Ive yet actually seen a bluray disc image (like a cd/dvd iso) that would be burnable to a blank disc and possibly played on a PS3 (although unlikely as I dont think the PS3 will play non original discs yet).

These files are not playable on a PS3 at all - youd need to convert them either to a .vob using something like mkv2vob (fairly quick but limited playback tools, ie no fast forward) or to an mp4 using something like PS3 Video 9 (quite slow to convert but perfectly supported by the PS3).

If your happy to leave your computer on converting when you go to work/sleep then id recommend PS3 Video 9. I normally convert my .mkvs to .mp4 using a 720p setting - yes it takes timebut as Im normally at work it doesnt bother me. Ive so far done Transformers (720p mkv to 720p mp4) andit looked amazing on my TV. Ive also done The Matrix (1080p mkv to 720p mp4) didnt look as good as Transformers, Im assuming because of the decrease in size, and finally Ive dont FF4 - Silver surfer (720p mkv to 720p mp4) but havent had a chance to watch it.

If however you want a quicker way to get them playable on your PS3 then using mkv2vob works and you get basically no picture quality loss, but you cant pause or fast forward so be prepared to sit through the film from start to finish. (with PS3 video 9 you can pause and fast forward upto 120x speed).

Last edited: Jan 15, 2008
  3. Dan_Sven

Dan_Sven Member

Thanks for your input, do you play them directly off your hard drive then?

4. canuckerz

canuckerz Regular member

The PS3 dosent natively support .MKV files atm, unless you decided to stream them.

5. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

I usually stick them on a USB stick as the biggest one Ive had has only been 3.2gig.