1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying a PSP

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by Knivez, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Knivez

Knivez Regular member

I know i am a noob with PSPs and i did attempt to read the ***The Motherload of PSP Guides*** before i began asking my questions, but before i even start researching on getting firmware on a psp i have to know something, that is can i go out right now and go to wallmart/zellers/sears (im canadian) etc. and buy a psp and will the custom firmwares(that lets me played downloaded psp and ps1 games) and home brew applications work on it? (if not, what do i do?) Can all new PsP's be downgraded (honestly i am not fully aware of what that means)? Finally a couple of people tell me there are high rates of the psp getting ruined if i downgrade, use custom firmware or home brew applications, is this true?

2. StDeath

StDeath Member

Custom firmwares are made by people who hack into shit. Therefore it doesn't come with custom FW. All PSPs that are version 3.03 or under can be downgraded. And not necessarily "high" rates from downgrading or custom firmwares, but yeah. It happens and can cause it to brick.

3. Knivez

Knivez Regular member

Thnx, so how would i know that my version is under 3.03 at the store? is it on the box? Can i just ask the clerk?

4. ggbarnum

ggbarnum Regular member

I don't anywhere selling PSP's higher than 3.03 yet, takes a while for new stock to be shippped out.

There is a guide somewhere about how to tell from the box though

5. yohex

yohex Guest

Just buy an unused entertainment pack, the psps that come out of those boxs should still be 2.6

6. Knivez

Knivez Regular member

Thnx alot for the replies guys. Im going to listen to what Yohex said and buy an entertainment pack. If it does turn out to be the new psp (with the new firmware) does anyone know how long it takes for the downgrades to appear?

7. Knivez

Knivez Regular member

BTW, yohex is the entertainment pack the one for 250$? and if its version 2.6 does it let me play home brew and dled games? Thnx

8. MikehMike

MikehMike Guest

if you were to be at 2.00 - 2.70 you would need to upgrade to 2.71 and downgrade. If you were at 2.80/2.81 I think there is a downgrader for that. Plus, there is a 3.03 downgrader if you are at 3.00-3.02.

I got the entertainment pack (good deal BTW) and it came with 2.71.