1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cable vs DSL Broadband, Pros and Cons

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by ScubaBud, Mar 25, 2005.

1. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

I currently have BellSouth FastAccess DSL Xtreme which package consists of:
    * 3Mbps downstream X 384Kbps upstream [bold](actually get 2.4Mbps x 313bps)[/bold]
    * Static IP
    * 1 back-up dial account
    * 8 mailboxes per account
    * 25MB storage per mailbox
    * 10MB personal Web space

[bold]All I really care about is the speed and up time.[/bold] I have never used cable and now that it is available in my area with 5Mbps down and 500 up, I believe, I wanted to know if it truly delivers as promised. My DSL has been down three times since I’ve had it for over a year now, two of which were do to the hurricanes, and one to a switch problem at their facility.

If you have cable, what speeds do you really get based on what’s promised, up and down?
    How often do you have an outage, if any?
    If you run speed tests online, do you see a slowing at any given time of the day?
    Why do you prefer one type over the other?
    Etc.

Here are some speed tests that you could use to see what your broadband speed is currently.

http://wdc.speakeasy.net/
    http://www.pcpitstop.com/internet/default.asp
    http://bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/

Answers to questions like these would be greatly appreciated by myself and I’m sure by many others as well.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2005
  2. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

Hey ScubaBud,

Cable will definately fluctuate because you are sharing it with others in your neighborhood.

I have cable at home, and I love it to death! The only time that I have any slowness is when I download multiple things, and someone is uploading from me.

That's about it. Surfing the web, getting video feeds, and stuff like that...works like a charm.

I have Adelphia Cable Internet, here in VA. I only have had 1 real outage, but that was because the system was being upgraded. For your speed test, try this:

http://reviews.cnet.com/7004-7254_7-0.html?tag=cnetfd.dir

As far as preferring one over the over, I really don't see much of a difference, with the exception of fluctuation. But it REALLY isn't that bad, especially for playing online multiplayer games.

Hope this info was useful to you!

;)

-----------------------------------------------------

*UPDATE*

I just did the speed test you provided from the last link and I wanted you to show you my results:

Communications 2 megabits per second
    Storage 244 kilobytes per second
    1MB file download 4.2 seconds
    Subjective rating Great
    Data size 1024KB

Now all this stuff is like Chinese to me, but hopefully it is something useful to you. Mind that, at this moment, I am downloading right now, and it might be totally different from when I am not doing anything on my computer.

;)

3. Jizmak

Jizmak Regular member

Dsl.
    Verizon.
    2005-03-25 12:24:03 EST: 1174 / 372
    Your download speed : 1202363 bps, or 1174 kbps.
    A 146.7 KB/sec transfer rate.
    Your upload speed : 381339 bps, or 372 kbps.

4. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Venom, try the top speed test if you get a chance and let me know what you get, sort of like this:

[​IMG]

Thanks

5. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

Hey ScubaBud,

Ask and ye shall receive:

[​IMG]

Hope this helps!

;)

6. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Thanks Venom, now the question is, do you know what they rated your service at, 3Mbps or 5Mbps.

7. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

No problem, Scuba.

Nope...how can I find that info out?

8. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

It should be part of your service plan, the way they advertise their broadband packages in your area, and based on what your monthly service plan is. It’s not that important since I would believe that it was the 3Mbps. If it was the 5Mbps, then you would be getting screwed big-time by delivering less then half of what they advertise.

9. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

Can I get that type of information through my company's tech support, or do you think I can go on their website to get the info?

The documentation that I have, I don't think it states it in there.

10. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

I would just hit the website and match what you pay per month to their plans.

11. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

Hey Scuba,

I just got off the phone with my cable company.

The guy said that I had 3884kps, going up, and have 4mb, going down.

From what he said, I did have 3mb, but then they upgraded their system, and I am now on 4. He also said that there is a 6mb one as well, but that isn't over here yet.

Right now, I pay about $50 or so a month. I am leasing th modem as well, but it is only like $2 bucks extra.

12. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

OK, thanks :)

Now that is interesting since that one test you did only gave you 1,957 down which is about half of what it should be then. No need to keep posting but I would try several tests every so often using that link I showed you since they are the equivalent to and AfterDawn, but for Broadband instead, dslreports.com! Maybe after a couple more tests you could let us know what you got for down speeds. The up speeds will be close for the most part. It would also show once and for all if different times of the day do affect Cable Broadband vs DSL. I’m not going to pull the plug just yet until I find out a bit more. Thanks again for all your help. :)

13. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

Yeah, I will keep running the tests every so often to see how much it fluctuates in the numbers.

No problem...anytime!

;)

14. SPIKISH

SPIKISH Guest

hey guys whats going. i recently returned to the horrific and bile world of dial up ever since i moved and havent got a job yet =)

but good news im planning on getting verizons dmax dsl.

My question is they have a modem they give for free for the basic plan for 128kbps, and then they have a 2 wire modem which is 49.95 for their highers speeds(256-3mb), because supposedly the free modem would burn if i were to use it on a higher speed than 128kbps. Is this true..??? Is this other more expensive modem necessary for the faster speeds???

also, i have my old dsl modem, now would i be able to order the dmax verizon dsl and install it with my old dsl modem or does it have to be the modem they give me??

thanks......

One