1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying new drive

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Teelzy, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Teelzy

Teelzy Member

Hello all,
    I am currently looking for a drive that is good for burning xbox 360 backups. I recently purchased a lg gh22lp20 from Best Buy against my better judgment and have had very limited success. I will return the drive once I decide on a new one. I was wondering what a good drive to buy would be. I would like to spend Under $100 USD but if there are truly none in this price range I may go higher.

2. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Seems CDFreaks judgment is different than yours.

“LG GH22LP20 is a solid performer and an excellent choice for reliable CD and DVD burning at record speeds. It effortlessly produces quality burns faster than most other drives to date. We highly recommend it.”

http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/LG-GH22LP20-Super-Multi-DVD-Writer-Review/

Quality bulk burners are all about $25 these days.

I would assume your lack of success is due more to your technique and media choice.

3. Teelzy

Teelzy Member

Thank you for your input. I am not using very good media, I am using Memorex DVD+R discs that I got from a friend for free (who would turn down a free 50 pack) while I wait for my Verbatim discs to come. However, I do think that a 70-80% fail rate seems rather high, even with bad media. Either way, I would still like to know another good drive, especially if I can get my 50 bucks back and get a cheaper and better drive online.

4. sentence

sentence Member

What speed are you burning at? I always burn 360 games at 2.4x using Verbatim media.

5. varnull

varnull Guest

memosux disks are rubbish.. the only disks that are reliable in the long term are the verbs.. if you can find purple traxdata they are ok.. expect a 20% failure rate with them.. and to replace your laser within 12 months.

Best burner?.. We swear by the pioneer 112d and above.. my nec makes better burns but they don't read reliably.

6. Teelzy

Teelzy Member

@varnull--> Of the pioneer burners on the market, which have you had good experiences with (if any)? Also, who is "we"? I have read a lot of good reviews about the 112d but have not done very much research into any of their newer drives.

@any/all--> If you want to see more info on what I'm doing, look at this post http://forums.afterdawn.com/t.cfm/f-152/imgburn_i_o_error_with_log-783154/#4742340
    I posted some stuff there.
    I would like to hear from people as to which drive(s) they have dealt with and if they liked the results. I would appreciate only drives that are currently available, but if it is building a track record for newer drives, I can use all the help I can get so that I get a quality drive.

Thanks again, Teelzy