1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cable Internet + Linksys Router = Slow Bittorrent Speeds

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by Jeubanks, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Jeubanks

Jeubanks Member

Allright, I have cable internet and a router, and my download speeds suck. I have set up port-forwarding, and still the speeds are slow. Furthermore, when bittorrent is runing, my internet browsing slows almost to a stand-still.

I have set an upload speed limit of 20 kb/s and it seems to help, but I do not understand why I must set it so low. I have checked my D/L and U/L speeds multiple times and I have a 3000 kb/s D/L and a 256 kb/s U/L according to broadbandreports.com. Why is it that my connection cannot perform to its full potential?

FYI: I have-
    -Linksys WRT54G Router w/ port forwarding set-up and the lastest firmware
    -Azureus (latest version + latest java)

2. Jeubanks

Jeubanks Member

I also use Comcast High Speed Cable internet.

3. Taintedl

Taintedl Member

I need your help in configuring Azereus:

I have a cable 640kbps/128Kbps connection and also have Java and Azureus installed with the following conf:
    Incoming TCP listen port = 55301
    Max global upload speed=5KB/s
    Max global download speed=unlimited
    Max upload slots per torrent=5
    Max connections per torrent=50
    Max connections globally=500
    UDP tracker client protocol NOT ENABLE
    UPnP NOT ENABLE
    Autospeed ENABLE
    Tracker on HTTP port NOT ENABLE
    Tracker on HTTPS port NOT ENABLE
    Max simultaneous downloads=2
    Max active torrents=3

On my Linksys Wireless B Broadband Router BEFW11S4 v4, I forwarded the port 55301 TCP to Internal IP address 192.168.1.72 (The IP of the Intel Pro/100 VE Network Adapter connected to the router)

My Windows XPsp2 Firewall is ON, with the following exceptions:
    Azureus.exe
    Javaw.exe
    Azureus TCP port 55301

With this configurations I can get 1.5-2 Kb/s download speed and 12-15 Kb/s upload speed. What may be wrong? Several guys get 125 Kb/s download speed, and more.

Can someone help?
    Tks

4. timlam

timlam Guest

Try using a different IP address for you router other than default IP address. Cable are sharing the line with others and if everyone is using the same IP address, it will takes longer time for the data to return. I changed my and it runs faster now, but still looking for more improvement. Anyone has more suggestion?

5. Taintedl

Taintedl Member

I have a dynamic ip address

6. Jeubanks

Jeubanks Member

Well, I for one would open up my UDP port. See if the speeds increase. You said that you had it disabled.

I was wrong about my problem on this thread, which I resolved on another one. I had azureus showing Kilobytes instead of kilobits... Big difference. I thought I had been getting 300 kilobits, when in fact it was kilobytes. So I have no more mix ups. Try switching your units over.

7. jetyi83

jetyi83 Regular member

udp is only used for azureous or whatever its called i think

but i cant even get fast downloads when i plug straight into the modem.. is there any type of configuration i need to do to set it up right? after weeks of setting up my router over and over and nothing working.. i decided to just bypass it, but i get the same proble,.

8. cybershot

cybershot Member

im having problems too, i have comcast,bittorrent,linksys wrt54g. i forwarded ports 6881-6889 and did all that crap and my dl speeds are 10-20kb/s and my uploads are 5-10 kb/s.....thats is pretty sad for a cable connection. wat am i doing wrong? i have my windows xp firewall off becasue i use norton av internet security. i added the ports therer too....this is soo frustrating, y are my speeds so slow after i did the forewarding and everyone else's magically get N.O.S after they do that.

help would apreciated.....greatly

i read something about needing a static ip adress would this apply to me considering i have cable?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2005
  9. jetyi83

jetyi83 Regular member

yeah set a static ip through xp.. but i did that and it still doesnt work.. im using cable and my speeds are around 20-30, they reach 40 sometimes, but usually stay around 25.. with uploads around 60.

takes 2-3 days to get a full 4 gig file. kinda sucks.

10. cybershot

cybershot Member

now wud some1 wanna tell me how to make my win xp media center edtion have a static ip? or shud i google it?