1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying a second hand ps2 (slim), good idea?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by abe786, Sep 25, 2007.

1. abe786

abe786 Member

Hi Guys,

I've always been a PC Gamer, but recently I came across a good deal for PS2 (Slim), the seller claims its in perfect working condition now and is fully modded(don't know which modchip is used as of now) to play *ahem* games... I've never had any experience with a console, so just wanted to know what can go wrong the deal.. I've been reading Unofficial PS2 Guide rev.1 for information, I have come across these points..

1. I suppose there are high chances of PS2 DVD drive can go kaput, but I'm sure it won't be problem as I can follow MasterChu's guide for using USB HDD for playing games, since i already got a usb hdd?

2. The console is about 2yrs old., I want to know except for the controllers, if ps2 starts developing problems with time.. i know you can't predict problems with electronic stuff, but just wanted to know, r there any widespread problems(like x360 rod, etc) with ps2 slim which occur with time...

3.The version is either v12 or v13 (model scph-70004 unsure if its CB or not), will be completely sure when i goto the seller's place, do these versions have any problems, playing game with usb hd or any problems, in general?

phew it has rather been a long post for a first post, but i expect users of this wonderful forum to answer them, any kind of help in this regard appreciated :)

Regards

Last edited: Sep 25, 2007
  2. HG27

HG27 Guest

1. You are correct in that the laser can die. Though the lasers on the slim are pretty cheap, you could just buy one and install it yourself. They run for about $30.

2.The only widespread problem I can think of is that on the earlier slim's (v12 and v13) the laser will die prematurely if a modchip is installed (because the laser will not get the correct amount of voltage, I believe). Though this can be fixed with another pcb (laser fix).

3. All versions of the slim are good and bad, you could say. This is because the newer slims (v14+) don't need the laser fix if a mod is installed, but they are not compatible with HDConnect. V12 and V13 are compatible with HDConnect but they need a laser fix installed if a mod is installed. HDConnect is a device that will return the hard drive to the ps2. Since V11 was the last of the big ps2's.
    You can check your ps2 version here

I believe I got all your questions. If not post back.

3. abe786

abe786 Member

^Thanks for the detailed reply, just one more thing...

Actually i'm from india, so not quite sure of availability of spare lasers or laser fix board...but anyways i can always run games from USB HDD, even if laser on the ps2's dvd has died, right?

Also is there any need of HDConnect, if i'm using a external USB HDD ?

4. lovnpeace

lovnpeace Member

you need a network adapter , usb hdd, max drive usb, hdloder programs.

5. HG27

HG27 Guest

Well in order to load games without the laser unit you would need a modchip that could boot directly from the hard drive, so yes.

The reason I only mentioned HD Connect is because loading from an external hard drive via USB can often be slower than loading even from the original game, so it is not really recommended.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2007
  6. abe786

abe786 Member

ok thanx for the help guys, i'll update the thread when I buy the ps2