1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

buying a new dvd drive, any suggestions?

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by juandeuce, May 27, 2004.

1. juandeuce

juandeuce Member

i was hoping to get some suggestions on what kind of drive to purchase, i am a budget, though. thanks.

2. Denzien

Denzien Regular member

Hmm.

Well, I would suggest the new Sony DRU-700A, that writes all formats, including the new Double Layer format.

BUT, it costs $199.99 USD (I got mine for $150 with a Best Buy Rebate.) But I am not sure how long that Rebate Deal lasts.

If you're happy with just Single Layer and Shrinking DVDs, then you can get a Burner for around $100. I think Memorex has a good Burner that can compete with Plextor's. It comes with Nero 6 too.

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

If on a budget, you can do no better than the Pioneer 107D/A07 or the Lite On 851S.

With all due respect - not even :) There's Plextor/Pioneer and then there's the rest.

The dual layer burners are as yet untested, the media is going to be expensive especially mistakes since I'm not aware of rewritable DL media being released any time soon.

4. Denzien

Denzien Regular member

:)

I think CNET or Maximum PC did a comparison of the latest Memorex Burner sellign for around $110 retail and one of the Plextor Burners and Memorex gave better results.

If I can find it, I'll link it.

5. RedAnt

RedAnt Regular member

I would suggest a NEC 2500a ($76.99) or the Pioneer DVR-107 ($100.50)
    Both(Pricees are OEM)are excellent DVD burners and there price shouldn’t put too much strain on your budget. (Prices are from NEWEGG.COM)

6. brian100

brian100 Guest

I would go for the 107 personally..great burner & solid reader (important).

7. Nephilim

It must've been CNET, MaxPC hasn't found a burner they like better than the Plextor yet. I'm not trying to say that the Memorex is a bad drive (everything I've read on it seems quite favorable) but from what I've read it's not capable of burning quality 4X media at 8X which is a really nice feature. Then again, there may be firmware hacks to allow that :)

8. juandeuce

juandeuce Member

hey everyone....

thanks for your suggestions. I believe that pioneer 107 sounds good for the price. now i will try my hand at installing a dvd drive for the first time ever.

once again, thanks for the suggestions

9. Nephilim

I've since learned that some Memorex burners are made by Pioneer so I'm a big dummyhead for saying they weren't as good as a Pioneer if that's true!

10. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

I have heard this too however MAKE SURE .... MAKE SURE .... MAKE SURE oh and did I mention you should ... MAKE SURE??? LOL Memorex isnt exactly in what I would call my "good books" for various "reliability" reasons :p

11. stewart81

stewart81 Member

Go with the 107

12. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Dont forget ASUS and Litey burners :p

Not a dummyhead at all... the simple fact that it says "Memorex" and not "Pioneer" is enough to warrant suspicion given their past track record.

As for the NEC drives, not sure what model it is but a lot of people seem to have problems with it so make sure you look into it.