1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cable Modem Problems

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by raivlin, Jan 19, 2005.

1. raivlin

raivlin Member

I was at a friends house yesterday trying to get his internet working. Appearently he is only getting limited or no connectivity. When I try to unistall the driver to reset it, it says it is needed to boot up the computer. I tried uninstalling it in safe mode and that worked, but when I reinstalled the drivers...Nothing changed. He's talked to Comcast and they were no help whatsoever. One lady told him to just reformat cus its easiest. Is there any way we can get around that? If you need specs or anything, let me know cus its gonna take a little time...

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

is cable modem, network or usb??

3. raivlin

raivlin Member

Usb, but he has an ethernet card and cord that I tried but...no success.

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

1:you're not trying both cables at once are you
    2:what windows is he using??

5. raivlin

raivlin Member

1: hahaha, nope.
    2: Windows XP home, he said it happened a day or two after he installed the new Service Pack

6. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

HighSpeed comes in two flavours, in my neighborhood anyway: Cable (cable modem) or PPPoE (telephone-line modem).
    Both can connect via Ethernet, either via Network Interface Card or using USB NIC (their little USB adapter is actually a USB NIC device).
    The NIC can be old, as 10/100 is not really required, however even hooking up at 10 works better on a modern 10/100 NIC.
    Typically you would set your NIC to DHCP, so it will be assigned its IP Address and DNS server address automatically.
    Some systems require a specific Username or something to be setup a certain way, others just hook right up via DHCP.
    Some Cable Modems will not release their address properly, even switched off.
    They must first be unplugged from power for maybe 30 seconds, and then re-initialize when powered back up.
    To troubleshoot: from a DOS box type 'ipconfig'.
    'Ipconfig /?' is also useful...
    It will explain 'ipconfig /release' and 'ipconfig /renew' etc.
    Note that the commands are slightly different under Win98.
    Don't know what you mean. Drivers are req'd only for PPPoE (ie Bell Sympatico Highspeed) in which case your Ethernet NIC is only a 'PPPoE Tap' for the PPPoE WAN Miniport, which is a virtual (software) device.
    Let us know what medium and format this Comcast connection uses, and we can easily assist you to hookup.
    Tell the lady I said "reformatting is not an option" LoL :)
    Like DDP says - more info, please!
    Note: if this stuff was too easy, people wouldn't need Network Engineers like me... so don't feel bad.
    L8R

7. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

So, it used to work fine and then he installed SP2.
    Why couldn't you just say that in the first place?
    Hmmm... maybe the lady was right afterall, lol
    Sheesh.