1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bypassing copyright on YouTube

Discussion in 'Audio' started by CSensible, May 15, 2012.

1. CSensible

CSensible Member

Can somebody recommend a ripper or a way to strip the mp3's of their digital copyright prints so I can make a slide show and upload it on YouTube?

I had made a slide show of me and my girlfriend and used a Jane's Addiction song in it and right away it was detected and within a few minutes it was taken down.

I read the rules and really hope this does not fall in the realm of piracy because I do own the CD's

Thanks

2. Mez

Mez Active member

I am sure it would be piracy and your question is not an audio question. You could try a screen print and edit the screen shots.

3. Mez

Mez Active member

I re-read you post. You are trying to remove copyright info from an mp3. You can try ripping the CD. That may or may not help. You-tube probably uses 'finger-print technology' to check for copyright infringement. See the top post/ sticky I posted info about that technology there.

However, purchasing the CD you only have rights to play the CD. The industry holds it is illegal to rip a CD but ripping a CD to play on your mp3 player should fall under the fair use clause. Putting a copy on the internet is clearly a violation. You would have to make a deal with who ever owns the copyright to play the tune on the internet legally. Even if you performed the music yourself you could still have copyright issues. The 'finger-print technology' would probably be duped because you would not sound the same as the released version.

4. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

They muted mine, odd all I can say is change the song.

Also fair use should allow such uses of IP but alas we live in a world were we have no rights anymore.

5. Mez

Mez Active member

Zippy there is one blood sucker that located descendents of famous person then tells them he will give them royalties if they use his service. Then he sues anyone using a picture or the name of the ancestor in behalf of the descendant.

6. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

Meh there is a reasonable way to parcel out IP. IP rights holders have these rights, the right to exclusively profit off the IP in their possession. Distribution and reproduction is a non issues unless someone is trying to make money then that distribution or reproduction needs to be licensed so the IP owner can use as they see fit or the project is sued out of existence.

Forcing a contract/license on the project should be the first and foremost method as if its making money the IP owner can as well make a profit off it even if its .00001 of a penny.

If it can not be contracted and dose not fall under base fair use "the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;
    the nature of the copyrighted work;
    the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole".

But at the end of the day if its not trying to make money it can do no harm....

7. Mez

Mez Active member

The only way the music industry has experimented with pricing is to see what happens when you raise the price. They did so with what they saw were 'hot' tunes. When they upped the price .25 the hot items when stone cold. They have never experimented with lowering the price by .25. All retailers do that on occasion in the form of sales just to see what happens. Well, all except the music industry. They do not want to sell at a fair price so they will suffer for their stupidity.

8. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

In my way of thinking you make listening simple and get 60% of the profit made off the sale, you would create so many people willing to sell legal goods the IP owners will stay in money for all eternity.

9. Mez

Mez Active member

But you are infinitely smarter than the industry. Even if they settled for 100% profit they would be making money hand over fist. They usually paid a flat rate of a few grand for complete rights of a tune in the 50s and before. They could sell them for 5 cents a tune and make a killing on those.