1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

camcorder to DVD, quality not soo good

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by toobad, Jan 16, 2004.

1. toobad

toobad Member

Hi All

I have just recently purchase a backPack RW (+ -) DVD burner. I used the software that came with it to burn my first DVD - MyDVD. However, I am really disappointed in the quality of the output. I only played it on my pc since I have yet to buy a dvd player.

I captured my home movie from my digital camcorder via firewire. The picture looks dull and animated. I was expecting the same output like when transfering the digital tape to video. Is this expection too high?

Also, I noticed that MyDVD saves the file in MPEG format. Does this have something to do with it?

Did anyone eles experience something similar?

Thanks
    Maria

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Your Whole Problem comes down to useing MyDVD..All of the Programs that claim to do it all Like capture,encode ,edit and author to DVD don"t do any of these Things very well...If you want the Best Quality you are going to need a DV Capture/Editing Program...When useing the Proper Capture Software the Transfer of the Information in your Camcoder to your PC is 100% Lossless which means that there is No differance in Quality from what is on your Camcorder to what is on your PC ,And the editing Program has to be able to edit in this Format...After you have your Video Captured and edited then you will need to Encode it to a DVD Compliant Mpeg2 File useing a High Quality Mpeg encoder and there are only a small handfull of Mpeg encoders that are even worth useing...After the File has bee encoded to a High Quality DVD Compliant Mpeg2 file you will need to author this File to DVD useing a DVD authoring program, MyDVD is a Authoring Program But you saw what it does to your Video once it gets ahold of it so It would be best to use something else....Going From DV Camcorder to High Quality DVD"s can take Quite a Bit of Learning and Quite a few Bucks in Software...I know poeple who do this type of stuff as a Hoby ,You know Takeing Footage of Weddings and Camping Trips or Party"s or the New Baby ect and they have spent Literally thousands of dollars on Software and Hardware for creating DVD"s From there Captured Footage...One Package that I use a lot is called "Vegas Video 4/DVD architect" it has you that is needed to go from DV Camcorder all the way to a profecinal Looking DVD, It will capture and edit and add transitions and effects and even clean up your footage and you can Make some scenes brighter if it is too dark and bring out dull colors and clear up a Blurry Image and many other things to the Video and audio ,It has a Very good Quality Mpeg2 DVD Encoder and a Dolby Digital audio encoder, it also has a full featured profecinal level DVD authoring program for creating your DVD"s...This Package generally sells for about $700-$900 US and this is one of the less expensive ones...So unless you want to get serius about this stuff all you can expect is what you Got useing MyDVD....Cheers

3. bode

bode Member

The adverts look great and give the impression everything is so easy, DVD? It's going to be great quality. All lies of course.

When I first got into this hobby, I didn't realise how much there was to learn. I've tried quite a lot of software and I've found that the most expensive software is easier and gives professional quality...surprise!

Trial versions are available for most software.

WinDV (free) for capturing from camcorder to pc..very reliable and quick to use.
    Sony Vegas 4.0 for editing the DV AVI files and encoding to MPEG 2.
    Sony DVD architect (trial) not bad authoring software.
    Sonic DVD Producer (trial) for professional looking dvds.

There are a lot of freeware programs available on the Tools section of the dvdrhelp forums.