1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C&C Generals Autorun

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by Applecorp, Aug 19, 2003.

1. Applecorp

Applecorp Member

I have looked all over this forum and couldn't find an answer to my problem, so here goes.

I had no trouble backing up Generals, but when I insert disc 1 into my DVD/Cd-rom drive it fails to read the disc, in fact it keeps 'trying' to read it for ages without success.

Inserting the disc in my cd-rw drive works fine, it auto runs for installation, and installs with no problems.

So the main problem is it seems only my cd-rw drive will read the disc. My other PC doesn't have a cd-rw drive, only a cd-rom and that also will not read the disc. It just makes lots of noises and usually makes the PC lock up.

Is there a way to get a DVD/cd-rom drive to read the disc?

2. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Was the image of C&C Generals (cd 1) burned with a "2 sheep burner"? If it was then most likely the backup would play, if not then backup will play in cd burner and usually needing the aid og "hide cd-r\ignore media type"= emulation.

Shoey :)

3. Applecorp

Applecorp Member

Thanks shoey but it turns out that it is the cd-r discs that are causing this.

They are of the 900mb variety. First time I have used them. I bought some 'normal' 700mb discs and burned generals and it worked fine in my DVD-CD-rom drives.

Strange why these 900mb discs only work in my cd-rw drive!

4. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Be sure that your cd burner supports 900mb discs m8 as not all do. Check the users manual and also see if there is a firmware update for you cd burner. Glad to hear you got C&C Generals running! For backing up Safedisc 2.8-2.9x or running from a virtual stealth drive, you need an ATIP tool (hide cd-r\ignore media type\Safedisc emulation enabled) to play a backup in a DVD\CD burner. Play backups of Safedisc 2.8-2.9 in your DVD\CD-ROM (preferably), [bold] not your dvd\cd vurner [/bold]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2003
  5. Applecorp

Applecorp Member

I'm not sure I fully understand what you mean. My point was the 900mb disc copy worked fine as long as I used it in my cd-rw drive. Are you saying if my cd-rw drive fully supported this media the copy would work ok in my DVD/cd-rom drive?

6. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Not all drives support 90/99 minute media, specifically DVD drives. In general, since the 90/99 media was a CD-recordable odds are that ur burner will have a better chance of reading it. BTW, why did you have to use 900MB discs? Generals isnt that big hehe :)

7. Applecorp

Applecorp Member

I used 900mb discs because that's all I had, they were on sale, 25 discs half price (no wonder!!!) Still at least they work in my writer.

8. Praetor

Lucky lucky! :)

9. Shoey

Shoey Guest

As long as you use some type of ATIP tool (hide cd-r\ignore media type) m8. Backups of Safedisc 2.8-2.9 "generally" play in your dvd\cd-rom (no emulation help)

10. Applecorp

Applecorp Member

It now turns out that it wasnt nescessarily the discs (doh!) I had to do a format/install win XP after I discovered that I had drivers attempting to corrupt windows files.

I have now made backups with these 900mb discs since formatting/re-installing windows and they work fine in all my drives. Strange!!!

11. Praetor

That's a comforting thought hehe