1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C Drive Filling up while gaming.

Discussion in 'Windows - Games' started by chop2113, Oct 19, 2014.

1. chop2113

chop2113 Regular member

Hello all ,

Lately ive been having an issue while gaming. During a good session of gaming hour or more and not all the time but enough to be be a nuisance my games starts to stutter and drop frames. Then a message pops up and says hard disk full. I have 40gbs free on my c drive so thats not possible. i have 2 samsung ssd's 840 pros. One is partioned 100gbs for os, the rest as gaming space. All my games are installed on the other ssd. For the life of me i cant seem to find out why this is happening. it almost seems like while im gaming the system might be saving or using the c drive for some sort of storage or something cause as soon as i get out of the game my hard drive is back to having 40gbs free again.

Thank you

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

what are the capacity of the drives as the net says from 128gig to 512gig? why do you have a ssd drive as a data drive?

3. chop2113

chop2113 Regular member

This rigg is my hot rod so to speak its my gaming machine. I have 2 256gb ssd drives. one is partitioned 100gb for os and the rest in case the other 256 fills up with games i still have another 138gb. Thats all this pc has no other hard drives. If there is a performance gain or not as to using ssd as data drive for games i dont know for sure. But the prices have gone down on ssd's so loaded it up with 2 samsung 256gb 840 pros. I dont run them in raid also.

4. ddp

is that 40gigs free after all your programs plus windows installed because if so then there is the problem as windows is using that drive for temporary storage. that is why you are getting that full drive message. i have 2 sata mechanical drives in my system, 250gig for windows & a 500gig for data.

5. chop2113

chop2113 Regular member

Out of the 100gb OS Partition i have Exactly 41.4 gb Free. Here is a pic of all programs installed on the OS Partition minus the games ,Battlefield 4, Dead Space, Dragon Age Origins, World of Warcraft Beta, All those are on a seperate drive.

Attached Files:

6. ddp

go into safemode to see how much is free.

7. chop2113

chop2113 Regular member

same amount shows up in safe mode 41.4gb.

8. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

use treesize free portable on C or whatever drive is filling up,take a snapshot of results after scan is finished,then play the game for a time then after finished playing do a rescan you should now see what folder is filling up,it would pay to temporarily unhide hidden files & folders,that's about the only thing i can think of doing apart from games saves tasking up space

9. ddp

are all games doing it or just certain ones?

10. chop2113

chop2113 Regular member

Yes all games after a good gaming session hour or more it will start

I will give that a try. Good excuse to give the misses for another gaming session. Its For Science!!! lol

11. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

i know with battlefield play4free it puts a file on before connecting to servers with stuff like shader info and other stuff to run the game (its in battlefield cache).
    im assuming games are putting temp files to run the games then removed when game is exitted.

12. chop2113

chop2113 Regular member

Ok. So after looking at my system with treesize. I saw a large file for hibernation. I use Samsung ssd magician software and had it set for performance. So I set it for maximum storage. And now I have something like 65gigs free. And since moving that setting the issue has not occurred again. So it was the the performance setting on samsungs software that was causing the issue.

13. ddp

will still have same problem eventually as all you did was free up 25gigs, you need more room.