1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cable Modem + Router.... Need HELP!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by 1Adonis4u, Apr 3, 2004.

1. 1Adonis4u

1Adonis4u Guest

Hello there guys, I need help, please!

I had my network going between 3 computer using:

1) Motorola SB4200 Cable Modem (Ethernet or USB)
    2) Linksys Router BEFSR41 ver 2

Everything worked great for a long time and one day all of a sudden the Modem's "Activity" light (the yellow one that indicates that it is communicating with router/computer) went off, all the other lights are on, except that one.

Called my ISP and they say that the modem is on-line and working... weird thing is that my modem doesn't communicate with router or any of my computers via Ethernet anymore, it works great with USB though!

I think my modem is bad... what do you think, any ideas?

Thanks,
    Adonis

2. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

It sounds like a bad ethernet port. Have you tried connecting a PC directly to the modem? The reason I ask is that I've seen a lot of Linksys hubs/switches/routers develop bad ports over the years, so it may be the router and not the modem.

3. 1Adonis4u

1Adonis4u Guest

vurbal:
    Thanks for your response... Yes, I've tried connecting the modem directly to all 3 of my computers via Ethernet but none work even after re-setting the modem. The weird thing is that all of them work when connected to the modem via USB...
    what gives?

I've tried going into the command prompt and do the "ipconfig" but it doesn't give me anything at all other than a bunch of zeros, it doesn't show ISP or my IP address.

Thanks again,
    Terminator

4. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

That most likely means that the ethernet port is the problem. That wouldn't stop the modem from functioning or the USB port from working. You can either get a new modem or keep using USB. I'd recommend replacing the modem as USB isn't a great option for networking.

5. 1Adonis4u

1Adonis4u Guest

vurbal:
    Thanks bud... Yes, I will replace the modem with a Toshiba version since I read somewhere that Motorola is not very compatible with Linksys routers...

My router doesn't have USB connection so I will be forced to buy new modem, will find it on Ebay for cheap though :O)

Thanks again and I'll let you know if buying new modem fixes problem.

Adonis

6. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

Just to add my 2ยข.........

The Motorola modems have trouble with Linksys routers that are branded "Cisco" on the front. That is, at least until you download the firmware update for the Linksys router.

7. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

ken... can i get a model number of one of those motorollas? I think ive got a m'rolla at home with a Linkey but not sure :)

8. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

I'll check this evening for you, Praetor. (I'm at work right now)

9. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

If this is true that would explain why my speeds drop to nill when I use my Motorola Cable modem with my Linksys BEFSR41 version 1 (which means I can't upgrade it because it won't flash).

10. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

If it won't flash anymore you might want to call them for an RMA.

But yeah. I had a client with 8 or so computers on their network. The router died so I had them get another one. But it kept dropping IP's. I came in and it did the same for me. Called the cable company and the first thing he asked was "is it a Linksys router? Does it say 'Cisco' on it? Take it back."

That was 2 months ago. Now they have a firmware update here: http://www.linksys.com/download/firmware.asp?dlid=3

11. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

Looks like my cable modem's model is called: Cyber Surfer Wave Modem

12. Oner

Would I still be able to RMA it since it's like 3 years old??? I guess it doesn't hurt to call them up or email them huh.

13. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Hello Ken0042 or anyone else.
    I am thinking of buying a Router, the use doesn`t really require one, but I might get cable internet one day. But anyway looking at geting a D-Link 704P to network a Mac OS 8.6 with TCP/IP to Linux, Win98SE and WinXP. I have a bunch of computers. The new version C looks good and has a printer server that has been known not to work with my printer (HP 832) unless you print though a computer connected. But I can play with that.

Question has anyone heard good or bad things about D-Link 704P? I am thinking it should be plug and play between the Mac and the PC's, as all have DHCP am I wrong?

Let me know what you thing.

14. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

Oner- from what I recall from when I RMA'd mine, they have some ridiculously long warrenty period. It's either 5 years, or lifetime, or something like that. I found their 1-800 process a pain, but eventually got my router replaced.

Prisoner- I've never dealt with Mac's. Too few mouse buttons for my liking. (haha)

But I have set up TANs using the D-Link router and found everything very much plug and play. I've never used the print server capabilities though. I found it's just as easy to install a printer locally on one computer and share it out.

15. Oner

Prisoner if you have a bunch of PC's make a router/firewall out of one of the old ones with a free aplication like SmoothWall. All you need is a few NIC cards and you're ready to go! Plus you get the extra benefits like a file server and a place to store your PC backups from something like Norton Ghost or Dantz Retrospect. Also if you install gigabit nics you will get te extra speed whereas all inexpensive routers are only 10/100 (although you could remedy that with a switch but that's just more money!).

16. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

I did think of that, but right now I have one computer per OS I mainly use (Mac, Win98, Redhat, WinXP). But the max I could connect to the Mac is 10 anyway, as its fairly old but I got it for free so can`t complain.

Also I have priced it and for good cards and upgrades, it would be more than $70(CAN) which is how much I can get the D-Link DI-704P for which has 4ports.
    But thanks for the idea. I didn`t know about smoothwall. I was looking at Linux as a server.

17. Oner

Last edited: Apr 8, 2004
  18. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Well not really. The Linux computer only has three more PCI slots free. The Win98 also has 3 slots (2 PCI or 3 ISA) these share the remaing three ports I have free. So as ISA network card suck, I really only have two PCI slots free, so not really possible to use it as server for all the systems I have. Also might add more computers in the future. An SGI might be need for some imaging I will be doing.

19. 1Adonis4u

1Adonis4u Guest

Hey guys, I'm the one with the original problem... just got my new Cable Modem (Toshiba PCX2600) and everything works like a charm... highly recommend this modem, it works beautifully and it only costs around $55 shipped!

Just thought would post some feedback... My router wasn't the problem, it seems as though the Ethernet port on my old (Motorolla) modem went out!

Cheers,
    Terminator