1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C: runs out of space and doesnt autmotically start writing to D:

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by nopity, Jul 8, 2016.

1. nopity

nopity Member

I have 32 gigs of updates for visual studio to install and Ive ran out of space on C:
    There is over 200 gigs of free space on D: but windows doesnt automatically start writing to it. I assume I have to also give windows permissions to write in some updates there... where does that begin. When does windows start writing to D:?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

never til you install whatever program you want to install on the d:\drive instead of the default c:\drive.

3. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

If D partition is after C & assuming D isn't a recovery partition (can always make an image of it) then delete D & extend C to take up the now newly created free space.You can use an external or two for data including storing any data that was on D

or give C an extra 100gb & use D as a 100gb data partition

It is possible to extend C to take up X amount of D space if required without removing data from D however it can take a while to do,which is why i recommended the above procedure as it's safer as well

tongs007 likes this.