1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Busted DVD-Drive?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by h1p1n3, Jan 13, 2008.

1. h1p1n3

h1p1n3 Member

Ok, well I posted a thread yesterday stating that the motor went bad on my DVD-Drive (doesnt spin the disc) and was wondering if the HD-DVD drive played games (well it doesnt, and I didnt get that part of the message in time until after it was purchased)

Anyway, can I just go on ebay and nab a DVD-Drive for the 360? do I have to do anything special?

I have modded the drive before, so if it is still possible I would be more than happy if someone could float me the lowdown.

Thank you!

2. h1p1n3

h1p1n3 Member

Well, ok I did more research and scratched the surface a little bit. I read about the firmware stuff and whatnot. THANK BABY JEBUS that I modded the drive in the past.

So, because I just have a motor problem, I could just grab a hitatchi drive online and throw the my old board on there and call it good?

Now, the last question, I could just grab any old 360 hitachi drive right? As far as I know there was one model number? Yes, the version may be different but that shouldnt effect the swapping of the boards...

3. NewBart

NewBart Guest

hey dude, I'm far from the one to ask, but I think you can buy the Hitachi, but you need like a "key" from 360 drive or something for it to work. I remember reading about it on here, check a couple of the older threads and you'll see info on it.

4. 360OwNeR

360OwNeR Member

the 360 has a key that needs to be matched with the drive before they work correctly together.

as long as u have your orig.bin you will be ok

5. NewBart

NewBart Guest

360 is a wiz

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2008
  6. bagofcrap

bagofcrap Member

you dont read what he has written, yes as long as you buy the same model drive, simply swapping the board over from your broken one onto the new one will work.

your drive key is stored on the PCB board so simply swapping it over will bring your drive key to the new drive