1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calling all Experts...

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by umgrad76, Dec 22, 2004.

1. umgrad76

umgrad76 Member

I recently purchased a new computer the details of which are included in the thread below. I transferred my DVD-bruner from the old to the new. The new computer has all the beels and whistles, but the ripping and burning process is taking quite a long time of this computer. (1-1.5hr deep analysis, 1-1.5hr encoding, 2 hrs to burn). On my old computer P3 600Mhz, it only took about 15minutes to burn a DVD.

All the other information regarding this situation is in the thread below. I'm posting this to try to get a greater number of responses and possible solutions.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/137387

Thank you all for reading this and your help.

2. DennisLee

DennisLee Member

this seems to be everyones problem, it is very slow for some reason, check all the settings for the IDE device make sure its on ultra DMA, if not un-install it and then re-install, it has helped some people

3. umgrad76

umgrad76 Member

I did that and ended up with the same settings unfortunately.

4. umgrad76

umgrad76 Member

Anyone out there? I've tried a number of things found on this board and others to no avail. I still have one DVD-ROM drive with Ultra DMA mode 2 as the current transfer mode and I can't get the DVD burner that I added to change from PIO.

PLEASE HELP.

5. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Have you tried uninstalling the actual IDE controller (that your bunrer is connected to) in device manager and then rebooting?

Have you tried uninstalling your DVDROM and DVD burner (physically) then just reinstalling the dvd burner on it's own (without the DVDROM connected)?

Check your IDE ribbon aswell, for continuity (easier to just replace it)

6. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi baabaa,
    I second your motion! The last time my system choked on me, thats exactly what I did. It occured after changing burners. I fretted a bit though. I don't like deleting things like the IDE controller. worked perfectly though. Windows reinstalled it upon boot-up.

7. forkndave

forkndave Member

ungrad76,
    Have you tried running your burner by itself to see if it gets out of PIO mode. I would try it by itself and uninstall whichever ide channel it's on and reboot. If it switches to Ultra DMA 2 try reconnecting your DVD-ROM and see what happens. My Pioneer A07 and my DVD-ROM are on the same channel and they are both Ultra DMA 2. I have a Lite-On 1633S by itself on the other channel and it is Ultra DMA 4. That's because it's capable of 16X burning. You don't want to mix DMA speeds on the same channel because it will default to the speed of the slower one.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2004
  8. umgrad76

umgrad76 Member

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll be sure to give it a try when I get back from holiday vacation.

I have uninstalled both devices and the IDE controller with no luck. Everything went back to its original setting upon reboot (Device 0 - Ultra DMA mode 2 and Device 1 - PIO).

I will try physically removing the DVD-ROM drive and see what happens.

I've read a couple of threads noting difficulties similar to this due to a conflict with the driver and a particular make of motherboard (Via I think). How do I find out the mfg of my motherboard?

My computer is a new Dell XPS Gen 4, 3.8GHz with HT, 1GB DDR SDRAM. I would think all the drivers would be current, but perhaps something is getting stepped on with the DVD burner which was not factory installed.

9. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

I think we have seen this issue before with Dell computers. You can try this tweak if you feel adventurous: Back up your registry and then 0pen your registry editor. Go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEMS\CurrentControlSet\Control/Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}"
    The Default Value should be "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers"

Go to "0001" key if your device is on Primary IDE Chanel or "0002" if your device is on Secondary IDE channel
    and change the MasterDeviceTimingModeAllowed or SlaveDeviceTimingModeAllowed to 0xffffffff depending if your device is master or slave, close registry editor.
    Go to device manager select "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" and the corresponding IDE channel. Go to "Advanced Settings" Tab and Set Transfer Mode to PIO and then to DMA if available again. That's should do it.

On my computer the primary ide channel is located at 003 and the secondary channel is located at 002. I have a raid 0 setup so that probably accounts for that.

Be careful and do a registry back-up or at least write down the original settings before tweaking anything. Even if you don't change the settings you can at least take a look and see if they are different from what this tweak shows. I noticed that my SlaveDeviceTiming on my secondary was set to 0x0000000 (0) I didn't change it though.

Here is thread about this topic over at videohelp:
    http://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1133630

Cheers,
    Frank

Last edited: Dec 23, 2004
  10. umgrad76

umgrad76 Member

I've never messed with the registry and I am a little nervous about doing so. How do I go about backing it up and then if I need to refer to this back-up, how do I reload it?

11. Shinji19

Shinji19 Member

This is actually not so hard. Go to Start -> Run and then type "regedit" (without the quote marks), when the registry editor opens, go to File -> Export... (making sure that you have chosen "My Computer" on the left side of the screen) and then, enter a filename, and save the file wherever you like. If you don't like the changes, go where you saved this file, and double-click it (or enter regedit again, and choose "Import..."). answer "Yes", or "Ok", and that's it. Hope this helps.

Charlie.

12. umgrad76

umgrad76 Member

Thanks for the help guys. I'll give these suggestions a try when I get back from holiday. I'll keep you posted on the results.

13. umgrad76

umgrad76 Member

UPDATE:

Still no go.

I've tried all the above mentioned suggestions, with still no change.

I have changes the device settings for both devices from both CS to the burner (device 0) as master and the DVD-Rom (Device 1) as slave. This made no difference.

I removed each of the devices, one at a time. When I do this, I can get both drives to set as Ultra DMA mode 2 when there is only one drive on the IDE cable. As soon as I plug the second device in, the second device (device 1) stays at PIO.

I've also tried a different IDE cable (a spare I had). There was no difference.

Both of these drives are capable of Ultra DMA mode 2, as I have shown when I only connect one deivce at a time. There has to be a way to get them both to show as Ultra DMA mode 2 when connected to the same IDE cable.

Any more suggestions?

14. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Did you try deleting the IDE channel in question and then rebooting?

The PC tends to hang on to previous IDE transfer mode settings. Once it goes to PIO it will try to stay there unless you do the uninstall or the registry change.

What happened to me was that I could change the setting in device manager but as soon as I asked it to burn again, it would revert back. Uninstalling/rebooting worked for me. You didn't mention if you tried this so I thought I would ask.

15. umgrad76

umgrad76 Member

Yes, I uninstalled the Primary IDE channel (which in turn removed the DVD devices as well) and I restarted the computer. When I do this, both devices come up as PIO mode, then I set them both to DMA is available and restart and only one of the devices changes to Ultra DMA mode 2. The other (device 1) stays at PIO.

16. bigwop

bigwop Regular member

I have both my burner and dvd-rom on the secondary IDE channel. My hard drive is the primary. When I upgraded from cd burner to dvd burner I set the jumper the same as was on cd burner. One of the drives was in PIO mode, I forget which I did this awhile ago, and I did the right click uninstall secondary IDE and rebooted and it went to Ultra DMA. My burner and rom are ultra dma 2 and my hard drive is ultra dma 5.

17. bigwop

bigwop Regular member

18. umgrad76

umgrad76 Member

I just got off the phone with Dell Tech support (about two hours - mostly on hold). I was told that I cannot have two devices on the same IDE cable as DMA. I don't understand this. My dad's computer has two ide channels. Two HDs are on the primary channel and the two optical drives are on the secondary channel. Both of his devices are DMA.

My computer is newer and has a SATA HD and I have two optical drives. Both are on the primary channel and one is set up as a master (device 0) and the other is the slave (device 1). I cannot get deivce one in DMA mode. I can get device 0 to be either DMA or PIO.

I've installed a new chipset driver per Dell's recommendation. No change. The last tech support person I spoke to said that it is not possible to have two devices on the same cable in DMA. I don't know if I believe this.

19. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Don't do it again - it's in the forum rules in case you missed it the first time you read them ;)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2004
  20. umgrad76

umgrad76 Member

My bad.

Do you know the answer to the above mentioned question, however?